Any KETO's out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• Pip_squeak83
    Pip_squeak83 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    New to Keto and I am a Paleo/Primal convert. I have no problem getting the protein, my biggest problem is getting the right kind of fats! How are y'all having problems getting protein?
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Join this keto group. I am on keto and love it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Where can I find a good example of the Keto diet? There's so many sources out there.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, from what I've read and studied, it is Not a weight loss diet. It was a diet designed to fight cancer, very successful in its goal. It's a high fat low carb moderate protein diet and the idea behind it is to starve cancer cells of their "favorite" nutrients, Carbs. They also need proteins. My opinion is this is a great diet for active people who want to cleanse for a period of time but I don't think it is a sustainable diet for weight loss. Just my opinion. I'm no expert.

it does not fight cancer there is no scientific proof.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    pamache1 wrote: »
    Can't seem to get to Ketosis after 30 days..
    Smh..

then you are eating too many carbs and not enough fat
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Hey guys, how long you've been on this plan? Is it effective for weight loss?

not unless you are in a deficit. keto is not a magical way to lose weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I just began keto recently. Not a lot of insights just yet, obviously. I'm a Type 2 Diabetic, so I was already eating pretty low carb (90 - 125g/day). So the carb at adjustment hasn't been a big deal for me (although 30g is quite a reduction!). My issues so far seem to be: 1) it's a lot more protein than I'm used to. Have trouble hitting the numbers. And 2) I have trouble getting a decent amount of fiber. But again, it's very early in the game. Interested in learning how others manage this.

you should be doing high fat and moderate protein. so make your fat 60% or more,5-10% carbs and the rest protein
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    For those who it doesn't seem to work for, are you making sure to meet all of your macros daily? You should make sure your carbs are 5%, your protein is around 25%, and fat around 70% of your caloric intake. It can be hard, I struggle with eating enough since the increased fat fills me up so quickly and for longer periods, but it is super important you eat enough.

Also, it can be a weight loss diet. I personally have some close friends not to mention countless success stories on Reddit (/r/keto) or YouTube that have dropped massive amounts of body fat. It is also a great diet for reversing pre-diabetes or full blown type two since your blood sugar doesn't spike which gives your pancreas a break.

Pre-diabetes is why I chose to start this diet. I've only been on it about a week, but noticed the first benefit I'm experiencing is my adult acne is almost completely gone. I also don't have mood swings like before, which is really nice. I'm experiencing symptoms of the "keto flu " like fatigue and occasional nausea (I have to focus on the fact that this too shall pass). Other than that I'm doing well. Oh, I also dropped about 5lbs water weight already and no longer have daily swollen ankles.

fat should be 60-75%,carbs for most 5-10%)some can eat more) and the rest protein.now if someone wants to eat 70% or more fat thats fine. everyone will be difference so more fat will be satiating for some while others less than the 70 will be enough. also keto can be 50g net or less of carbs,but most people do 25 or less.

as for reversing diabetes keto can help, but so can losing weight and not eating keto.protein will spike blood sugar though too which is normal so saying it doesnt spike is not correct, if you have keto flu you need to up sodium to 3500-5000 mg a day and make sure you are getting enough potassium and magnesium too.
  • manic_all_the_time
    manic_all_the_time Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the keto woe for almost a month now. I started it not for weight loss but to see if it would help me with my bipolar disorder. It's not a cure, but it's definitely helping. I think I will see more improvements as I go along. I LOVE this. I eat a lot. I lost 6 lbs the first three weeks and finally moved my calories WAY up and am maintaining my weight. It's awesome. I would love some more keto friends. I went into ketosis on the first day just by fasting (and not even the whole day). Maybe it's because I work out and I am slim, idk but it was pretty easy for me to get into ketosis.
  • manic_all_the_time
    Options
    pamache1 wrote: »
    Can't seem to get to Ketosis after 30 days..
    Smh..

