Not losing weight

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Look I can't used a food scale, but I can read packaging and I can use the fist and palm method to track calories. And I'm not going to accept my weight the way it is because my clothes have become tighter for me. I've been on MFP for over a year but I haven't religiously tracked my calories everyday. Some days I don't log in. Also, how can I go below 1200 calories? Isn't that undereating?

Those methods are, quite simply, inaccurate. As has been mentioned, discuss this with your treatment team, so he/she/they can determine if this line of action is appropriate for you. If so, then they can help guide/refer you to do this in a good way for you.

• princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Look I can't used a food scale, but I can read packaging and I can use the fist and palm method to track calories. And I'm not going to accept my weight the way it is because my clothes have become tighter for me. I've been on MFP for over a year but I haven't religiously tracked my calories everyday. Some days I don't log in. Also, how can I go below 1200 calories? Isn't that undereating?

If you have been at this for a year, even being 200 calories under maintenance would have made you lose 20.8 lbs by now. I dont know your hight but I just put your age, weight, and sex into a calculator with the made up hight of 4ft 8 inches and it says for you to maintain your weight it would be 1800 a day.
  • she800hunter2014
    she800hunter2014 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I'm 23 years old, weigh 154lbs. In oct 2015 I managed to get my weight down to 136 lbs by diet and exercising but because of university and stress I've gained all the weight back. I've been eat 1200/1400 calories a day and I exercise three times a week. I sometime mix up hand weights at home, yoga or stretching. I've built abit of muscle. I'm at loss as to why it's been over a year and I'm not losing weight?! I am an ectomorph and endomorph! Pear shaped slightly! I'm desperate and want to do alternate day fasting?!

Look at the website Avatar Nutrition. It will calculate your macros based on information you plug in and what your goals are.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 4 height and I have no eating disorder anymore. Hence why I want to do this in the safest way possible and not starve myself. Exactly I don't understand why I haven't lost 20lbs...okay I will look into avatar nutrition. Thank you!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I'm 23 years old, weigh 154lbs. In oct 2015 I managed to get my weight down to 136 lbs by diet and exercising but because of university and stress I've gained all the weight back. I've been eat 1200/1400 calories a day and I exercise three times a week. I sometime mix up hand weights at home, yoga or stretching. I've built abit of muscle. I'm at loss as to why it's been over a year and I'm not losing weight?! I am an ectomorph and endomorph! Pear shaped slightly! I'm desperate and want to do alternate day fasting?!

Look at the website Avatar Nutrition. It will calculate your macros based on information you plug in and what your goals are.

I don't understand how this will help without accurate measuring.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you never fully recover from an eating disorder - its like alcoholism, its a daily struggle

people here are giving you advice, but you need to take it. Avatar nutrition may help you determine what you need to eat, but that won't help solve the problem of eating too much or too little - you need to weigh or measure food in some shape/size/form - a palm measurement doesn't help
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Is food scale the only other option for me then? I also use the food labelled on MFP. I guess I don't understand how it's been a year and I'm sick of dieting and I can't get below 154 lbs. I remember a few weeks ago I ate 500 calories in a day and I didn't feel any better.

Don't forget that many of the database entries in MFP are incorrect, as well. I understand that you're sick of dieting and not seeing any progress, but you really do have to accept that the reason why is that you're not measuring accurately.

To address the food scale issue: If the only reason why is that you don't want your family to see you using one, come up with an explanation that will make them less concerned. Try looking up recipes on the internet that measure in grams, not ounces/piece. Then, you're just trying to get the recipe right! Or, go with a less subversive explanation which is: you want to be at a healthy, comfortable weight and you want to be able to eat as much food as possible getting there. Using a food scale ensures that you get to eat as much food as possible and still maintain a healthy deficit (which for you may only be 250 calories a day). It doesn't have to be obsessive if you don't obsess over it. It only has to be a tool that you use to make sure that you're getting the nutrition and the calories that your body needs. As others have mentioned - talk to your ED treatment team. They may even advise you to use a scale!
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think because you are not accurately measuring your intake. Period. Believe it or not it's the truth if its been as long as you say it's been with no loss.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Is food scale the only other option for me then? I also use the food labelled on MFP. I guess I don't understand how it's been a year and I'm sick of dieting and I can't get below 154 lbs. I remember a few weeks ago I ate 500 calories in a day and I didn't feel any better.

Don't forget that many of the database entries in MFP are incorrect, as well. I understand that you're sick of dieting and not seeing any progress, but you really do have to accept that the reason why is that you're not measuring accurately.

