Questions regarding Biggest Loser

Options
I heard they work out like 4-6 hrs a day...I just wanted to see if anyone else has heard this as well?.....That is a LOT of hrs lol....no wonder they see double digits....*ponders if I could try it a few days a week*

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I heard they work out like 4-6 hrs a day...I just wanted to see if anyone else has heard this as well?.....That is a LOT of hrs lol....no wonder they see double digits....*ponders if I could try it a few days a week*
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, Jillian just said the ones that were still on the ranch worked out about 8 hours a day...compared to those that were at home.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Wow I prob wont be able to type the next day after even attempting something like that..
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    lol, could you imagine being off work for a week "sick" and then spending all that in the gym and then going back to work 20 pounds lighter.. :embarassed: :drinker:
  • tiarodwell
    tiarodwell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like watching the show because it is inspiring, but it is not realistic. Anyone trying this in the 'real world' needs to understand that a gradual process is the best way to loose weight. Most of us just can't workout for 8 hours a day, but we can make small changes that add up over the long run.
  • KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I like watching the show because it is inspiring, but it is not realistic. Anyone trying this in the 'real world' needs to understand that a gradual process is the best way to loose weight. Most of us just can't workout for 8 hours a day, but we can make small changes that add up over the long run.

And I was glad to hear Bob and Jillian acknowledge this tonight. It isn't realistic in the "real world" to drop that much at once, but it is doable to lose weight and that was the point they were trying to make this season. I am grateful for the show because they truly are changing lives.
  • cettefille
    Options
    I read that it's 8-10 hours a day while they're on the ranch.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    What the hell else they are going to do...eat cheerios, chew trident and take turns beating the crap out of Joelle?:laugh:
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    What the hell else they are going to do...eat cheerios, chew trident and take turns beating the crap out of Joelle?:laugh:

That would make a great reality show! :laugh:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    My bf and I have not watched this show, although I have seen results from the magazines I look at and online, so he was drilling me about the rules and all, of which I know none, so I guess i need to look more into it than just assuming I know....anyone have any advice how to explain to him and/or educate me on how it works? As an outsider he felt it wasn't fair...............teams get booted, etc. So hoping yall will help me clear this up!
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options

So funny !!

I thought it was a good show tonight.
    I appreciated the honesty of Jillian and Bob telling Alison not to candy-coat that 2 pound loss (Yellow team member, forgot her name). Tell it like it is .. it's not muscle gain at this point, it's just plain ole' lack of effort. (food & exercise)

I've heard Jillian say on the show that they work out 6 to 8 hours a day, and Bob said tonight that it's "their job" to lose weight right now. They work at it and work at it. Importantly, it's not reality for the rest of us to workout like the "Biggest Losers".

I feel sad that Carla missed her opportunity to stay but I think there is more to that story. Those two ladies are so "tough", neither one is going to let the other lead, such a struggling "friendship" .. a completely toxic relationship IMO . That's why it has ended.

I avoid all people who try to impose power over me, or belittle my efforts, or drain my energy with their "I'm a victim .... it's your fault " mentality.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

So funny !!

I thought it was a good show tonight.
    I appreciated the honesty of Jillian and Bob telling Alison not to candy-coat that 2 pound loss (Yellow team member, forgot her name). Tell it like it is .. it's not muscle gain at this point, it's just plain ole' lack of effort. (food & exercise)

I've heard Jillian say on the show that they work out 6 to 8 hours a day, and Bob said tonight that it's "their job" to lose weight right now. They work at it and work at it. Importantly, it's not reality for the rest of us to workout like the "Biggest Losers".

I feel sad that Carla missed her opportunity to stay but I think there is more to that story. Those two ladies are so "tough", neither one is going to let the other lead, such a struggling "friendship" .. a completely toxic relationship IMO . That's why it has ended.

I avoid all people who try to impose power over me, or belittle my efforts, or drain my energy with their "I'm a victim .... it's your fault " mentality.

My thoughts on those people.....So you didn't get a pony when you were a kid.....GET OVER IT!

I only keep positive people in my life.....we all have a way of going down that road every once in a while, but lord I stay away from those who live that way.............and those who do not accept their share of blame are even worse in my book.

Argh....going for my 60 cal rootbeer float.........

