Calorie Cycling: We Aren't Calorie Robots

Options
I'm finding that some days I need a lot of calories, and other days I need very few. I'm trying to pay attention to this phenomenon, because I think not paying attention is what made me gain weight in the first place.

I don't think we can eat the exact amount of calories every day. Some days we're hauling heavy buckets of water from our toilets. O.o Some days we're vegging out. We get different levels of sleep each day--different levels of stresses, etc. So, anyone find that sometimes going way over is perfectly fine--but that it's not as hard to underdo it the next day or so? Like, if you just pay attention to how hungry you are, you might not need very many calories the next day (or maybe not until the day after)?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    That's why I go by a weekly goal even at maintenance. Some days I'm not that hungry and might eat 1700, other days 2300. It all evens out over the week.
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I agree but I find the days I'm vegging out to be the ones I have the most and the days I'm super busy and active to have fewer LOL
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to see my weekly calories on MFP? Is that a premium feature? I thought we used to be able to see our weekly intake
  • conboyde
    conboyde Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I definitely have different hunger on some days other than some others. On the days I am working hard at the gym, I am much hungrier than the days I am sitting around vegging. I think activity, or lack of, makes a difference in your hunger. I try to stay with 1200 per day (for weight loss) regardless, but on my hungry days go towards the higher end of the 1200.
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Is there a way to see my weekly calories on MFP? Is that a premium feature? I thought we used to be able to see our weekly intake

On the nutrition tab, you can change from the day to a weekly view. Premium feature is setting varied calorie goals by day of the week but you can still view your weekly summary and count.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I watch my weekly goal, not daily.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    conboyde wrote: »
    I definitely have different hunger on some days other than some others. On the days I am working hard at the gym, I am much hungrier than the days I am sitting around vegging. I think activity, or lack of, makes a difference in your hunger. I try to stay with 1200 per day (for weight loss) regardless, but on my hungry days go towards the higher end of the 1200.

If you stay at 1200, what's the higher end? Or do you mean net?
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Overeating by a lot of calories - I'm talking 600+ calories here - tends to make me overeat the following days. It's like I want to fall back into old habits.

Some days I do eat 200 - 300 calories more and yes, that usually balances out, but eating way more some days doesn't work for me.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Only on the app.

Click in to your days food. Scroll to the bottom, click nutrition. Click net, change the drop down from daily to weekly. Scroll down past the graph and it tells you there.

I always go by weekly calories, whether I am maintaining or cutting.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I agree but I find the days I'm vegging out to be the ones I have the most and the days I'm super busy and active to have fewer LOL

Same here, work days I can not eat until 6pm, non work days I start eating by lunch time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't really think it's a "phenomenon". It just seems normal and logical to me. The more you move, the more you need to eat. That's why it's recommended to eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

Same here!
    If I'm busy all day and in the gym in the evenings I don't think about food much.
    If I'm sitting at home I constantly want to get up and find a snack!
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with the Calories In < Calories Out model for weight loss. Yes, it does work if done accurately but it's so hard to accurately measure calories out. I can easily measure calories in, but I can't accurately measure calories out nearly as exact as calories in. I can estimate, but when you only have a 250 calorie deficit (I'm petite with not a lot to lose), there's not a lot of room for error.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You have to learn how your own body works for sure. The MFP targets are based on accepted formulas that work for MOST of the population. Your body is the only truly 100% accurate tracker for YOU, which is why it's usually recommended that people a) follow MFP defaults for a few weeks, then adjust manually if they aren't seeing the expected results, and 2) eat back around half of their exercise calories. MFP does add more calories in for those more active days if you are tracking activity. Since the estimated calorie burns could be 20-30% off, eating only half back balances out the potential overestimation.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2015-12-23/do-exercise-machines-lie-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-feedback-you-get

• devrinator
    devrinator Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    I've always struggled with the Calories In < Calories Out model for weight loss. Yes, it does work if done accurately but it's so hard to accurately measure calories out. I can easily measure calories in, but I can't accurately measure calories out nearly as exact as calories in. I can estimate, but when you only have a 250 calorie deficit (I'm petite with not a lot to lose), there's not a lot of room for error.

This! I find that it's not easy to get an accurate idea of how many calories we need! If you go online, the calculators vary, but more importantly, our activity levels vary considerably.

I think it's why some of us gain weight easily with subtle changes in routine AND why some of us women gain extra weight during pregnancy. I did. I realized that I was super lethargic--to the point of not moving much at all while awake. I think I was burning a good 500 to 600 calories less a day in general despite having a 150 to 200 calorie change in need for energy. So like, I increased what I ate by a small margin (extra cup of yogurt and extra milk or fruit), and was over eating by 200 to 300 calories a day. O.o

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have a weekly goal and calorie cycle but I rarely eat less than 1350 cals in a day, I also work out but don't always eat my cals back on the same day if I'm not hungry for them and save them for later in the week (usually the weekend when I'm more likely to be sedentary or go out for a meal and drinks and be well over maintenance). I try to aim for a weekly deficit of 2000 calories. It works for me and makes me feel like I don't have to turn down social invitations or be the person to order a salad in a burger joint when out with my mates. ;P