Jalepeno Poppers - Skinny Style!

Options
silver02bullet
silver02bullet Posts: 261 Member
Hello All! I went to a cookout last week and the host had made jalepeno poppers. (You know...the ones that are oozing with all kinds of cheeses and wrapped in a delicious slice of bacon...) They were delicious, but I only ate one because I felt guilty.

So I decided to make a healthier version.

6-8 jalepenos, cut in half lengthwise - seeded
3 triangles of any flavor Skinny Cow cheese
a couple of shakes of parmesan cheese (or fresh grated)
tsp or so of bacon bits
garlic powder
tiny bit of shredded cheddar (optional)

Mix up the cheeses and bacon. This will make a thicker paste. I then just put this cheese mixture into a pepper half. Sprinkle a little bit of the cheddar on top for color. I bake these in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. I just wait for the cheese to kind of bubble and the bottoms of the pepper to blacken. You can also put these on the grill if you so desire.

This may not be the exact measurements, because the peppers vary in size as well. Sometimes I might add a little bit of the cheddar in the mixture too. You can pretty much do anything you want. They are delicious and a very lo-cal alternative to the original. I don't feel bad eating these at all. :)

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    that just sounds delightful, hahahaha :)
  • PinkDeeAnna
    Options
    They sound great...how many calories etc are they?
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Nice! Now I know what to do with all the Jalapenos from my garden.
  • k_perz
    k_perz Posts: 10
    Options
    These look amazing! Can't wait to try them!
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    These sound great - I love jalapeno poppers but I haven't been able to find a skinny version that I like. I'll be trying these this weekend. Thanks! :happy:
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • rjs3455
    rjs3455 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Sounds yummy
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    Thanks! OMG I will be eating this on the weekend! LOVE IT!
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    sounds delicious !!
  • silver02bullet
    Options
    They sound great...how many calories etc are they?

The last time I made them I added all kinds of weird cheeses and extra stuff and I quoted them at 30 calories a piece. But for this basic recipe I'd guess around 15-20 calories a pepper half. What I do is calculate all my cheese mixture ingredients and divide that by how many halves I have. (Half a jalepeno is only 2 calories all by itself.)

Glad I could help you guys out! Even my roommate who does not count calories loves these. She calls them the 'devil peppers'.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for sharing this! the BF and i LOVE spicey food, he will love these when UI make them friday! thanks again!
  • VJ150
    VJ150 Posts: 453
    Options
    Sounds delicious. I love poppers, but they have too many carbs. I will be trying this. Thanks for sharing!! :bigsmile:
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    OMG! Thanks so much for this! I love jalepeno poppers and I stopped making them because of the calories involved.
  • light_shimmer
    light_shimmer Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • silver02bullet
    Options
    You guys are welcome! Glad I could contribute a new recipe!
  • jmikels67
    jmikels67 Posts: 116
    Options
    Love this!
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    thank you for this recipe! i love anything jalepeno
  • catgirl711
    Options
    Sounds absolutely delicious! I can't wait to try them!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Will try this tonight!
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We do a very similar recipe with our jalepenos. But in place of the laughing cow we use cream cheese mixed with shredded cheddar or mexican shredded cheese. You can use any of the 1/3 less fat or ff versions in it. I like your idea of the bacon bits, I usually sprinkle mine with a little bit of bread crumbs on the top and then bake. Yummy :)