I went into ketosis pretty easily. I fasted first. I just waited till around 3 pm to eat the first day of doing keto and I was already in ketosis. Maybe you could fast and/or try to eat 0 carbs to get you into ketosis. I am wondering how many and what type of carbs you are eating. I am really new to this so I am no expert.
  • 260scott
    260scott Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Done Keto in the past and it worked wonders. 30lbs lost in one month. The hardest part was the first 96 hours. jumbo Diet Pepsi drinks at the movie theater 4 days in a row got me through that first hump. Best of luck!
  • manic_all_the_time
    Options
    rivky66 wrote: »
    For those who it doesn't seem to work for, are you making sure to meet all of your macros daily? You should make sure your carbs are 5%, your protein is around 25%, and fat around 70% of your caloric intake. It can be hard, I struggle with eating enough since the increased fat fills me up so quickly and for longer periods, but it is super important you eat enough.

Also, it can be a weight loss diet. I personally have some close friends not to mention countless success stories on Reddit (/r/keto) or YouTube that have dropped massive amounts of body fat. It is also a great diet for reversing pre-diabetes or full blown type two since your blood sugar doesn't spike which gives your pancreas a break.

Pre-diabetes is why I chose to start this diet. I've only been on it about a week, but noticed the first benefit I'm experiencing is my adult acne is almost completely gone. I also don't have mood swings like before, which is really nice. I'm experiencing symptoms of the "keto flu " like fatigue and occasional nausea (I have to focus on the fact that this too shall pass). Other than that I'm doing well. Oh, I also dropped about 5lbs water weight already and no longer have daily swollen ankles.

How do I eat all that protien? I set my macros this way and can't seem to meet it...

I'm surprised the protein is what you are struggling with. I struggle to eat enough fat. Eggs, sausage, ground beef, cheese, all have tons of protein. Eat higher fat meats and eggs. I think that will help.
  • GabrielleTheWolf
    GabrielleTheWolf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Started at the beginning of June and down 26lbs
  • manic_all_the_time
    edited July 2017
    Options
    freemc wrote: »
    Maintain a calorie deficit each day and it does not matter what your macros are, you will still lose weight. This is a biological certianly for humans. I find this is the easiest way for people new to the life to get into a rhythm and enjoy success.

People can naturally complicate matters extensively with fad diets, and there are plenty of them out there (Keto, Mediterranean, Paleo, Zone, Volumetric, etc. etc.) but the truth is none of these are needed to lose weight. The people that are successful with them are only successful because they are conducted in such a way that they allow for a calorie deficit. More important than some fad is that you select food that allows you to facilitate change on a permanent basis, and allows for a consistent calorie deficit so weight loss can occur. People are free to turn their life upside down with some diet trend if they like, but they would be needlessly punishing themselves. There is simply no need to make things more complicated than they have to be.

I have been on the diet since Apr. Yes u r correct, it has decrease calorie intake. However, the difference in the food works best for me. Losing breads potatoes etc was easlier that giving up my meat. So for me, this is a doable way of dieting. I am to the 3rd phase where i am increase my carb intake to find my magic number to maintain my wgt loss. Counting the macros helps me understand more about the food i am eating. So for me this is my diet of chpice.
    So it all comes down to personal preferences. However u r correct. They all rely on decrease caloric intake.

I am all for any nutritional plan that allows for a people to consistently stay in a calorie deficit, and if Keto is an easy way to some people to accomplish this, then all the better and more power to them.

However, people should also be aware of the truth, which is that their weight loss has zero to do with Keto and everything to do with their being in a deficit. There are actually people out there that believe their fad diet is the cause of their weight loss, which is simply false, and false information does not help anyone. Keto, or any other diet for that matter, is only successful insofar as it allows for adaquate caloric restriction.

I don't think it is just the deficit that is making the difference. I think it is because your body is forced to use fat for fuel and I think that makes more of a difference than people realize. I am slim. I did not start keto to lose weight. I lost 6 lbs over the first three weeks and any calorie calculator out there would tell me that I was eating way over on calories. I only work out around 40 minutes and I am eating 2200 calories now. I have had to increase my calories by around 600 a day since starting keto. I personally think the diet itself makes a difference and not just the deficit. Maybe I am wrong but that has been my experience.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Maintain a calorie deficit each day and it does not matter what your macros are, you will still lose weight. This is a biological certianly for humans. I find this is the easiest way for people new to the life to get into a rhythm and enjoy success.

