Muscle failure

Does anyone still lift till muscle failure?

It has been at least 10 years since I've lifted till muscle failure. This past week it did not take long to get to failure but I can remember being in the gym for 2 hours some days working legs.
I have to say it felt good to have sore muscles again.

Replies

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    If you're not lifting to within 3 reps of failure, you're not doing anything. Still true today as it was 10 years ago, as long as you're lifting at %60 of your 1RM or greater.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Prepare yourself for the "OMG you gunna die" comments headed this way.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Only if doing so doesn't not affect form.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Only if doing so doesn't not affect form.

one of the first muscle memory's that came back was....... drop sets
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    blakejohn wrote: »
    Prepare yourself for the "OMG you gunna die" comments headed this way.

Well if I have a choice, I'd like to die doing squats

Only way to go, really. >:)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    My programming doesn't allow for failure, it's more long term based and being able to progress for my needs. Thought I've been RPE 9.99 a few times, lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    My programming doesn't allow for failure, it's more long term based and being able to progress for my needs. Thought I've been RPE 9.99 a few times, lol.

Pretty much what I do.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Pretty much what I do.

Same here. As a matter of fact, a couple of times today...
  • jusldudley
    jusldudley Posts: 7 Member
    I struggle with forcing myself mentally to lift to actual muscle failure. That point where I want to stop, but I know I have a few more reps in me.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Just thought I would give a progress report. This week it took a little more to get to failure with my legs and the day after legs there is hardly any soreness.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Wait for it... my soreness took it's precious time. After training two days ago I was disappointed to not be sore yesterday on my rest day. I am so sore today. And I planned to go to the gym today. People call it DOMS for a reason... the delay can vary.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    richln wrote: »
    One time I tried, but I have never been able to fail at anything.
    :D
    Are you Chuck Norris in disguise lurking on this site?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    skymningen wrote: »
    Wait for it... my soreness took it's precious time. After training two days ago I was disappointed to not be sore yesterday on my rest day. I am so sore today. And I planned to go to the gym today. People call it DOMS for a reason... the delay can vary.

Heheh. I'm always sore two days later. The day after I'm just a little tight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    skymningen wrote: »

Heheh. I'm always sore two days later. The day after I'm just a little tight.

Same here. And for me, it's only lower body.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    If you're not lifting to within 3 reps of failure, you're not doing anything. Still true today as it was 10 years ago, as long as you're lifting at %60 of your 1RM or greater.

wait can you explain that? So you're saying for example if I can do 8 reps of a weight, I should start to fail at the 5th rep? Sorry just want to understand more about how to gauge that. Thanks!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Rusty740 wrote: »

wait can you explain that? So you're saying for example if I can do 8 reps of a weight, I should start to fail at the 5th rep? Sorry just want to understand more about how to gauge that. Thanks!

NO, what it appears is being said, is that your working(training) load should stop within 1-3 reps of failure. so if you're working 3 sets 8 reps, your failure point should be in the 9-11 range.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    ohhhhh okay gotya, thank you!