I'm allergic to fruits and most vegetables.

124»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Has Op been here in the last 3 years since starting this thread?
  • libbyleebing
    libbyleebing Posts: 1 Member
    I am also allergic to many fruits, pineapple, apples oranges lemons strawberries, any kind of melon, some veggies raw cucumbers tomatoes as well as fish, I saw in this thread that it's rare but I don't think it is, it is just incomprehensible to some. My allergies started about about age nine and became more and more severe with age, I used to just be allergic to shell fish and pine apples, tomatoes, strawberries, but now I can't even eat tuna fish, and how did I discover this? Trial and error. I am currently trying to get my body back into shape, and it is exceedingly difficult when most diet foods are things I am allergic to. I have to keep it very very very boring and have succeeded for the past 17 days, not sure how I'm going to manage it for the rest of my life. Much like the original post, I can eat some of these toxic things when they are cooked. Apples for example or tomato sauce. Still it gets very discouraging because no one believes you can even be allergic to fruit and yet it is the case. Currently my breakfast is Vanilla Yogurt and a cup of coffee, my lunch a cereal. Dinner is really basic One portion of meat, one portion of a veggie that I can eat, broccoli or something along those lines. and one portion of yam or potato. I do snack. mostly because with the allergies I am very depleted of salt most of the time. So pepperoni as a snack helps and watching my calorie count, another snack of the same foods. Taking bread and sugar out of my diet has left very little and it's' tough to even get 1200 calories in. I don't feel like I am starving but it is really boring. I've never been fond of meat. I am however very grateful that at least there are some foods I can eat. Hopeful and trying hard not to get depressed about all the stuff I can't eat when I can't eat the stuff everyone else eats when they are eating well.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    seattle_hd wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome

OAS produces symptoms when an affected person eats certain fruits, vegetables and nuts. Some individuals may only show allergy to only one particular food, and others may show an allergic response to many foods.[8]
    Individuals with an allergy to tree pollen may develop OAS to a variety of foods. While the tree pollen allergy has been worked out, the grass pollen is not well understood. Furthermore, some individuals have severe reactions to certain fruits and vegetables that do not fall into any particular allergy category. In recent years, it has also become apparent that when tropical foods initiate OAS, allergy to latex may be the underlying cause.[9]
    Because the allergenic proteins associated with OAS are usually destroyed by cooking, most reactions are caused by eating raw foods. The main exceptions to this are celery and nuts, which may cause reactions even after being cooked.
    Cross reactions[edit]
    Allergies to a specific pollen are usually associated with OAS reactions to other certain foods. For instance, an allergy to ragweed is associated with OAS reactions to banana, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, zucchini, and cucumber. This does not mean that all sufferers of an allergy to ragweed will experience adverse effects from all or even any of these foods. Reactions may be associated with one type of food, with new reactions to other foods developing later. However, reaction to one or more foods in any given category does not necessarily mean a person is allergic to all foods in that group.
    Alder pollen: almonds, apples, celery, cherries, hazel nuts, peaches, pears, parsley, strawberry, raspberry
    Birch pollen: almonds, apples, apricots, avocados, bananas,[10] carrots, celery, cherries, chicory,[11] coriander, fennel, fig,[12] hazel nuts, kiwifruit, nectarines, parsley, parsnips, peaches, pears, peppers, plums, potatoes, prunes, soy, strawberries, wheat; Potential: walnuts
    Grass pollen: fig,[12] melons, tomatoes, oranges
    Mugwort pollen : carrots, celery, coriander, fennel, parsley, peppers, sunflower
    Ragweed pollen : banana, cantaloupe, cucumber, green pepper, paprika, sunflower seeds/oil, honeydew, watermelon, zucchini, echinacea, artichoke, dandelions, honey (if bees pollinate from wild flowers), hibiscus or chamomile tea
    Possible cross-reactions (to any of the above): berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc), citrus (oranges, lemons, etc), grapes, mango, figs, peanut, pineapple, pomegranates, watermelon

Yikes! Feel pretty lucky, I'm allergic to most tree pollens, fortunately not to fruit and veg.

Op some great informative responses on your post hope they help you figure out what to eat.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    You can't eat apples but you can eat applesauce? :huh:

Sounds odd, but it's possible. I have a friend who can't eat any raw fruits or vegetables but can have certain ones cooked. Whatever causes her problems breaks down in cooking, and in a few cases just from freezing.

And to the person who doubted it was possible to be allergic to fruit... it's actually quite common, though usually it's certain fruits, not all of them. (Passionfruit is dangerous for me. Fortunately it's not something I stumble across a lot in New England.)