GO GREEN
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I only keep positive people in my life.....we all have a way of going down that road every once in a while, but lord I stay away from those who live that way.............
    :drinker: :wink:
  • cettefille
    Options
    I also watched tonight's episode. Clearly Joelle has some mental issues. I think she must be delusional, she really thought that she put her best effort this week? Every time they showed her she was wandering around doing nothing but looking at other people work out.... then she plays the victim. Carla should've stayed and sent her home to work out, then they probably wouldn't have gotten voted off tonight even if the results this week had been the same, because everyone else has had it up to here with Joelle and her excuses and mental issues...

then when they showed their 'reunion' in the coffee shop or wherever it was, and Carla asked Joelle if she could understand why she had reacted that way.... and Joelle said she didn't know what she was talking about.

Joelle has mental issues. And Carla needs to walk away from her and never look back!! I hope to see Carla looking great at the live finale.

Oh and I loved the part when Gillian and Bob kept it real when Aubrey only lost 2 lbs in a month and tried to act like she gained muscle... I lost more weight than that in 1 month and I wasn't working out at all. Just eating right and keeping within my calories.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I have watched every season with my wife. Random thoughts from last night.

I was never happier than when I heard Jillian last night speaking with the woman from the yellow team after her 1st weigh in. I think she shook her up a little.
    while I don't necessarily agree with everything she said right there (I DO see value in changing your size even if your weight doesn't change a ton, I feel she's dead wrong in that one), I think the message she sent was this:

Yes, mental issues are a big deal with weight loss and need to be faced to be healthy, BUT the scale doesn't lie, if you make the commitment and don't loose any weight when you are at that level of obesity, then you didn't work hard enough.

to her credit, that woman came out that week and kicked *kitten*. I think she just needed a little kick in the *kitten*. Bob and Jillian both try to make sure (almost every week) that the audience knows that this place is not the "real world" and to expect these kinds of results is not only unrealistic, but dangerous (mentally and physically).

My wife commented that while they show all those processed foods (Quaker oatmeal, Cheerios ...etc),
    and they are probably ok for you and me who hasn't the time to make food for every meal, every day,
    In order to do what they do, Bob and Jillian probably have them on the leanest, most natural and healthiest diet ever. She (wife) thought all the carbs they got came from whole grains like steel oats and fruits and veggies; all the protein from beans, fish, nuts, and chicken; and all the fats from legumes, fruits, beans, and natural oils. I would probably agree with here on that one.

One last thing, I feel that as this show has progressed from season 1 to now, I think they have shown the mental aspect more and more (especially with Jillian). I believe that the reason why a lot of the people on here gain weight back is two fold, 1 they are trying to lose the MAXIMUM amount of weight so they can try and win the show so they basically are pushing way beyond what their body thinks is a comfortable weight. And two, some of the people on here are doing it for the money or the fame, lets be realistic folks, many of these people had horrible lifestyles before they came on the show. So if even 10% change their whole life because of it, I consider it a success.
    I.E. "You can lead a horse to water..."
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Glad Carla went home, it will give a chance to the ppl who really want to be there.

I did take offense to Jillians comments on losing inches if the scale doesnt move. I have not lost a pound in 2 weeks but have gone down a full size. I KNOW my body shape is changing, I can feel it and see it. (they were the same brand of jeans I bought 1 month ago)

I know 2 woman who both weigh 130 and are approx 5'3" tall. One is size 8, the other is size 4. Why? Because the one girl works out every morning for an hour and the other does not.

So who else fell below the yellow line? I fell asleep at the weigh in!!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    For one, my jaw dropped when Jilian said that the yellow chick was basically full of it and that trainers say that to lie to people. I have been working my butt off since I started and for the past 2 weeks, no weight loss. Does that mean I'm not working? NO WAY!

Also, I kinda thought it was a cheerios commercial for a sec!

As for Joelle, FINALLY! Carla looked great on her new picture tho.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    to bad they couldn't have kept carla and dan as a "wana be there team". both their team memebers pushed them under the bridge. not fair at all. i knew dans partner didn't want to come back, after seeing what he ate when he got home.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Trident? Don't they have enough Extra Sugar Free Gum plugs for you?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Glad Carla went home, it will give a chance to the ppl who really want to be there.

I did take offense to Jillians comments on losing inches if the scale doesnt move. I have not lost a pound in 2 weeks but have gone down a full size. I KNOW my body shape is changing, I can feel it and see it. (they were the same brand of jeans I bought 1 month ago)

I know 2 woman who both weigh 130 and are approx 5'3" tall. One is size 8, the other is size 4. Why? Because the one girl works out every morning for an hour and the other does not.

So who else fell below the yellow line? I fell asleep at the weigh in!!

I have the same thing with a friend, same height, weight and I work out more than she does (and I weight train more) and she's the size 4 and I"m the eight. Genetics has WAY more to do with our body shape and how/where we lose weight than we give it credit for.