Do You Guys Fret Over Unbalanced Meals?

Options
SH0985
SH0985 Posts: 14 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
For example, I went over my carbohydrates recommendation. But, my proteins and my fats were low. As were my daily calories.

Do you all fret about that when you log?

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Not really, but I mainly keep an eye on sugar and fat. Also, for my main meal I try to balance the plate as Half Vegetables, Quarter Meat, and Quarter Starch.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Not if it's not consistent. I've had the occasional go over sodium or fats, I go over sugar almost daily but I've managed to at least bring that number way down. I'd more worry if it ends up being a consistent pattern, or you could look back and see if maybe there's an alternative to a specific food item that can easily push you over a number (I cut out the Delissio-style pizzas after seeing the sodium content, homemade is a lot less sodium and more filling).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. Weight loss is 100% about the calories you consume, not the macros. But I do try to meet my protein goal.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If it only happens a few times a week I'm guessing it won't have much affect. I don't fret over 1 or 2 unbalanced days a week because I'm getting proper nutrition overall. I guess in the end I'd say look at the bigger picture: Is your day balanced? is your week pretty close to normal? If you're trying to lose weight then the macros don't matter as long as you keep a deficit. It may just affect how you feel.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Nope. Don't make yourself crazy. If it all comes out over a week, it's all good. Don't get too rules based about it.

BUMP
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I watch my carbs per meal because I'm a diabetic, but apart from that I don't worry about macros. The pop up warnings annoy me and I wish I could turn them off. MFP's sodium recommendation in particular is too low - it's based on the current USDA recommendation which research says is actually low enough to be unhealthy. I have my settings customized but it still pings me every time I eat sushi.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes, but I have to remind myself that balance is a range, not an arbitrary, fixed number. Our bodies are highly adaptible, and take what it needs from what it gets, and the element of time smoothes things out. What I don't want to do, is create an accumulating imbalance. But I know what balanced meals look like, so I'm good.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm always over or under on something. It's near impossible to get the numbers 100% perfect.
  • lildazed88
    lildazed88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I fret a little. Protein is the most difficult to increase for me while fat seems to add up quickly (to be fair, it's healthy fats, not saturated). I like variety, but I'll sometimes have the exact same breakfast 4 days in a row. So the same situation occurs.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    How do you feel when you're under/over on things? If you're not getting enough protein and find you're often hungry, that is important to know. If you love watermelon (like me) and are over every day on your carbs/sugar (like me) but don't "crash" from the sugar, don't worry about it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    No. There are 3 (or more) meals in the day, and possibly more than 20 meals in a week. One unbalanced meal means nothing, unless you are eating nothing but that meal for every meal every single day for several weeks/months.

I never fret over my meal quality. There was a time where I had funnel cake for dinner. Nothing happened. I didn't suddenly drop dead. I know my diet is varied enough to have enough nutrients and that deficiencies take time to develop.

I'm sometimes lower than I would like on protein, but as long as I'm trying to hit my protein target whenever possible and sustainable I'm good. Fretting over that would have caused me to quit long time ago.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    No.
    I focus on CICO - I have a look at the breakkdown to see if my personlbalance over the week is about right, but that is it. I totally do not fret on a meal to meal basis. Sounds liek wy too much work for me in my life
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I only worry about my daily calorie threshold and my protein goal.

If I started noticing my fats were consistently low on a day to day basis, I'd rethink that, but it's not, so I don't.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lildazed88 wrote: »
    I fret a little. Protein is the most difficult to increase for me while fat seems to add up quickly (to be fair, it's healthy fats, not saturated). I like variety, but I'll sometimes have the exact same breakfast 4 days in a row. So the same situation occurs.

Saturated fat is also healthy! What makes you think it isn't?
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    "Balanced" is subjective. I'm training for 3rd powerlifting competition in August. My protein is high and carbs are a lot higher than my usual goal. My current macro goals aren't going to appropriate for others; and won't be appropriate when my training goals change.

If your goal is fat loss, calories should be your first priority. For me (for fat loss), my second priority is protein.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    The pop up warnings annoy me and I wish I could turn them off.

Settings, Diary Settings, Show Food Diary Insights. Uncheck that box.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Nope I balance it out by the week.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I fret, but that is mainly because I go over my carbs and sometimes don't even hit half my protein on a regular basis. So that is something I am working on this summer, playing around with what feels good to me (and I don't feel great when the majority of my intake is carbs and I don't get enough protein).

However, I try to not fret too much and just move forward. But my "unbalanced" eating can mean that I realise I need more protein (because I belive I can feel it) and I will down a protein shake, even if it takes me over my recced calories (which is usually changed anyway due to work out).