Yep. A fructose allergy is a real thing, therefore you can be allergic to fruit. I also know someone who is allergic to raw vegetables. Well cooked vegetables are okay because cooking breaks down the enzyme they are allergic to, but they can't touch them until they are cooked. Thankfully, the only food allergy I have is to the histamines in alcohol. Doesn't make for fun happy hours but it's easy enough to manage.

OP- it sounds like you might want to check out a keto diet. It's not for me, but you might do well with it.
  • elffromspace
    elffromspace Posts: 1 Member
    Actually it's not as bad as it first seems! I suffer the same thing. Talk about the horror when I realized that a day in the cherry orchard and I could not eat any of those tasty treats without a severe itch and if I ate too many my throat and lips would swell up. If you have the common "Birch Allergy" then the secret is cooking. With carrots, even wrapping them in a damp paper towel and microwaving for 30 seconds gives them a light steaming which is enough for me to consume them without trouble. Be particularly careful of the skins, part of the plant closest to the flower and or pit. Radishes, turnips and cucumbers I can eat in moderation as long as I peel them. Apples are ok if peeled and I avoid parts too close to the seeds, but it's better if I steam or cook it. Try apple sauce, etc. Avoid those irritating dietary fads like "Raw Nuts" as those are likely to incite reactions as well. Roast my nuts please!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I'm allergic to pineapple and am sensitive to the other citrus fruits. I can eat an orange or have lemon/lime in water but if I touch the skin and get the oils on skin that isn't my hands (particularly my face or neck) I break out into an itchy, blotchy rash. Not serious but annoying. The pineapple thing is a bit more serious as I have symptoms including itchy tongue and throat which I guess are signals that it could develop into something worse.
    I can eat grilled or baked pineapple though because something in the cooking process neutralizes whatever is causing my reaction. Applesauce is cooked so I am guessing that is why OP can eat it.

Here are some of my most filling snacks that aren't fruit/veg/nut based:
    Cheese sticks are 50-70 cals per
    Make homemade baked tortilla chips
    air popped popcorn (corn in that form is more starch than veg so hopefully you can have that) or buy Boom Chicka Pop or Skinny pop
    Make some homemade granola you can mix with plain Greek yogurt
    Laughing cow cheese wedge spread on a Wasa cracker
    Mix some protein powder and greek yogurt into the applesauce to make it more filling.
    Can you have seeds like chia or pumpkin? Those are also good fillers for applesauce and yogurt
    Hard boiled eggs (or prepared in a way you like)

Find out if you can handle cooked fruits/veg. If you can eat cooked fruits and veggies that opens up a lot of other snack options. With your limitations though check out keto - might work really well for you since it requires limiting carbs and you seem to be allergic to those.

Allergic to fresh pineapple can eat tinned. Becoming allergic to oranges now :/

This reminds me of when I made Pineapple Snow as a dessert for Easter and the recipes said you must use canned pineapple or cook fresh as there is an enzyme in the fresh that needs to be inactivated by cooking in order for the recipe to work.

http://www.knoxgelatine.com/basics.htm

WHY CAN'T I USE SOME FRESH FRUITS WITH GELATINE?

Fresh figs, kiwi fruit, papaya, pineapple and prickly pears contain protease enzymes (enzymes which destroy protein). These enzymes have a softening effect on gelatine and prevent it from gelling properly. Boiling the peeled cut-up fruit for 5 minutes, however, will usually inactivate these enzymes, making all these fruits (except kiwi fruit) usable in gelatine recipes.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    monty619 wrote: »
    allergic to fruits and vegetables?? you mean u have some sort of anxiety issue with them right? don't think the human body would reject some blueberries and break out in rashes or throat closing up.

I'm allergic to blueberries and yes they do give me hives. I'm also anaphallactically allergic to bananas and would have died as a child if my parents didn't already have an epi-pen that was issued after I had a reaction to penicillin.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Check out the Food and Allergy Network. It is real people and you should not doubt people for saying they have an allergy. Too many times in the hospital. Cannot eat apples, nuts, peanuts, strawberries etc. etc. Can eat some fruit if it is in a different form. OP, do you carry with you at all times two epinephrines and Benadryl? You know as a little kid, when you are asking an adult if the potato chips have nuts and they laugh at you only for you to read that they are made from peanut oil, it can be very tough for every meal and snack. And so many other problems out there for the allergic, every day you are faced with a possible emergency.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    +Epipens