So I tried the 5x5 routine....

Options
kmaf2018
kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
And I actually preferred it so much better.

I was asking the question the other day on here about reps and someone mentioned to try the 5x5 routine and a PT at the gym even suggested it but as she's a powerlifter my initial thought was "I can't do that"....

However, today I did it, I was able to lift heavier and I didn't feel like I'd done a cardio session! I felt like I'd done a proper weight session. I felt the moves/weight were targeting my muscles as opposed to targetting my lungs! I felt more able to really concentrate on the movement as I only had 5x reps to do each set....

It felt good.....and knowing I only had 5x reps to do gave me more confidence to go that bit heavier (as I know I'm capable of lifting that bit heavier), on Monday my deadlift was 50kg, today was 60kg, my squat was 42.5kg and today it was 50kg....Bentover row was 35kg and today it was 43.5kg.

I felt good doing it that way....

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the warm up sets
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    Yeah sorry, I do warm up sets before hand and a warm up session my PT shown me.

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I really like that sort of rep range too. It feels manageable. Even if the 3rd one is really hard, you know you only have 2 more to do!

I've been lifting that way (ish - initially 5x5 but now my trainer sets slightly different things for me) for a year now, and have changed my shape a lot in a really good way, without bulking anything crazy.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Yep, I never got it until I got it! I also really like that I now only lift 3x a week. No matter what I fit it in my schedule, I recover better, I progress better and I think I look better.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Five rep sets are wonderful. They feel like work, and are a sweet spot for most people trying to get strong.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I miss 5x5. I'm doing Strong Curves now and most exercises are 8-10 reps. Exhausting. I lift less with high reps and am still doing about the same total reps with fewer sets. I'm not really sure what the point is. I couldn't find an explanation in the book.
  • kmaf2018
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thats how I felt doing the 8-12 reps, I was exhausted, my HR was always high and it felt more like I was lifting weights on the outside but the inside I was running haha!...Whereas today's workout felt like a proper weight workout....I feel really good
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I miss 5x5. I'm doing Strong Curves now and most exercises are 8-10 reps. Exhausting. I lift less with high reps and am still doing about the same total reps with fewer sets. I'm not really sure what the point is. I couldn't find an explanation in the book.

While there's a wide range of reps that can be used for hypertrophy, lower reps do lend themselves more to strength than do higher reps. Strong Curves is a physique-focused book with physique-focused programs so it's going to tend to use higher reps than will StrongLifts, which is a strength-focused program. If you continue to lift with higher reps you will get more used to it and it won't be as exhausting.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Word. I hate reps 8 and above on the compound lifts. Cardio for me. Hate cardio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Physique focus vs Strength focus
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Strong Curves is a hypertrophy program, not a strength program, therefore the reps are in the higher rep range. Same total reps, but few sets, is also equal to more time under tension at a particular weight. Also good for hypertrophy.