Tell me about your Zumba experiences

Options

Replies

• Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My first Zumba experience is when I walked in on my girlfriend while she was doing it..it was like a full body dry heave set to music..it wasn't pretty!

After my insanity fit test today I did the same short videos over again. I probably looked similar to what you described. My SO didn't say anything and he wouldn't because I've seen him try to dance. Lol.
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    I think for me it will get fun once I've learned some moves. I tried again tonight, not as challenging as yesterday. I used to belly dance almost 10 years ago. It's obviously very different, but I think I'm going to like it.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've gone through insanity twice and loved it! Its so intense. I've tried Zumba classes a few times and I'm so uncoordinated it was embarrassing and I hated it. I spent so much time trying to figure out the moves that I didn't get in a good workout at all.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I used zumba as a way to get a bit more active and back into the gym.

I was fairly good at it because I was a competition dancer as a kid and I'm a music teacher with a decent sense of rhythm. I'm the type that wants to be up front in class.

A lot has changed since then though! I no longer attend zumba classes.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on 3 weeks of Insanity! I tried Zumba many years ago and hated it. It didn't feel natural or comfortable to me, but I recently gave it another go and it was definitely the instructor. I am taking 2 instructors now and love them both but they are different. I sweat like crazy in both but one focuses more on toning by incorporating things like 30 burpees in a routine. It's definitely not a "blow off" workout as I have seen many walk out after a few songs, it's all about effort. You got this! :-)

The instructor makes all the difference!!!! I've been to so many different Zumba classes over the years... some I've hated, and some I've loved. I've danced all my life, so I've found I most enjoy a local instructor who incorporates a lot of hip-hop and has some more advanced routines. Other friends of mine gravitate towards classes that have more "oldies" songs, or more bhangra. It's all personal preference, that's one of the reasons I love it so much!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Jdismybug1 wrote: »
    I think for me it will get fun once I've learned some moves. I tried again tonight, not as challenging as yesterday. I used to belly dance almost 10 years ago. It's obviously very different, but I think I'm going to like it.

I took belly dance lessons for a bit, and I found that it helped me with Zumba more than I thought. Even marching band, all the way back in high school. If you can find the beat, you'll be okay. Everything else just takes practice!

I take it you're doing this at home by following Youtube videos? Have you found any you've really liked?
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    Jdismybug1 wrote: »

I took belly dance lessons for a bit, and I found that it helped me with Zumba more than I thought. Even marching band, all the way back in high school. If you can find the beat, you'll be okay. Everything else just takes practice!

I take it you're doing this at home by following Youtube videos? Have you found any you've really liked?

I've found two that I like so far. They're short 5 minute ones. No real instructions, I just follow along.
    I've been trying to do everything at home. I always feel I have better success at home than the gym.
    I do not like going to the gym.
    For me about the time I get there, there's too many people, too much chaos, and no where to park. Lol.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I mean, if it works for you, keep doing it.

It was NOT for me. I prefer higher intensity cardio for my cardio (I mostly run, with a bit of cycling) and so it felt like spinning my wheels a bit. Plus I'm not particularly coordinated so I look like a dingus dancing.

I've taken a few dance classes, some yoga, even hooping, and several different types of group fitness and overall I just don't think I'm a group exercise kinda person if the goal is actual exercise. I like taking a drop-in yoga class or a short session of dance classes with my friends but it's really for the social aspect. For fitness I'd rather be on my own, focused on myself and pushing myself independent of anyone else...plus I feel like an hour's run is a much harder workout for me than an hour of Zumba or whatever, no matter how hard I try to push myself. I dunno what my issue is but there you are.
  • Danicandothis
    Danicandothis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love it! Best way to do cardio.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy it. I just couldn't keep up with the moves, I'm pretty uncoordinated that way. I'd rather an elliptical or treadmill and some headphones.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I thought the music was absolutely horrendous from start to finish, so I didn't return. My friend loves Zumba and said she was shocked that I was better at keeping up than she was but I just hated it so much.

It was ALL about the music for me...I could not get over it. If they did something similar with music I'd consider "better", maybe I would return. I looked at a Jazzercise playlist and had the same kind of problem. I can't handle it.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I love it, too! It took a while for me to warm up to it, as it just zigzagged in no discernible pattern. I just wish it would fit into the corners better.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can always buy a $9 Zumba DVD at Walmart and practice first if you're nervous. Or even YouTube some basic Latin dance moves like salsa, meringue, cha-cha. It's so fun you barely think about how hard you're working! Some of the ladies let me use some baby-powder to put on the bottoms of their shoes so they can slide a bit easier. I was very nervous to take my first class but you gotta start somewhere!
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    My cousin had one. It scared the hell out of his cat.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    SaintGiff wrote: »
    My cousin had one. It scared the hell out of his cat.

Oh! I have the cure for this. My cat was terrified of it, too, until I trained her to ride on it. Now, she loves it. Like a little captain piloting the seas.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I tried it, it was fun!
    How hard it is depends on the instructor and their choreography. Some keep it pretty simple to follow and others like to make it look like an MTV music video. You might want to ask the instructors themselves how easy the choreography is if you're unsure.
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm a Zumba enthusiast! I've always loved to dance so this fits the bill for me. You can keep it low impact or go higher for more burn. I fit it into my fitness rotation at least once per week...along with jogging, lifting, and HIIT classes. It's my 'let loose, boogie and have fun' burn!!!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Did a few Zumba DVD's with my wife and daughter. My other daughter invited me to a Zumba-thon at her place about 3 hours away. We went and had a blast for 3 hours. Sweated like crazy, but I still didn't think it was much of a workout. So we drove home and stopped after about 2 hours for dinner. I opened the car door and stepped out and fell straight to the ground. My legs wouldn't hardly function. I was okay after a few minutes, but walked kinda funny for the next 2 days. THAT'S my Zumba experience!
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I took a Strong by Zumba class at my local YMCA. It is NOT Zumba at all! I was in for a shock when it turned out to be HIIT class to zumba music.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Although I'm pretty antisocial and only say "hello" and other niceties despite taking about 3 hours of different classes daily, that I actually push myself harder in classes than I do solo. When I'm exercising solo, my mind drifts off....I'm listening to my music....suddenly I'm toiling away for 2 hours to get the same thing I get from focusing on an instructor and trying to "keep up" with the pace of a group class. For me, I never EVER thought I'd like group fitness because I never engage in the social aspect at gyms.....but instead, classes have become a place where I focus on nothing but the moves and following the instructor and suddenly 1 hour or 2 hours or whatever is over and I've gotten in more than enough cardio and strength training for the day and the rest is "extra". I guess it depends on whether the group setting is more a distraction for you or a motivational tool.

The people who socialize in "little groups" annoy me, but I just set up my area and wait for class to begin and ignore them *politely*. That part really doesn't bother me enough to make the classes not worthwhile. The need to be there at a certain time, start at a certain time, do certain moves, etc (the "routine" I guess) of group fitness classes makes it easier for me to never slack off.