having difficulty losing the weight

Options
Hi everyone- I've been at the same 156-158- I am 5'4 depending on the time of day for about a year now. I workout pretty regularly- walking, going to the gym, biking, jogging- Most days I get my 10,000 steps via my fitbit. I really try and like to workout since it is a stress reliever for me. I am also just starting to cut out meat from my diet since I don't really like it anyhow.
My question is it says I need to consume 1200 calories per day to lose 1-2 pounds per week. Is this accurate with working out also? I feel like I probably consume more than this but don't count exactly. I never can seem to "stick with" counting calories. I try to eat clean most days but do enjoy a "drink" every now and again- probably 2x per week. I would like to ideally lose 20 pounds but just to start 10 would be nice!!!! Any help would be great- thanks!

Replies

• aribel95
    aribel95 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was at 195-198 for years and as soon as I got this app I started losing weight I'm at 188 now and I've only had this app for 25 days, you can put in you exercises to get more calories to eat.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    With the app on a smartphone and a trend weight averaging app to smooth out the womanly fluctuations, this experience of counting calories will be the most easy and convenient you've ever experienced. Give it an honest try for a month and see if you don't actually lose a few pounds!

With a goal of losing 10 or 20 lb, it will be slow to lose weight and difficult to stop eating at your 1200 calories. That is a number most folks can reach by lunch if they're not counting. I suggest that you change your weekly loss goal to 1 or 0.5 lb. That gives you a higher calorie target and it's easier to stay 'in the green' that way.
  • MazzyToday
    MazzyToday Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @JeromeBarry1 "Womanly fluctuations" is totally understandable, but also unintentionally hilarious to me.

I am totally stealing this as my explanation for everything I do. ☺️
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am, also, finding it difficult to lose weight...To be honest, most days I go "over" my alottment for the day...If I stick with it I WILL lose weight, as I did it a couple years ago(I lost forty pounds) The hard part for me is maintaining the weight loss...Losing it is one thing, maintaing it is damn near impossible...
  • snowintx
    snowintx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to up my calories to 1,400 instead of 1,200 because it is really difficult sticking to the 1,200. I lost 2 lbs. which feels like a miracle.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    1200 is really low. It seems a lot of people struggling on here are trying to go with the bare minimum. Then when they do that they develop things like "cheat days".
    If you are shorter go with .5 lbs a week. Definitely easier more natural and in my opinion more healthy
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 calorie and lost ten pounds in 5 weeks. I had to educate myself on healthier fooods, cut out carb snacking and weigh all food until it comes like second nature....I eat in moderation and meal plan out my meals for the day. I include exercise daily. My thoughts are, if I can't master self control then no goal will work. It was a hard month, I'm in week six and each day gets easier eating wise and I make sure breakfast is protein packed with lots of veggies. I plan on increasing calories as I lose as I become more active. I made two rules. No such thing as cheating, eat in moderation or small amounts of stuff you love and less frequent. I also made the rule that exercise will never be punishment for what I eat. I think 1200 cal is good for people who have over 40 pounds to lose.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 calorie and lost ten pounds in 5 weeks. I had to educate myself on healthier fooods, cut out carb snacking and weigh all food until it comes like second nature....I eat in moderation and meal plan out my meals for the day. I include exercise daily. My thoughts are, if I can't master self control then no goal will work. It was a hard month, I'm in week six and each day gets easier eating wise and I make sure breakfast is protein packed with lots of veggies. I plan on increasing calories as I lose as I become more active. I made two rules. No such thing as cheating, eat in moderation or small amounts of stuff you love and less frequent. I also made the rule that exercise will never be punishment for what I eat. I think 1200 cal is good for people who have over 40 pounds to lose.

I'd crack on 1200 cal, and I have about 88 more pounds to lose. I would starve on that amount.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options

Calorie allowance is down to the individuals gender, age, height and start weight, it has nothing to do with how much you need to lose. Most folks who have 40lb or more to lose will lose eating a fair bit more than 1200 unless they are incredibly short or are older. I myself have another 40lb to lose and eat 1600 calories per day plus all of my exercise calories (gross calories of 2100-2400 per day) and I lose at 1lb per week (lost 34lb already) which is the rate I intended to lose at.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You've got to start logging/tracking calories. My guess is you are probably eating more calories than you realize. They add up fast.