What do you eat when you feel like you're getting sick ?

Options
I feel some kind of a flu coming on as I slept about 15hrs, and now I have absolutely no appetite and feel a bit dizzy with some lethargy.

My question is, what are your go to foods when you feel a sickness coming on? Anything Yeah there than vitamin c known to be good to stop sickness on its track? OR maybe just comforting foods when you're feeling a bit ill? I already had some tea and some probiotics ( which I take anyway) and I'm going to eat a bunch of veggies and some soup but any other ideas?

(Side note: I am vegan but you can still post whatever works for you just out of curiosity and for other people in the thread but bets recommendations for me would be plant based ones! Thanks! also. My diary is open. I haven't actually eaten yet today but those are the foods I preplanned in so far to eat in a little bit when I'm feeling a bit better)

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For me, its Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. Its one of those comfort things from my childhood. But its also easy on the stomach. My husband turns to cream of chicken soup.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Elderberry syrup. It's amazing. I mix 2 tbs with some hot tea twice a day and it really helps.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I drink Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. I haven't had a flu in a long time, though. I might not be able to stomach the vinegar if I were nauseous. The vinegar has knocked out every cold I have had in the past couple years.

Soup is also my cure-all. I make chicken soup with lots of cilantro, chicken, and potatoes, but you could do veggie broth. Also Thai soup with lemongrass.

Hope you feel better.

There is no end to the power of ACV!
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Saltines and ginger ale. Ginger has been scientifically proven to help with nausea. although ginger ale might not have a big enough dose to really matter. Crystalized ginger or ginger tea would probably be more effective, but the saltines & ginger ale was our go-to sickness food when I was a kid.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4818021/

Chicken soup has also been scientifically proven to help with colds, but since you are vegan, that option is out.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/10/001018075252.htm

Rest, drink lots of fluids, and hope you recover quickly. Vitamin D and C are both used to support the immune system, but I don't think they are situationally helpful; I think they are only helpful long term.

Oh - and cinnamon has some positive effects as well. Again, I'm not sure consumption is a quick fix.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4182734/

ETA: These all help to either mitigate symptoms or strengthen your ability to fight something off - once you've caught the bug, cwolfman13 is correct, it will have to run it's course.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Once you have a virus like the flu, no amount of vitamin c or any other food is going to stop the illness...a virus has to run it's course.

When I'm sick I eat whatever I can manage...
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Elderberry syrup. It's amazing. I mix 2 tbs with some hot tea twice a day and it really helps.
    Elderberry syrup? Never heard of that. I'll look it up! sounds cool. Thanks
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    Saltines and ginger ale. Ginger has been scientifically proven to help with nausea. although ginger ale might not have a big enough dose to really matter. Crystalized ginger or ginger tea would probably be more effective, but the saltines & ginger ale was our go-to sickness food when I was a kid.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4818021/

Chicken soup has also been scientifically proven to help with colds, but since you are vegan, that option is out.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/10/001018075252.htm

Rest, drink lots of fluids, and hope you recover quickly. Vitamin D and C are both used to support the immune system, but I don't think they are situationally helpful; I think they are only helpful long term.

Oh - and cinnamon has some positive effects as well. Again, I'm not sure consumption is a quick fix.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4182734/

ETA: These all help to either mitigate symptoms or strengthen your ability to fight something off - once you've caught the bug, cwolfman13 is correct, it will have to run it's course.
    Thanks this is all super helpful! I did have some ginger kombucha because fizzy ginger drinks are usually soothing for my tummy. I will include these foods (except the chicken of course,) and hope it helps with the duration or severity! Appreciated

Thankfully I do eat a really nutrient dense diet so I tend to recover really quickly. But always looking for more information. Nutrition fascinates me!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If you really think you may have the flu, you should go to the doctor. Tamiflu can decrease the severity and duration.
    As far as food goes- eat as much or as little as you want, but make sure you stay well hydrated.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    If you really think you may have the flu, you should go to the doctor. Tamiflu can decrease the severity and duration.
    As far as food goes- eat as much or as little as you want, but make sure you stay well hydrated.
    I'm starting to feel better so hopefully my body is fighting it off on its own pretty quickly. I rarely get sick for more then two days :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I always know I'm getting sick when I start craving ginger. It's weird. I will drink ginger and veggie smoothies every day. Then at the end of a bug I crave avocado. My husband teases about my weird food cravings for specific things.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Soup, but especially pho because it's so good with Sriacha in it- the spicyness helps with my sinuses. If I have a cough/sore throat kind of a cold, I have a hot toddy before bed. I've found it's basically a more natural and yummier version of nighttime Theraflu, lol! Here is the recipe a British friend of mine gave me, which I've used ever since.

* Cup of hot tea (I use whatever I happen to have but usually something plain like black tea, not fruity or minty)
    * Shot of whiskey (I think Jameson tastes the best with tea)
    * 1 tbsp honey
    * 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    * Sprinkle of nutmeg and cloves

The hot liquids are soothing to the throat, the honey helps a cough, the spices help with sinuses, and the whiskey helps you get to sleep! Hope you feel better soon!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Eat what you can, but way more important to get loads of sleeps and drink as much as you can. Hot tea, water, Gatorade. Try Zyrtec for the snot. Talk short walks if you can for the fresh air and sunshine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    airborne and/or osscilliococcium (homeopathic pellets)
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Eat bland foods and stay hydrated. I also go for ice cream once my appetite comes back.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I second the elderberry syrup. Sambucus I think it's called? And ginger ale or something sugary, it's quick fuel for the body.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    If I feel something coming on I take Source Naturals, Wellness Formula, Herbal Defense Complex, 120 Capsules and extra vitamin C powder. I've had good results with this.

On the rare occasions I do get sick, spicy Asian soup for my sinuses. Lots of ginger tea.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to feel better so hopefully my body is fighting it off on its own pretty quickly. I rarely get sick for more then two days :)

My body always fights off the flu quickly, if I even get it at all.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i eat a watermelon. not for scientific reasons, but because if i'm sick i'm a victim and i can do anything that i want.

and/or 'real' garlic bread, i.e. a french loaf split and toasted, then rubbed with a fresh clove of it. i'll use either olive oil or butter on it once that's done, i'm not fussy about that part of it. the garlic is fierce enough to burn my throat. i guess i do align with the folklore that allicin can knock half of a cold on the head if it's taken early.

my dad used to swear by 'eat a raw onion, wash it down with a whole pot of tea, go to bed.'
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Not much at all.When I get sick it almost always hits my stomach. I may be starving the whole tome, but massive stomach cramps on top of general ickyness is no fun.