Guidance on macros

Options
I'm trying to figure out what macros ratio is best to customize for myself on this app. I had a personal trainer a couple of years ago (until I couldn't afford her anymore), and she had me on "55/30/15." When I wrote that down I didn't put the order of what was what. Carbs/protein/fat? Protein/fat/carbs? I honestly can't remember. Anyway, I want to go back to the drawing board. I am a 41 year old female looking to lose about 30-35 lbs. I have not had a consistent workout routine over the past several years (I've ranged from running 5Ks to being almost completely sedentary). Cutrently, I am walking or doing run/walk intervals at least 2-3 times a week with a slow build up back to running. I hope that gives enough info. I'm thinking that carbs need to stay on the low end, but I'm not sure what percentages to shoot for on the macros. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Remember that calories are king for weight loss. Macro breakdown is personal preference - many recommend getting minimums of protein and fat (0.8g per lb for protein, and 0.35g per lb for fat), then making up the rest of your calories however you like. There is no reason to limit carbs unless you have medical reason to do so - they are satiating for many people.

Try different breakdowns to see what works for you. If you feel better eating higher carb, do that. If you're running you might find the carbs good for energy. If you feel better having more fat, do that instead!
  • cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Remember that calories are king for weight loss. Macro breakdown is personal preference - many recommend getting minimums of protein and fat (0.8g per lb for protein, and 0.35g per lb for fat), then making up the rest of your calories however you like. There is no reason to limit carbs unless you have medical reason to do so - they are satiating for many people.

Try different breakdowns to see what works for you. If you feel better eating higher carb, do that. If you're running you might find the carbs food for energy. If you feel better having more fat, do that instead!

That's true that calories really are king for weight loss. I shouldn't overlook that! I just know that I REALLY REALLY love carbs! I mainly just want a healthy balance of healthy food and healthy exercise. Perhaps if I continue to stay mindful of what/how I eat (and my daily calorie consumption) and keep my body moving, I shouldn't overthink it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    cdmanney wrote: »

Try different breakdowns to see what works for you. If you feel better eating higher carb, do that. If you're running you might find the carbs food for energy. If you feel better having more fat, do that instead!

That's true that calories really are king for weight loss. I shouldn't overlook that! I just know that I REALLY REALLY love carbs! I mainly just want a healthy balance of healthy food and healthy exercise. Perhaps if I continue to stay mindful of what/how I eat (and my daily calorie consumption) and keep my body moving, I shouldn't overthink it.

Nothing at all wrong with carbs - remember your body needs protein and fats for good health and proper function though, which is why getting minimums of those is often promoted.
  • cdmanney
    Options
    I'm thinking though for the purposes of this app I'm going to put down protein/fat/carbs as 40/35/25 as a jumpstart and see what that does.
  • xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Check out gaugegirltraining on YouTube. She has a series of videos on eating for your body type that I found super helpful!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    cdmanney wrote: »
    I'm thinking though for the purposes of this app I'm going to put down protein/fat/carbs as 40/35/25 as a jumpstart and see what that does.

That's a great split. :flowerforyou:
  • cdmanney
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate you all! :)
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you love carbs, eat carbs