Which belief or beliefs have held you back from health/fitness goals in the past?

Options
2»

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I remember about 10 years ago thinking that to burn, say a pound, those 3500cals had to be burned from exercise only and food had nothing to do with it. Then I would ride my stationary bike for 30min and completely exhausted would see I've burned 200cals only and thinking this is rediculous and give up.
    I used to think at the time that losing 6-7lbs should happen in the span of several days (and I was normal weight trying to shed vanity pounds).
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    grmrsan wrote: »
    Cookies are yummy. As is icecream. And pizza. And cake with lots of frosting. And pineapple upside down cake...

I'm confused. Don't you think those things are yummy anymore? Is everything OK?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    The belief that hunger was a physical drive and I was at its mercy. Understanding the extent to which hunger is psychological (think about losing appetite when stressed, for example) let me spend some quality time retraining my fundamental attitudes; hunger is no longer an unignorable, insatiable craving. It's a suggestion, which I can ignore, and which goes away if I do.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    kyucifer wrote: »
    This thought held me back for the past five years: I'm meant to be this size and shape, and I should just love myself this way and there's no need for me to change.

I'm sure there are people for whom that is actually true, but it wasn't true for me. I was over-eating and unhealthy, and using this thought to mask how unhappy I really was.

This. I always thought 16 stone was just 'my weight'. Even when dieting etc I could never seem to break that for long.
    (tried slimming world and Alli pills, lost 2 stone but put it back on in a month and looked nowhere near as good as this time round with sustained effort and lifting!)

TmacMMM wrote: »
    I believed that my emotional state was inextricably linked to food. Sad? Eat. Stressed? Eat. Angry? Eat. Now I can see that they don't have to be linked. I find that exercise actually improves, instead of masks, my mental state. Food is a way to treat myself well -- for short-term fueling, satisfaction and satiety, and long-term health.

and this! I have learned so much about how to deal with emotional eating and eating when feeling anything. The logging has helped me to see whether a food is 'worth it' and keep me accountable, and keeps what I have achieved in view

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I used to believe I had to follow a diet perfectly..and of course when I wasnt perfect at it I'd throw the towel in. Once allowed more leyway and wasn't so tough on myself, I found success.

^^^ Me too.

I believed that if I had an unplanned snack at work, then I might as well have another, and whatever I wanted for my evening meal, and a big supper, and probably eat crap all weekend, and start again on Monday.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    That my success was linked to my weight... It was linked to sports and the requirement to be a certain weight for that. Took me 7 years to find self worth in other ways.

That I could eat whatever I wanted and my body would change for the better if I ate little enough of it.
    I was already at a reasonable weight, and it turns out what I needed to do was recomp, and am now happily leaning up on 2,000 calories a day but with carefully set macros.

That I could set an effective nutrition and exercise programme myself.
    Turns out I can't. I need the outside input of a professional who can look at my body and my diet objectively, and suggest a way forward that wasn't the one I would naturally have picked. Admitting that I didn't know my body as well as I should was hard, and handing control over to someone else was scary, but OMG the results have been SO worth it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I used to believe I was "too busy." Too busy to exercise. Too busy to meal plan/prep. Too busy to weigh foods. Now I work out 5 times a week for at least 1.5 hours, plan and prep my meals every day/week, and weigh everything. And I'm no more busy now than I was before. Huh. Weird.
  • shnutzer
    shnutzer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to think weight loss was primarily exercise and secondarily eating "diet foods" like salads. I thought I could never part with my favorite junk food and that I'd rather live a short life eating what I like than live a long life eating rabbit food and exercising. Learning what CICO is was a real eye opener.