Can I workout immediately after consuming food?

Options
Or is it wrong because then, body will burn the eaten calories and not stored fat from the body?

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The answer is you can, but the question is will you be comfortable?

Your body is designed to be able to exercise pretty much at any time. Humans developed in a world in which you may be out gathering nuts or hunting rabbits, eat a meal, then have to run because of enemies, preditors, or the like.

Saying that, eating a big meal and then immediately going out on a run, a vigorous yoga workout, or hop on the rowing machine. is not a good idea only because your body will not have digested the food and that causes gastro-intestinal distress. Typically a half-hour or an hour after eating is usually fine. For most people walking after eating is just fine.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above. I'm uncomfortable working out right after eating.
    I've also read that certain workouts like yoga should be done on an empty stomach - especially if you're doing lots of twists (not sure if that's 100% true but it feels much better)
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I did that the other night. Ate dinner while it was storming then it immediately cleared up so I went for my 50 min run. Big mistake for me anyways. I felt like my food was up in my throat during the whole run. Note to me....easier to run on an empty stomach. :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I dunno, can you?
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I can't workout right after eating, makes me wanna puke. Again depends on what's your exercise, walking would be fine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Totally irrelevant for weight loss where your fuel comes from - that's down to your calorie deficit over an extended period of time.
    With possible exception if you puke up your recently eaten food while training you will have effectively taken in less calories. :neutral:
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If your body will let you, there's no reason not to.

However, most people find that exercising or training energetically after eating causes discomfort. Some people find that discomfort severe or debilitating.
  • jayashreeravi1
    jayashreeravi1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I think you may also be a bit confused on how digestion and metabolism works.

Your body always has a certain amount of energy available in the body for everyday action. If you don't, you would collapse and die. Or you have low blood sugar which affects your higher functions like attention. This is what energy is burned first in any circumstance.

Fat is stored energy in the body. Your body (in general) does not go into its stored energy unless it has to.

Here's a good analogy: The fat is the body's saving account. The body does not dip into the savings account unless it's checking account is in deficit.

Now, your body's metabolism is a very sophisticated system. Timing is not really an issue when it comes to burning calories, stored fat, and exercise. Your body will ALWAYS burn the freely available energy first, the fat last.

Thanks, that was very informative!
  • jayashreeravi1
    jayashreeravi1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    The answer is you can, but the question is will you be comfortable?

Your body is designed to be able to exercise pretty much at any time. Humans developed in a world in which you may be out gathering nuts or hunting rabbits, eat a meal, then have to run because of enemies, preditors, or the like.

Saying that, eating a big meal and then immediately going out on a run, a vigorous yoga workout, or hop on the rowing machine. is not a good idea only because your body will not have digested the food and that causes gastro-intestinal distress. Typically a half-hour or an hour after eating is usually fine. For most people walking after eating is just fine.

I mean, working out after a small breakfast, for example. All I have for breakfast is 1 mini bagel (125 calories) and 8 oz. skim milk (90 calories) and after that, I feel fine for a workout. Thanks for the reply.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Can you? Sure
    Will it impact your weight loss or gain? Not really.
    Likely hood you'll puke depending on your work load? High.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Or is it wrong because then, body will burn the eaten calories and not stored fat from the body?

It's irrelevant...your body is constantly cycling between fat oxidation and fat storage...if you require 3000 calories to maintain your weight and you eat 2500 calories per day, you will lose about 1 Lb per week regardless of when you eat or exercise, etc.

I personally couldn't workout right after eating simply because I'd puke my guts out.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter which calories your body burns. But if you eat a huge meal then run or swim you might get reflux or worse. Just try it and see how it goes, as digestion is very individual.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. I can't work out after eating cause I will straight up hurl it right back out but hey whatever floats your boat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    I can only manage a short workout fasted, if we're talking something semi-intense, otherwise I run out of steam. For example, I can pound out a decent 20 minutes on the rowing machine when fasted, but performance suffers when I go much longer.

Since I have the insensitive digestive system of a true genetic peasant, I can eat shortly before a workout that works its way up to near anaerobic threshold with no major digestive distress.

With experience, I've learned what best to eat before particular morning workouts: A bit lighter before spin class or I might get some reflux, but heavier on carbs before on-water rowing or I'll be ravenous after. When I was taking a kettlebell class back to back with spin class, a small carb snack in between helped my energy level in the second one (kettlebell) and the rest of the day. One of those little packs of unsweetened applesauce, around 60 calories IIRC, was perfect.

None of these variations seem to have the slightest effect on weight loss rate.

Experiment a bit, and you'll figure out what works for you - timing, macros, volume & specific foods - so your energy holds up during the workout, you don't have digestive distress, and your recovery is most effective.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There are good reasons for exercising with some food in your stomach, but it makes no difference for fat loss. Suppose you digest 150 calories per hour. You eat a 500 calorie meal and you burn 500 calories in an hour of exercise. When you are done exercising you will still have 350 calories of undigested food. For simplicity let's say these calories are stored as fat. This doesn't mean you will gain weight because your body used 350 calories of fat due to exercise.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a nut bar (~200 calories) before exercising in the morning, and it never gave me any trouble. One day I skipped it, and that was fine, too. So now I mostly work out fasted, and have a hot meal afterwards. But that's just personal preference.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yup, you'll need to experiment a bit to find out what works for you. I have a cast iron stomach, and I'm fine exercising after all but the largest meals. I find I perform better with at least a little bit of food before a workout. I'm a cyclist, and I'll pack a snack to eat on the bike on longer (> ~90min or so) rides. Usually a bar or some fig newtons, but if I could figure out how to carry a slice of pizza in my jersey pocket without making a mess, I would.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I have to eat around 2 hours before I work out whether I am jogging or lifting. If I don't eat I feel weak, if I eat too close to working out I feel sluggish and lead footed.

I can walk fasted.