When does healthy eating become disordered eating?

Options
Is it bad to weigh out all your food and track every single calorie even if you're not trying to lose weight?
If your bmi was just underweight but you didn't want to gain any weight would that be bad?

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Yes. As you are tracking calories for pure weight management. Now, if you were tracking nutrients instead....making sure you get enough protien and not too much cholesterol. Then that would be different.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Only a professional can tell you for sure if you have an eating disorder. If you don't have a mental health professional, speak to your GP and they can help you get started finding one. A GP should also be able to help you figure out if you are in fact at risk and need to see someone.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    Is it bad to weigh out all your food and track every single calorie even if you're not trying to lose weight?
    If your bmi was just underweight but you didn't want to gain any weight would that be bad?

There is no absolute definition/answer. Do you feel stressed/guilty/anxious if you don't log/weigh/measure? Do you feel stressed/guilty/anxious when you eat, even if its a reasonable sized meal? If yes or maybe, it would not hurt to find a professional to talk to.
  • liaoverbrook
    liaoverbrook Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    in my experience, it is when food becomes something you are illogically anxious over, when any change to a plan to eat out or what food is going to be served changes and you cry and scream and refuse to eat because that's not what you planned. when you reward yourself for not eating with more not eating.
    an eating disorder or disordered eating is obsessive, illogical and controlling.
    please seek help if you feel like this or anything resembling this.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Why did you never come back to your thread OP? lol
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Only a professional can tell you for sure if you have an eating disorder. If you don't have a mental health professional, speak to your GP and they can help you get started finding one. A GP should also be able to help you figure out if you are in fact at risk and need to see someone.

This exactly. A quiz is not a mental health professional diagnosis.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Because *kitten* happened
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »

Because *kitten* happened

I hope you are well.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's not always easy to know where the lines are. But you're already underweight and still trying to lose weight, that's concerning. I'd have a talk with your Dr if I were you.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Depends on who you ask too. I have friends who think that refusing a free lunch to save calories for the week end is a sign of an eating disorder.

IMO you pretty much HAVE to get close to an eating disorder to lose weight though. Think about it, you have to think way too much about food and plan meals and say no to some things you really want so you don't gain weight. That's definitely not a normal way of thinking about food either.

Bottom line is that if we overate enough to be obese, we probably have another kind of eating disorder in the first place. So obviously we'll have to take extreme steps to fix it. Like I told my friend... yeah, maybe refusing a free lunch seems crazy, but you pretty much have to get close to crazy at times if you want to lose the weight (just IMO, of course).

Most insightful comment I have read and 100% true. Thinking about food all the time, measuring and logging by the gram is definitely neurotic to people that don’t do it but it works for weight loss and it’s technically “easy” after you get through the mental part so it becomes your new “normal.” And then you refuse the drinks and pizza during social time with friends because you already ate your allotted calories for the day etc. I guarantee you that when you leave the party, your friends are talking about you. It’s just human nature unfortunately.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    There is no absolute definition/answer. Do you feel stressed/guilty/anxious if you don't log/weigh/measure? Do you feel stressed/guilty/anxious when you eat, even if its a reasonable sized meal? If yes or maybe, it would not hurt to find a professional to talk to.

This. And unless you are starving yourself constantly or over exercising and under eating you should be fine. I was anorexic for many years when I was young. I didn't eat a lot of the time or only ate a few crackers and water each day in order to keep that number on the scale where I wanted it.