People can naturally complicate matters extensively with fad diets, and there are plenty of them out there (Keto, Mediterranean, Paleo, Zone, Volumetric, etc. etc.) but the truth is none of these are needed to lose weight. The people that are successful with them are only successful because they are conducted in such a way that they allow for a calorie deficit. More important than some fad is that you select food that allows you to facilitate change on a permanent basis, and allows for a consistent calorie deficit so weight loss can occur. People are free to turn their life upside down with some diet trend if they like, but they would be needlessly punishing themselves. There is simply no need to make things more complicated than they have to be.

I have been on the diet since Apr. Yes u r correct, it has decrease calorie intake. However, the difference in the food works best for me. Losing breads potatoes etc was easlier that giving up my meat. So for me, this is a doable way of dieting. I am to the 3rd phase where i am increase my carb intake to find my magic number to maintain my wgt loss. Counting the macros helps me understand more about the food i am eating. So for me this is my diet of chpice.
    So it all comes down to personal preferences. However u r correct. They all rely on decrease caloric intake.

I am all for any nutritional plan that allows for a people to consistently stay in a calorie deficit, and if Keto is an easy way to some people to accomplish this, then all the better and more power to them.

However, people should also be aware of the truth, which is that their weight loss has zero to do with Keto and everything to do with their being in a deficit. There are actually people out there that believe their fad diet is the cause of their weight loss, which is simply false, and false information does not help anyone. Keto, or any other diet for that matter, is only successful insofar as it allows for adaquate caloric restriction.

I don't think it is just the deficit that is making the difference. I think it is because your body is forced to use fat for fuel and I think that makes more of a difference than people realize. I am slim. I did not start keto to lose weight. I lost 6 lbs over the first three weeks and any calorie calculator out there would tell me that I was eating way over on calories. I only work out around 40 minutes and I am eating 2200 calories now. I have had to increase my calories by around 600 a day since starting keto. I personally think the diet itself makes a difference and not just the deficit. Maybe I am wrong but that has been my experience.

yes,with any way of eating to lose you need to be in a deficit of calories. your body uses the fat you consume as energy not body fat. body fat is lost in a deficit and you can only lose so much at a time . if you arent using it to lose weight,if you are losing weight then you are in a deficit somewhere.unless you are eating at maintenance and doing heavy lifting/resistance training then in that case you would be losing fat.as for using it to treat bipolar disorders I have never heard of that one. I have heard some seizure disorders,pcos,type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

You are free to believe what you like, and whatever you are doing is working for you which I think is fantastic. However, the fact remains that the medical science and human biological processes regarding such matters are not at all cryptic or mysterious. Keto, or any diet plan for that matter, all owe their success or failure to if the individual practicing them can achieve a calorie deficit. Period. If you practice Keto and eat too many calories you will gain weight. If you practice Keto and are in a deficit you will lose weight. People who follow these fad diets never like to hear this, but it's true.

Most of the people that have been at Keto for awhile eventually admit this reality, but it's begrudgingly and normally with an added qualifier something along the lines of "well, that might be true, but Keto makes me more full so I eat less". They might be on to something there I guess.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

You are free to believe what you like, and whatever you are doing is working for you which I think is fantastic. However, the fact remains that the medical science and human biological processes regarding such matters are not at all cryptic or mysterious. Keto, or any diet plan for that matter, all owe their success or failure to if the individual practicing them can achieve a calorie deficit. Period. If you practice Keto and eat too many calories you will gain weight. If you practice Keto and are in a deficit you will lose weight. People who follow these fad diets never like to hear this, but it's true.

Most of the people that have been at Keto for awhile eventually admit this reality, but it's begrudgingly and normally with an added qualifier something along the lines of "well, that might be true, but Keto makes me more full so I eat less". They might be on to something there I guess.

keto can make a person feel less apt to binge on things when they cut the carbs down so low,for some people the high fat is what satiates them so yeah they may eat less, but eating less means they are in a deficit.
  • HeatherCSamps17
    HeatherCSamps17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just started Day 1 today and I am pretty excited. My body so needs this! Tonight I am suffering from a bit of a headache, but that is to be expected after all of the high carb food that I had over indulged in over the 4th of July Holidays. I have also decided to start a blog for the very first time in order to keep me accountable and to hopefully find some much needed support and inspiration from my fellow keto'ers. For added accountability, I am also utlizing the Fitbit and Map My Walk Apps as well to keep me on the straight and narrow path to ketosis. So if any of y'all out there in "keto land" want to add me as a friend, I would gladly welcome it. Happy Macro Counting!