Splurge Day?

Options
Musaniac
Musaniac Posts: 26 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've heard that having a splurge day once a week or week and half is good because it helps confuse your body so that it doesn't get too used to a certain amount of calories and plateau your weight loss. Can anybody attest to this?

Replies

• pmyn29
    pmyn29 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think the tricking your body thing is a myth. But it can probably help you from going crazy if you are cutting calories too severely. The key is to stay on track the day after you splurge, one day won't make a huge difference.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to have a splurge "meal" than it is a whole day. Like have a pizza night or whatever it is you love for a meal. Having a whole day to eat whatever tends to make people really go off the rails sometimes.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i have heard this as well.. i think it worked for me because the increased macros made me go harder in the gym.. and therefore lost weight
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you can maintain a calorie deficit accounting for you day of eating then go for it. Many people with low maintenance calories find they go over their weekly deficit with a day of haphazard eating.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I do a splurge meal one time per week. While I don't think it really benefits me physically, the mental aspects of it are huge. Knowing that I'll have that release makes it so much easier to resist cravings on a daily basis.

Funny enough, I generally end up keeping well below maintenance for the day despite the splurge meal since I always seem to factor into my calories (though I don't force myself to) but the mental release still works.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    People tend to take half truths and twist them into a way to do what they want. If you're in a prolonged deficit you may benefit from a high carb low fat refeed day a couple times a month in a controlled manner to raise leptin levels but there is no such thing as "shocking or tricking" the body lol
    That being said, I wouldn't advocate a splurge day weekly unless you are damn sure of your figures both before and while you "splurge" and are psychologically okay with glycogen and water weight messing with you for a few days after.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I've had splurges every week to two weeks. It definitely feels good to eat all that you have been craving and look forward to it- like chocolates, muffins, ect. But when u weigh yourself the next day or day after that and see the scale has gone up 3 lbs?!- it feels horrible.. even knowing it's just water retention, it may just break someone. So, have it if you really feel the need, but it will come with consequences.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't have a splurge day. I plan for dining out and will look up the nutrition info online or make a best guess. If I go to over, I'll make up for it at the gym or eat fewer calories the next day.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Musaniac wrote: »
    I've heard that having a splurge day once a week or week and half is good because it helps confuse your body so that it doesn't get too used to a certain amount of calories and plateau your weight loss. Can anybody attest to this?

A myth, and this is something I actively avoid. I'm not willing to put my good work with CICO at risk by having a splurge. If I want something I work it in to my daily or weekly calories. I fancied a Whopper (minus mayo) from BK after the gym the other night and went there and enjoyed it. I finished my day slightly under my calorie goal. That is the way to do it I think.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A whole day eating everything you want? That could easily wipe out any deficit you created earlier in the week. Have a splurge meal if you want, but don't go crazy. It won't confuse your body but it should taste yummy.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I splurge within my calories on Friday night and Saturday. I'm having an 1100 calorie supper tonight. Tomorrow, I mean to have a frosted shortbread and 2 pieces of potato kugel for breakfast and a bagel with cheese for supper. However, I walked for two hours this morning and will be taking a shorter walk this afternoon when I go run an errand (probably about 45 minutes). Tomorrow, I'll walk more, because I'm short and sedentary and if I want to eat some higher-calorie foods on a base 1380 calories, I need to exercise a little more so I have space for other foods that will satiate me more. But I'm going to enjoy those splurges guilt-free.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I splurge within my calories on Friday night and Saturday. I'm having an 1100 calorie supper tonight. Tomorrow, I mean to have a frosted shortbread and 2 pieces of potato kugel for breakfast and a bagel with cheese for supper. However, I walked for two hours this morning and will be taking a shorter walk this afternoon when I go run an errand (probably about 45 minutes). Tomorrow, I'll walk more, because I'm short and sedentary and if I want to eat some higher-calorie foods on a base 1380 calories, I need to exercise a little more so I have space for other foods that will satiate me more. But I'm going to enjoy those splurges guilt-free.

Mmm! Sounds yummy. Enjoy! A splurge should definitely be planned out and enjoyed guilt-free. That's the smart way to go about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Musaniac wrote: »

It's not really about confusing your body...it's more about hormone regulation. When I'm cutting weight, I typically have a maintenance day (maybe slightly over) once or sometimes twice per week and things seem to move along nicely. These aren't just shovel everything into your mouth days...they are just slightly higher calorie days and I plan mine out pretty well with a focus on carbs.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I think if you're needing to go over your calorie allotment on a regular basis you're probably not eating enough day to day.

I never feel the need to splurge because I give myself enough calories either through a lower deficit or higher burn from exercise. I never feel deprived so never the need to splurge for the sake of splurging.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that if you NEED to splurge (either for physical reasons or mental reasons) then you are depriving yourself (or feel deprived) the rest of the week. If you are depriving yourself, then you will not be able to sustain your plan and any weightloss long term. You need to find a plan that allows you to feel fulfilled while still acheiving your goals.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I, like others here, would say the only benefit here is a mental one. As long as you continue to burn more than you eat you should continue to lose weight. Sometimes though, it is nice to just have a bit of what you fancy. For example, today I know I'm going 200 calories over because I really really fancied some After Eights. But it's cool because yesterday I was 300 calories under as I just wasn't all that hungry. I think the two days should balance themselves out and we all need a bit of leniency now and then. Have a treat OP, but don't go crazy and you should be fine :-)