Walden Farms? Miracle Noodles?

Options

Replies

• MsTiffany_
    MsTiffany_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It has this weird rubbery..watery consistency. Never again! I will just buy whole grain pasta.
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I tried Shirataki Noodles.When you open the package, the liquid inside smells to me like fresh shrimps. Not off-putting to me, but a bit strange in combination with noodles. After leaving noodles in colander for about a minute under running water, the shrimpy smell goes away, but pasta still smells a little, but very faint. I took care of that problem by smearing a bit of chili sauce on the noodles. I would not use these as substitute for pasta. If you like crystal noodles though or rice noodles, this is definitely would work for recipes where you would use any of these. For example, I can see using Shirataki in stir-fry, soup, I added them cold to my salmon salad, and it was good. They have chewy texture. These noodles are basically a filler. They go through your digestive tract and create volume, so you feel full faster, and you have more to pass through (hint hint for those who are not regular). I heard some people saying that noodles sit in their intestines forever, so you get artificial weight gain. I did not notice this effect, but even if so - that wouldn't bother me. Bottom line, I reordered more after I tried for the first time.
  • GingerbreadArtist
    GingerbreadArtist Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've thought about the noodles, but all I hear about the texture of them has turned me off. I am very much a texture person and if it's the least bit slimy, spongy, or fishy, I'm not going to eat it. I figured I saved money by not buying them. Instead, I use spaghetti squash or broccoli-slaw as my pasta replacement... both are real food.

I tried several of the Walden products.... and didn't end up liking any of them (the salad dressings). Tossed them all. I wanted to like them, but just had an odd taste to me. I prefer just a squeeze of lemon on my salad... or just go for it and have a good ol glob of Litehouse Thousand Island dressing and make up for it with the other meals.
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    Eating miracle noodles right now with some vegetable soup...yum. I order them on amazon subscribe and save.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I drain and rinse the noodles, then toss them around a dry wok for a couple of minutes on medium-high heat until they dry out a bit. They're great for stir-fries like that. I didn't really care for them as a pasta substitute in the Italian sense, though.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I use the tofu shiritaki noodles. You have to rinse them really well with cold water (and don't sniff the water they come in! lol). Then I dry pan fry them for about 10 minutes, then add in my other stuff (veggies, chicken, black bean sauce). I also use (and I can't remember the name of them!) a yam "noodle"; I got them in the Asian section at Walmart actually. Similar to the shiritaki but they are made of yams. About 100 calories for the package. They also come in smelly water; I cook them similarly.

I prefer to eat these noodles more as I would a rice noodle; they aren't very similar to pasta IMO. But as a rice noodle in an Asian dish, they work quite well.

The yam noodles were on a shelf but the shiritaki are refridgerated. In Canada I get the shiritaki at Sobey's or Loblaws/Superstore.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As others have noted, the Miracle Noodles are good, in the right setting. They will not replace your pasta. But, they work great in stir frys and such, and they have to be prepped right. I haven't found a Walden Farms product that I like yet. Worst mistake ever, Miracle Noodles with Walden Farms Alfredo Sauce. Zero calorie meal, that made me gag.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried either because I just can't get over 0 calories in food, but for anyone who is looking for a noodle replacement for fewer calories/gluten free, try spaghetti squash! It's low cal, 0 fat, and perfect for fall. I'll make a big bowl of spaghetti squash and top with marinara - not too bad!
  • msgenevieve
    msgenevieve Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Miracle Noodles and Miracle Rice is amazing.
    The rice is way better than the noodles.
    I eat Miracle Fried Rice almost daily.
    Today I also had Miracle Noodles with a little Waldens Farm Garlic and Herb sauce and basil Paste.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I use Walden Farms pancake syrup on Kodiak Cakes and it's great...just sweet enough and keeps the pancakes from tasting dry. I use the blueberry and strawberry syrup on greek yogurt (and sometimes pancakes)...really cuts through the bitterness. I use the caramel topping on ice cream/halo top.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I haven't enjoyed Walden Farm products or the miracle noodles that much. That said, if you do like them and they save you calories, I say go for it!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    No one is noticing that this is a 6 year old thread?
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms pancake syrup is ace. I just have to not think about what it might be made of! :#

The barbecue sauce is also not too bad, but whatever you do, don't try and cook with it. It went HORRENDOUS! Definitely made of nasty chemical nonsense...

I now have a couple of syrups from MyProtein to go on ice cream sometimes, or pep up plain greek yogurt. I prefer them.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I order the shirataki noodles from Amazon in three "shapes". Texture doesn't bother me so I like them! But I can see how they can be off-putting; like someone else mentioned, I would not make a shirataki dish for like a potluck or dinner party or anything. They're great for when I'm trying to cut calories and my meal needs more substance, because that's really all they provide (doesn't really taste like anything). In fact, yesterday I had some leftover lengua and Brussels sprouts from a ramen restaurant and luckily remembered I have a couple of pouches hanging out in my pantry and was able to come up with a nice little noodle dish using them :)

They retain a lot of water so I always dry-fry them for several minutes after boiling. Makes a scary noise....
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use shirataki noodles as a Western/Italian pasta replacement but I like them in asian soups, stir fries and salads.
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This may be an old thread but I do have questions about these noodles! Has anyone tried them with ramen soup packets? I used to eat instant ramen at least once a week and I cut it out because... well, they're not very nutritious. But I miss them!
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think they work well in asian soups like ramen packet style. Look on YouTube for how to make miso broth - it's so easy and better than packets.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Love the honey dijon dressing and coffee creamers everything else is gross.

Miracle noodles are just disgusting to me lol. Hate the smell and texture and for comparable calories would rather have veggie noodles (like zucchini)
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think they work well in asian soups like ramen packet style. Look on YouTube for how to make miso broth - it's so easy and better than packets.

This is a great recipe for using miracle/shiritake noodles, she calls it "Thai Oh My Coconut Chicken Soup":

I'm not a big fan of those noodles, but this soup is amazing.
  • Mbrown343
    Mbrown343 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use a Kraft 15 calorie per 2 tablespoons fat free Italian dressing. It's delicious, I put onion, garlic, Roma Tomas and cut up cakes and add some dressing and it's delicious quick vegetable.