To address the food scale issue: If the only reason why is that you don't want your family to see you using one, come up with an explanation that will make them less concerned. Try looking up recipes on the internet that measure in grams, not ounces/piece. Then, you're just trying to get the recipe right! Or, go with a less subversive explanation which is: you want to be at a healthy, comfortable weight and you want to be able to eat as much food as possible getting there. Using a food scale ensures that you get to eat as much food as possible and still maintain a healthy deficit (which for you may only be 250 calories a day). It doesn't have to be obsessive if you don't obsess over it. It only has to be a tool that you use to make sure that you're getting the nutrition and the calories that your body needs. As others have mentioned - talk to your ED treatment team. They may even advise you to use a scale!

Or it's possible the reason they don't want her using a food scale is that they don't share her conclusion that her ED is no longer an issue.

Great point, I didn't consider that! I fear that the OP will take the advise she's given here about measuring accurately and decide to just arbitrarily cut her eye-ball measuring by some degree, which could lead to under eating. I definitely don't want to encourage obsessive calorie restriction, so if food scales contribute to that (as opposed to helping her eat as much as possible within a healthy goal), I can absolutely see her family's concern :/.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is why you've been stuck. You've asked for help and received perfect answers for your question.

If family are concerned, explain that it's a tool to help you eat the correct amount to be healthy.

Ha this is exactly what i said to my husband when he showed concern about me weighing all of my food. I told him i use it to make sure i'm eating enough, because i undereat without it! He doesn't want me to lose any more weight, so telling him this got him off my back.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This is why you've been stuck. You've asked for help and received perfect answers for your question.

If family are concerned, explain that it's a tool to help you eat the correct amount to be healthy.

Ha this is exactly what i said to my husband when he showed concern about me weighing all of my food. I told him i use it to make sure i'm eating enough, because i undereat without it! He doesn't want me to lose any more weight, so telling him this got him off my back.

This actually is the case for me. In my case the food scale helps me reduce potentially triggering my ED - reducing food to numbers is immensely helpful.

What I wouldn't recommend is advising someone with a history of disordered eating to be untruthful with their family (who are likely their primary support system) about their motivation for particular weight loss related behaviours eg using a food scale. If you have an ED and weighing out your food could potentially trigger a cycle of over restriction then that really should be taken up with your doctor.

Very true. I have no experience with Eating Disorders, so fibbing to the family is not a great idea in this instance.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You say you eat high fat. How are you measuring high fat items? Like butter and oils for example?
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    I'm not in my eating disorder in the sense that I no longer starve myself or make myself vomit which is what I used to do. Yes, the demons do come back but I'm aware of them and I can stop myself from falling into the same trap. I'm much more aware about my thoughts and behaviour patterns. If MFP database entries are not correct then what is the most useful database? I'm confused now, so the food labels are inaccurate, MFP is too...so then what is accurate? Let's say I weigh a fish fillet or something...how am I supposed to get the data of the nutritional value of the food item?
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    You say you eat high fat. How are you measuring high fat items? Like butter and oils for example?

I measure by teaspoon
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm not in my eating disorder in the sense that I no longer starve myself or make myself vomit which is what I used to do. Yes, the demons do come back but I'm aware of them and I can stop myself from falling into the same trap. I'm much more aware about my thoughts and behaviour patterns. If MFP database entries are not correct then what is the most useful database? I'm confused now, so the food labels are inaccurate, MFP is too...so then what is accurate? Let's say I weigh a fish fillet or something...how am I supposed to get the data of the nutritional value of the food item?

You just need to choose your entries carefully. For things that don't have labels, search for the usda entry. For things that do have labels, make sure the entry matches what the package says.

Where you run into trouble mostly with the package info is the serving size. It will say something like one serving is 1/2 cup or 90 grams. But if you serve yourself 1/2 cup and then put it on the scale, it actually weighs 110 grams. The nutrition info on the package is measured for the gram (weighed) serving, then they guesstimate the cup/tablespoon serving size and often not very well.

If you really can't weigh your portions, focus on choosing correct entries, logging everything as accurately as possible (level off cups and spoons, don't shove things down into measuring containers, remember to log condiments and beverages). It won't be as accurate, but it could help. If you were really eating 1200 cals, you would be losing weight.

Also, you didn't mention your height, but at 154lbs you aren't much overweight. You should probably be expecting around half-a-pound loss per week, so it could take a month or so for any loss to show up on the scale. I don't know much about ED recovery, so I'm not going to go there. Please take care of yourself :)
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

Great point, I didn't consider that! I fear that the OP will take the advise she's given here about measuring accurately and decide to just arbitrarily cut her eye-ball measuring by some degree, which could lead to under eating. I definitely don't want to encourage obsessive calorie restriction, so if food scales contribute to that (as opposed to helping her eat as much as possible within a healthy goal), I can absolutely see her family's concern :/. [/quote]

This is why I won't use the scale...it can lead to even obsessive behaviour in normal people and I'm sure there are other ways to burn fat aside from counting calories? I'm positive I'm eating no more than 1500 atleast. The most I can do is make my portions smaller then. Any other tips for burning fat without weighing scales? I just want the fat gone that's my main concern. I even do abit of strength training so I can have some lean muscle too.