When does healthy eating become disordered eating?

Options

Replies

• Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think the first goal for you is to gain weight in order to no longer be underweight. Being at a healthy weight will help you avoid problems such as hair loss, vitamin deficiency, and osteoporosis.

Please speak with your doctor about your concerns, and I do think weight gain would be a good start.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    But again, everyone is so quick to tell people that they have an eating disorder if they are too thin or watch calories, yet being 100 lbs overweight is nornal.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I agree, @kommodevaran - I enjoy my food
    more
    when I'm on a calorie budget, despite (or because of) the tension of wanting more than I can have.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    While you have to be consistent, determined and thorough to lose weight, I do NOT agree that you have to come close to disordered eating.

Some of the behaviours may be superficially similar, but there are crucial differences - specifically, how you feel about it. Calorie counting and healthy choices should not be associated with anxiety, and to the extent that they are, you are doing it wrong.

Now, of course we all struggle with this initially, but if you are moving in the right direction, you should see a decrease in that anxiety and a gradually healthier, more proportionate relationship to food as time goes on. Less moralising, less splitting, less worrying, less emotional eating, less self-hatred, less need to fret over every bite.

By contrast, an eating disorder will see an increase in all those things over time, because an eating disorder is not a means of empowering yourself - it is a progressive loss of control.

We should all take note of this and regularly check our feelings and attitudes, because it is true that any weight loss effort carries a risk of developing disordered eating behaviours.

Look at your trajectory. You should see an improvement in your attitude and feelings around food. If it's deteriorating, you need to revisit your approach, and perhaps seek help.

Explain to me how eating at a deficit is possible without any anxiety when you LOVE eating and have a social life that often involves food (that you may not have much control over).

Why do you think that people gain the weight back? Because it gets harder, not easier, for most people.
    I think it's the other way around. If you're going to succeed with weight management, it can't be a struggle. My love for food has matured (if that is an appropriate word) as food became more of a "limited resource" - instead of eating as much as possible, of anything, anytime I could (that is, whenever I couldn't help myself, or nobody was watching), I pick reasonable amounts of my favorite items, and never feel ashamed, guilty, or like I'm losing control. This goes hand in hand with being more assertive - I don't accept every offer of food anymore, and with being more confident - if none of the foods offered are good enough, I can wait until I find something I want to eat. Not being afraid means I'm also becoming more flexible, so a wider range of foods are indeed acceptable. For me, it's getting easier.

Yes, I agree with this whole-heartedly. My love of food has *matured*. I like that. I've become discerning about it. There are times when I'm not, and I'm aware of making a conscientious choice at the time to not be quite as *mature*.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

ETA: Furthermore, there comes a time where all of us need to confront our attachment to food in order to conquer our issues with our weight. I don't think you've done that. Eating is emotionally important to you for some deep reason. You need to examine it and move past it or you will gain all your weight back.

Well said!

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    While you have to be consistent, determined and thorough to lose weight, I do NOT agree that you have to come close to disordered eating.

Some of the behaviours may be superficially similar, but there are crucial differences - specifically, how you feel about it. Calorie counting and healthy choices should not be associated with anxiety, and to the extent that they are, you are doing it wrong.

Now, of course we all struggle with this initially, but if you are moving in the right direction, you should see a decrease in that anxiety and a gradually healthier, more proportionate relationship to food as time goes on. Less moralising, less splitting, less worrying, less emotional eating, less self-hatred, less need to fret over every bite.

By contrast, an eating disorder will see an increase in all those things over time, because an eating disorder is not a means of empowering yourself - it is a progressive loss of control.

We should all take note of this and regularly check our feelings and attitudes, because it is true that any weight loss effort carries a risk of developing disordered eating behaviours.

Look at your trajectory. You should see an improvement in your attitude and feelings around food. If it's deteriorating, you need to revisit your approach, and perhaps seek help.

Explain to me how eating at a deficit is possible without any anxiety when you LOVE eating and have a social life that often involves food (that you may not have much control over).

Why do you think that people gain the weight back? Because it gets harder, not easier, for most people.

People that have never had a weight problem behave this way all the time -making choices & trade-offs (whether consciously or unconsciously) on what and how much to eat. I don’t know about you, but my goal is to think like that.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I definitely think my eating is a bit disordered; not because I track but because I sometimes binge; I think about food too often; a couple of other things I can't recall. Not much I can do about that other than therapy (which I can't afford and it's not affecting my life negatively) I think being aware of your intake, however, isn't the disordered part.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

People that have never had a weight problem behave this way all the time -making choices & trade-offs (whether consciously or unconsciously) on what and how much to eat. I don’t know about you, but my goal is to think like that.

Of course, but most people gain the weight back because it's not that easy to completely reteach your brain how to see food a healthy way.