Indelicate subject

Options
MrsEewishi
MrsEewishi Posts: 6 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been eating raw fruit and veg only till 4pm then eating a healthy meal afterwards, which differs very much from my 'eating like a 10-year-old with a credit card' diet of previously. I'm not doing the YouTube RawTill4 challenge because IMHO it's mad* but am finding eating raw till 4pm is increasing my fruit and veg intake a lot and I'm losing weight at a good pace.
*At least 1,000 calories from fruit and veg for breakfast and again at lunch? - that would cause PAIN! so no, definitely not doing that

Indelicate problem - Things have got a bit more 'loose' than is ideal. Maybe this was inevitable after years of eating so badly I was always constipated. But how long will it last? Should I wait it out or cut back a bit on the fruit and veg?

Your better knowledge and advice is welcomed and will be appreciated xx

Mrs Eewishi
(never been more glad that I chose to come on here under a pseudonym)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    People who increase their fiber intake by a lot in a short period of time (which it sounds like you may have done) sometimes have symptoms like that (other people may experience stomach pain, bloating, constipation, or gas).

Many people who have this happen to them find it gets better when they reduce their fiber intake and then gradually ramp it up to the level they want to be at.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Can you up your protein intake? It usually has the opposite effect!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Your body will adjust with some time. If you're doing /feeling good, just let it happen. In fact, it's better than being constipated
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    When my fiber went up passed 40 grams a day I had serious problems.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think I would take a fiber pill for more fiber. Loose means the stool is moving rapidly thru the system. Or at least give it a week or two, If soiling is an issue, or fear of not making to the potty (this is explicit) but put a cotton ball between you butt cheeks. My anal surgeon gave me that tip
  • loisburch59
    loisburch59 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The bending of the rules a bit to get your body happy with what is happening is not a bad thing. Try steaming some of the raw vegies a bit. They are not cooked to a mush, just steamed to break down a bit of their fiber. Do not do this to the fruits as they do not take to steam very well, unless you want mush. It's the undigestable fibers that are the problems here. IMHO
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My husband suffers from IBS with diarrhea. His doctor has him taking Metamucil 3 x per day. Fiber is supposed to regulate, which means it'll speed things up if constipated, slow things down if loose. OP may just have to wait it out. Things should regulate after a while.
  • MrsEewishi
    Options
    I'm not used to these things (online forumspeak) but I guess OP is me, right? :) I am wowed by all this response and thoughtful reply. Thank you! I think there are a lot of good points here to take on board.
    1. Amount of fibre = it was (according to MFP) only 25 yesterday but that's still a lot more than my body is used to
    2. Increasing protein = The bulk of my diet is vegan/vegetarian for various reasons (including but not limited to cluelessness around how to cook meat safely). MFP thinks I need a lot more protein than I would prefer to eat and I've not yet heard of anyone being protein-deficient so long as they have enough food... but if it helps.. :)
    3. Cooking some more of the veg, even lightly - good call! I've got potatoes and carrots on and they're going to have beans, cashew cheese, tomato and onion added later.
    4. Fibre pills - I have some Fibogel, which is an orangey thing presumably does the same as a fibre pill. I think I recall from ages ago when I was eating really badly someone (probably a pharmacist) saying fibre did exactly what Ladylilion and conniehgtv mentioned it does
    5. Mainly going to keep going and see how it goes. Give my body some time to get used to it. If I'm still pooping for England by this time next week, I will take remedial measures. So big thanks for reassurance icemom11! Yes, it's a lot nicer of an experience than being constipated and if I had to choose between the 2 then yes, I'd stick with this (to a point)

xxxxxx
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MrsEewishi wrote: »
    I'm not used to these things (online forumspeak) but I guess OP is me, right? :) I am wowed by all this response and thoughtful reply. Thank you! I think there are a lot of good points here to take on board.
    1. Amount of fibre = it was (according to MFP) only 25 yesterday but that's still a lot more than my body is used to
    2. Increasing protein = The bulk of my diet is vegan/vegetarian for various reasons (including but not limited to cluelessness around how to cook meat safely). MFP thinks I need a lot more protein than I would prefer to eat and I've not yet heard of anyone being protein-deficient so long as they have enough food... but if it helps.. :)
    3. Cooking some more of the veg, even lightly - good call! I've got potatoes and carrots on and they're going to have beans, cashew cheese, tomato and onion added later.
    4. Fibre pills - I have some Fibogel, which is an orangey thing presumably does the same as a fibre pill. I think I recall from ages ago when I was eating really badly someone (probably a pharmacist) saying fibre did exactly what Ladylilion and conniehgtv mentioned it does
    5. Mainly going to keep going and see how it goes. Give my body some time to get used to it. If I'm still pooping for England by this time next week, I will take remedial measures. So big thanks for reassurance icemom11! Yes, it's a lot nicer of an experience than being constipated and if I had to choose between the 2 then yes, I'd stick with this (to a point)

