700-1000 calorie diet

Replies

• princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Willing to bet you are a teenager. :/
    This is not helpful or productive.
    It does not answer their question about regaining the weight after the diet, nor does it address concerns you may have about the health risks of such a diet.
    I'm not sure what is added by belittling them.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Eating less than 1500 calories is more than likely to cause metabolic damage, which actually slows down your weight loss, and 95% who lose weight by consuming less than 1500 calories gain back the weight they have lost and 75% actually end up heavier (according to the National Institute of Health, nih.gov if you guys want more information). I would suggest cutting your calories by 500 at most. Hope this helps! :)
    Not true for someone who is older and/or shorter female!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I'm hungry just reading this. I eat between 1100-1300 and most days I'm hungry at.
    If you're hungry, you need to increase your calories as well.
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Willing to bet you are a teenager. :/
    This is not helpful or productive.
    It does not answer their question about regaining the weight after the diet, nor does it address concerns you may have about the health risks of such a diet.
    I'm not sure what is added by belittling them.

Because if the OP is under 18 she's breaking the rules by even being on MFP. And a lot of adolescents are not educated in weight loss to know how low is too low.

There is nothing to suggest they are under 18.
    Anyone of any age can take up an unhealthy diet.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Is it the flag or the woo button we're meant to press?

This kind of diet is ONLY for those under doctors supervision. Eat more, now.

I believe it would be Flag - Report - Other :drinker:
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    You'll likely gain it all back and then some far sooner than you get to goal. You're body is designed to compel you to eat when you are starving it and it's really hard to fight biology on this.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    edited July 2017
    Personally, I hate diets. It should be a lifestyle change. Like I am Type 2 Diabetic. So I have to stop drinking sodas and the doctor has me on a 150 carb diet. I have to make these changes for life.
  • TJarsun
    TJarsun Posts: 1 Member
    evie21xo wrote: »
    Hi, I'm on a 700-1000 calorie diet. I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. I've read online that this kind of diet is hard to maintain and that I would gain it all back. But if I reach my goal weight and bump up my calories little by little (week 1: 1000, week 2: 1100, and so on) will I still gain the weight back? Or will my body adjust

If you lose weight fast you will gain it back fast! If you want your body to adjust just eat more (1000-1200 cal) and go low on fat. That way you keep losing weight but at a lower pace and your body has time to adjust.
    If you keep going with such a low calories diet your body will try to maximize the nutrients it can get from food and keep the wasted food as minimal as possible, so the moment you eat more it will keep non wasting nutrients and gain back weight.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    edited July 2017
    kimny72 wrote: »

The lowest height on the healthy weight charts I could find is 4'10", and the low end of the healthy weight range for that height is 91 lbs. I then used a BMR calculator for an 80 year old female 4'10" and 91 lbs and got a BMR of 775. BMR is bare minimum alive but doesn't move. So unless someone is an elderly woman under 5", already a low weight and who never gets out of bed, less than 1000 calories is not appropriate.

A little off topic but the chart stops there because below that is dwarfism. Just in case anyone wanted to know why it stops there.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    I've been on a medically supervised diet of less than 1000 calories. It's not very sustainable especially if you exercise and do a lot of cardio ( unless you've had gastric sleeve or something in which case, ask your doctor). You'll set yourself up for binges when the cravings get too severe and because you're having to limit SO much, it's hard to incorporate anything about the diet into your lifestyle. My doctor recently agreed to bump me back to 1200/day and it's so much more doable for the long term. I mean, really, really achievable. I even get to go over that amount a little and eat things like jimmy johns and mcmuffin s if I go to spin class. A lot easier to balance things and I'm still losing weight.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    edited July 2017
    MyPlate won't recommend any fewer than 1,600 calories. Even if you were a 90 lb, 5'0, 62 year old lady. It also recommends a certain amount of physical activity, so eating significantly above BMR would probably be necessary.
  • Kristen8912
    Kristen8912 Posts: 32 Member
    I completely understand you. I did this in the past. It was great while I was doing it because I got so skinny... but I also lost my period for a year, had major sleep issues because I was so hungry, and started losing my hair... once I upped the calories, I gained it all back and then some... so it didn't work for me... I'm now trying to lose baby weight the healthy way... takes longer but without the nasty side effects...