The importance of tracking/logging

Options
I went to the beach last weekend, and didn't track. I actually thought I had done a good job self regulating. Stepped on scale, gained almost 3 pounds in 4 days. I was astonished, because I really thought I had been reasonable.

Then I thought back to what I ate. One day, I had TWO donuts for breakfast, a crabcake sandwich with fries for lunch, and brat, pasta salad for dinner. Not to mention the random handful of pretzels/chips. And beer.

It's way too easy for me to eat way too many calories if I don't conciously track it. I mention this because I have had more than one person, after asking me how I've lost so much weight, tell me, "oh, don't track your calories. It doesn't work and it takes to much time. Just eat sensibly." But I can't just eat sensibly. I clearly need to track, otherwise, I naturally way overeat.

BTW, I love having someone who has been trying to lose weight unsuccessfully for literally years tell me how great I look, ask me how I lost the weight, then tell me I'm doing it wrong!

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yup water retention plus well all that food is in your gi track. It will leave in a few days. I agree however tracking keeps me responsible
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I re-learn both lessons over and over again as well: 1) Keep logging especially on maintenance. 2) Keep doing what works for you.

My favorite quote: "I want to go on a diet, but I don't want to become obsessed with what I eat." Well, you can't have it both ways!
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You didn't actually gain 3 pounds of fat in 4 days, (that would be 10,500 calories over your Maintenance calorie intake for those days). Most likely you're retaining water weight due to an increase in sodium and it will disappear over the next few days.

I'm sure that's a large part of it! But it was a good reminder for me that I need to log, because otherwise, I eat a lot more than I realize.

But I definitely had a lot more salt, and my ring was kind of tight yesterday, but loose again today.
    Although, I don't doubt that I could manage to eat 10000 calories over maintenance at the beach. There's a fabulous donut shop and BBQ place!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I actually found that after long enough of regular tracking, it's an ease on my mind to have it done and know what I can eat within a day to still fit within my goals AND feel comfortable bending and having a splurge day once in a while. It doesn't feel like more work anymore (and definitely doesn't feel obsessive) it feels like part of a healthy lifestyle. It takes the stress out of having to self regulate every meal and rely on hunger/satiation cues to keep you from over eating.

I still talk to quite a few people that say it doesn't work (usually for lack of trying...) and sure there are many days where I forget to pop in and click 'complete this entry' but I know for a fact I wouldn't have been able to reach my weight loss and now health goals without CICO logging regularly.

You got this! A couple days off track isn't going to do any damage long term if you head straight back to it.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    mom2kateRH wrote: »
    BTW, I love having someone who has been trying to lose weight unsuccessfully for literally years tell me how great I look, ask me how I lost the weight, then tell me I'm doing it wrong!

This! I say I've lost 30 pounds this year by weighing and tracking, and they say "oh, I hear you should XYZ (not eat after 6pm, save half of your plate for vegetables, etc.), you should try that!" Like they didn't just hear I've lost THIRTY pounds doing what I'm already doing. Just as bad is when they respond with "You've inspired me, I'm going to do the (insert random fad diet here) and lose a ton of weight!" Sigh.

I had an "off track" weekend, too, but I'm back to usual now and I'm waiting for the water weight to go away. Keep at it!
  • mom2kateRH
    Options
    I literally had someone tell me that I looked great, asked me what I did, tell me I was doing it wrong, and then say, "I'm going to send you a link to this diet I've been doing for the past 6 months. You eat a lot of X and really limit or cut out Y (can't remember exactly what you eat and what you limit, because I zoned out...)" why would I cahnge what is working???

but I definitely was glad I relaxed this weekend and had some fun! and didn't totally obsess about it. but it did shock me when I thought back to what I ate, and realized I had eaten WAAAAY more than I thought! Back on track now, though
  • mom2kateRH
    Options
    I actually found that after long enough of regular tracking, it's an ease on my mind to have it done and know what I can eat within a day to still fit within my goals AND feel comfortable bending and having a splurge day once in a while. It doesn't feel like more work anymore (and definitely doesn't feel obsessive) it feels like part of a healthy lifestyle. It takes the stress out of having to self regulate every meal and rely on hunger/satiation cues to keep you from over eating.

I still talk to quite a few people that say it doesn't work (usually for lack of trying...) and sure there are many days where I forget to pop in and click 'complete this entry' but I know for a fact I wouldn't have been able to reach my weight loss and now health goals without CICO logging regularly.

You got this! A couple days off track isn't going to do any damage long term if you head straight back to it.

this is inspiring!!! I'm not quite there yet, in terms of it not feeling like work, but I am getting there. And I'm being better about allowing treats and splurges. In the past, I was way too restrictive, and it led to failure. and feelings of guilt. which then led to more failure :smiley:
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with the OP's sentiment but dang, if you're going to overeat that's definitely the way to do it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I reached my GW in March and I'm still in the ballpark but not logging means weight creep for sure.
  • mom2kateRH
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I don't disagree with the OP's sentiment but dang, if you're going to overeat that's definitely the way to do it.

I didn't even mention the fried chicken, Mac and cheese and fried okra!! Good southern grub!!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

I didn't even mention the fried chicken, Mac and cheese and fried okra!! Good southern grub!!

You and I should never, ever, meet for a meal. It sounds like we love exactly the same things. If you start talking about greens, biscuits & gravy, or banana pudding, I'll know you're my food doppelganger!
  • mom2kateRH
    Options

You and I should never, ever, meet for a meal. It sounds like we love exactly the same things. If you start talking about greens, biscuits & gravy, or banana pudding, I'll know you're my food doppelganger!

Mmmmm...biscuits and gravy. And love greens, especially turnip greens. I'm very picky about my banana pudding, but I do love a good banana pudding