xxxxxx

Overall protein deficiency is rare in the West, but you can certainly eat less than you need to feel great and support your muscle mass overall. How much you need for that I wouldn't know without knowing your stats and lifestyle, but it's something for you to consider. Often when people cite lack of energy, not feeling well, or loss of fitness while vegan or mostly plant-based, it can be tracked back to insufficient protein (at least in the cases that I've seen).

Something else to consider is that you can meet your overall protein needs but still be deficient in one of the nine essential amino acids. This isn't really a concern for those who eat animal products (they're all bundled in there), but for people who are vegan or eat a diet that is heavily plant-based, it can be a concern. Not to say it can't be done (it can), but it generally requires eating more than just vegetables. You'll want to make sure you're eating a variety of plant foods, including beans and nuts/seeds. I know you mention eating beans above, but just wanted to make sure that you were aware.

Good luck!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I've not yet heard of anyone being protein-deficient

If you recall seeing on TV those skinny African children with huge stomachs - that's Kwashiorkor - protein deficiency. Protein and fat are vital for your existance. Don't underestimate them. Also if you are eating for whatever reasons mostly vegan diet, you need to take vitamin B12 as a suplement.

Good luck.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Besides the fiber,some people just get loose from extra fructose in the diet, which is bountiful in fruit. Personally, I can't eat a lot of grapes, plums, etc because this happens to me. I have always had a lot of fiber in my diet and fiber itself doesn't make things loose, but a lot of fruit does.
  • MrsEewishi
    Options

xxxxxx

Overall protein deficiency is rare in the West, but you can certainly eat less than you need to feel great and support your muscle mass overall. How much you need for that I wouldn't know without knowing your stats and lifestyle, but it's something for you to consider. Often when people cite lack of energy, not feeling well, or loss of fitness while vegan or mostly plant-based, it can be tracked back to insufficient protein (at least in the cases that I've seen).

Something else to consider is that you can meet your overall protein needs but still be deficient in one of the nine essential amino acids. This isn't really a concern for those who eat animal products (they're all bundled in there), but for people who are vegan or eat a diet that is heavily plant-based, it can be a concern. Not to say it can't be done (it can), but it generally requires eating more than just vegetables. You'll want to make sure you're eating a variety of plant foods, including beans and nuts/seeds. I know you mention eating beans above, but just wanted to make sure that you were aware.

Good luck!

I take B12 and vitamin D xx
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ha, been there done that! Earlier this year I really upped my veg/fruit intake-up to a whopping 800 or more grams a day, from the previous 200g-300g a day that I was eating. And I added 2 servings of beans a day too. I thought I was going to die :p It got so bad it actually caused a flare up of hemorrhoids, (how's that for tmi lol), just from the 3-4 times a day that things were passing through. However, after a few weeks my body adjusted to the new way of eating and things settled down on their own, whew!

eta: I now average over 50g of fiber a day, crazy lol.
  • MrsEewishi
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what eating raw food until 4pm is supposed to accomplish, but if it is causing you pain and discomfort as you say, please consider a better challenge. There are many here to choose from.
    Ah. I just found that challenge video. Created by Freelee the banana girl. She advocates the raw food diet.

No pain or discomfort, just loose pooping. Meant to get me into the habit of eating more fruit and veg.
    Re Freelee the banana girl, like I said right at the start, I don't think her diet is a good idea because it takes it to an extreme so no, I'm not doing the RawTill4 challenge because it's kerazy :)
  • MrsEewishi
    Options
    @Noel_57 No worries! Yes, there are so many videos on YouTube from people who've tried the RawTill4 challenge and say (with photo evidence) that they gained weight, that they felt bloated and nauseous and that it was really expensive to do. There was even one person who posted 'How to lose weight and recover from the RawTill4 diet'! For me the raw food in the morning and at lunchtime is a temporary thing to get me getting the fruit and veg happening.
    Good to know there are other challenges I could do. I'll go have a look at them. Any you recommend or that you've liked yourself? x
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what eating raw food until 4pm is supposed to accomplish, but if it is causing you pain and discomfort as you say, please consider a better challenge. There are many here to choose from.
    Ah. I just found that challenge video. Created by Freelee the banana girl. She advocates the raw food diet.

That girl is nutso.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Your body should adjust over time.