What are your favourite podcasts for weight loss, healthy lifestyle or plain old entertainment?

Options
2»

Replies

• displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Happier podcast is about creating habits and making life easier in general. It's not exercise/diet focused per se, but many subjects and recommendations can be used for weight loss. I was listening to podcast 2, and she was discussing people who have to abstain from an activity vs those who moderate their activities and how we're all different. I used to feel I could eat something in moderation, but it's actually easier to just abstain from having it. I have more difficulty stopping after a portion or two and prefer to just not have it at all. They were not talking about dieting but I'm applying it to that. She discusses lots of topics.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Not really a podcast, but I love to run while listening to Zombies, Run! The story lines are really fun and intense. Also, like many others, I love Welcome to Nightvale.
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Orbiting Human Circus is my favorite podcast (and possibly my favorite thing, period.) I saw the live show and it was so, so good. Possibly life changing good.

Aside from the ones mentioned,

For stand alone dramas
    Bbc drama of the week
    The Truth
    Getting on with James Urbaniak

Continual series (I tend to love horror, btw)
    Spines
    Archive 81
    Darkest Night
    Mabel
    Homecoming
    The Bright Sessions

Stand alone stories:
    The Moth
    The New Yorker Fiction Podcast
    Strangers
    Short Cuts
    This American Life
    Knifpoint Horror

For people telling me stuff:
    The Singing Bones
    Myths and Legends
    Invisabilia
    Hidden Brain
    Radiolab

Also love the Classic Tales Podcast, which is really just audiobooks.

ETA: Beware of the Minnow Beats Whale ones. They are really captivating at first, but lead pretty much nowhere. If you are tempted, I would say the first two seasons of Tanis close nicely, but then they just kept making seasons...
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Entertainment:. We're Alive

Science:. This week in virology, this week in microbiology, and this week in parasitism (my favorite; has a case study).
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Serial
    The Infinite Monkey Cage
    True Crime Brewery
    Death, Sex and Money
  • NRTL
    NRTL Posts: 16 Member
    Options

ETA: Beware of the Minnow Beats Whale ones. They are really captivating at first, but lead pretty much nowhere. If you are tempted, I would say the first two seasons of Tanis close nicely, but then they just kept making seasons...

I admit I also gave up Tanis and Black Books after the first two seasons, but I did really enjoyed those first two... Shame they didn't wrap them up before they started rambling...
  • NRTL
    NRTL Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    displaced1 wrote: »
    Happier podcast is about creating habits and making life easier in general. It's not exercise/diet focused per se, but many subjects and recommendations can be used for weight loss. I was listening to podcast 2, and she was discussing people who have to abstain from an activity vs those who moderate their activities and how we're all different. I used to feel I could eat something in moderation, but it's actually easier to just abstain from having it. I have more difficulty stopping after a portion or two and prefer to just not have it at all. They were not talking about dieting but I'm applying it to that. She discusses lots of topics.

I'm so an abstainer! Love GR...
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    NRTL wrote: »
    Non-health related - I love the Morbid Curiosity podcasts. Really informative and factual podcasts about a variety of topics about which people have morbid curiosity. Everything from the Bermuda Triangle to head shrinking, medieval torture to Lizzy Borden, urban legends and ghost and ghoul stories and the facts behind them. It's very cool.

Sounds great! A bit like Lore, if you know that one? My podcast list is looking pretty epic :)

This sounds amazing! I'll definitely check it out!
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Grown Ups Read Things They Wrote as Kids - they are each about a half hour, and I die laughing through every one. It's not artsy like some of these :) But if you want a really good laugh, I recommend it. I also like Stuff You Should Know, the topics are always random and the hosts are engaging and down to earth.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My Favorite Murder
    Song Exploder
    Jarnsaxa Rising
    99% Invisible
    Strangers
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Seconded for My Favorite Murder!
  • HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Joe Rogan always has awesome guests on
  • FernRunner
    FernRunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like Optimal Living Daily and the other OLD podcasts (finance, health, relationships, etc).
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    NRTL wrote: »
    Hey all, I love a good podcast and am wondering what recommendations the MFP community have. My favourites (non-health and fitness related) are Criminal; Baggage Reclaim Sessions and The Untold, but I don't yet know of any good health/weight-loss/fitness related ones. What are your favourites, of any genre?

I'm a big true crime fan...Casefile, Sword & Scale, and Missing Maura Murray are a few of my favorites. I listen to them during my workouts and on my commute, some of them are pretty dark but very entertaining.
  • FatMrsRogers
    FatMrsRogers Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I'm a big true crime fan...Casefile, Sword & Scale, and Missing Maura Murray are a few of my favorites. I listen to them during my workouts and on my commute, some of them are pretty dark but very entertaining. [/quote]

Definitely Sword and Scale! Some really stick with you for days afterwards but it is very interesting.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    LeVar Burton Reads seems pretty good so far.