working out with 2 kids under 5

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mjtaylor87 wrote: »
    oh i ment the covered one like this. so they could go to sleep if they wanted too. i wanted to get the ones that are like a little bike that he can ride on but i worried about him falling off and then i couldnt take both of them with me and that would defeat the purpose of it all lol

xzgkoalpl4nh.jpeg

If you went with a Weehoo, it's a recumbent with backed seats and they're strapped in, so they won't fall out.

On the flip side, someone mentioned a jogging stroller...when we had our regular trailer, it doubled as a jogging stroller or walking stroller. It was very similar to this...

510E4E-BbJL._SY355_.jpg

When you want to bike, you just remove the front wheel and then the trailer attachment flips out from underneath.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Girl! There are SO many workouts that will incorporate the kiddos and make it fun for all of you. Squat while they are on your shoulders, let them sit on back while doing push ups, pick them up and down for arm curls, let them sit on your feet while you do sit ups, at the park do squats with the swing, run stairs at the bottom of the slide, play chase, turn on music and boogie, there is an app game "just dance now" that my kids and i do. Just get creative, it's hard working out with littles but the more you do it the more they will get use to it . :smile:
  • mjtaylor87
    mjtaylor87 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    MzHill08 wrote: »
    Girl! There are SO many workouts that will incorporate the kiddos and make it fun for all of you. Squat while they are on your shoulders, let them sit on back while doing push ups, pick them up and down for arm curls, let them sit on your feet while you do sit ups, at the park do squats with the swing, run stairs at the bottom of the slide, play chase, turn on music and boogie, there is an app game "just dance now" that my kids and i do. Just get creative, it's hard working out with littles but the more you do it the more they will get use to it . :smile:

I need to try that app. I do a lot of dancing with the kids.
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    My kids are 9, 7, and 3 and we do calisthenics every morning - pushups, situps, jumping jacks, planks, etc. for 20 mins. We hit the local playgrounds and just play, sometime doing pullup competitions, but the point is unstructured play.

We have an Xbox with Kinect and a few workout programs which helps keep them active.

I bought a 2 seat bike trailer years back, but the kids have outgrown it and I donated this to a teammate at work. Great fun and not that hard to tow.

awesome i will be getting the bike tow. kind of worried though because i havent been on a real bike in 15+ years lol

As others have said - shop used or check out local bike shops, ask around school, etc. I have a similar backpack baby hauler that was donated to us and we in turn are donating to the next generation.

And kids - these are mobile weights. I deadlift, bend over row, overhand press all three.

Better than used. Had a lady on a Facebook yard sale site give me one for FREE!!!!! Needs some tlc but I can do that
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I had a bike trailer. My kids loved it! I never found it much more taxing than just my body weight, but I also don't have a lot of hills.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Also... I agree with the above poster. Use your kids as weights! They love it. Giggles and grins for days.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The trailers not hard to pull with a 4 and 2 yo. I use to stick 3 in mine (5,3, & 1) and that wasnt too bad either unless there was a hill. My kids would still happily ride in it now though it would be hard work. With the 4yo you could get him a scooter so he can start with that and when he's had enough its small enough to put in the trailer and you can keep going with him sitting in the trailer (mine has a small boot).

I see a lot of runners with prams at my park run, those parents always have snacks at the ready. But mostly I think its consistency, they do it each week and get used to it and learn not to complain too much. Many also let the child start running and then pop them in the pram when they have had enough.
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    The trailers not hard to pull with a 4 and 2 yo. I use to stick 3 in mine (5,3, & 1) and that wasnt too bad either unless there was a hill. My kids would still happily ride in it now though it would be hard work. With the 4yo you could get him a scooter so he can start with that and when he's had enough its small enough to put in the trailer and you can keep going with him sitting in the trailer (mine has a small boot).

I see a lot of runners with prams at my park run, those parents always have snacks at the ready. But mostly I think its consistency, they do it each week and get used to it and learn not to complain too much. Many also let the child start running and then pop them in the pram when they have had enough.

that is a really good idea. We have scooters for both of them already so i will try that. right now i have to work on getting a bike because i still dont have one lol
  • disney_addict_1028
    disney_addict_1028 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I take my Kids 1 and 4 to the gym look and see if your gym around you has a kids club. Nice break for mom and kids to play!!
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    I take my Kids 1 and 4 to the gym look and see if your gym around you has a kids club. Nice break for mom and kids to play!!

nope closes thing if one gym has a day care but that gym is like $50 a month and you still have to pay the daycare separate too
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Check out www.gonoodle.com

It's for kids, but there are some great movement channels! There are short yoga videos, interval videos, running in place, Zumba and other types of dancing! You and your kids can do it together. I use it for my second graders all the time!
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    Check out www.gonoodle.com

It's for kids, but there are some great movement channels! There are short yoga videos, interval videos, running in place, Zumba and other types of dancing! You and your kids can do it together. I use it for my second graders all the time!

Awesome i will be looking in to this for my next work out
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    @Gloriam_Sanguinis That's awesome - I'm totally doing this with my 4 and 7 year olds!
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    I try to do these things but again im still new. I weight around 300lbs and im not strong enough to be safely lifting them and me. I would love to do things like this and one day i will but i just cant yet.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    yeah i try to do it after they go to bed but by that time i am beat. we have to be up at 5 am and i am not a morning person so working out in the morning is very hard for me. and they take nap but that is while i am at work. I feel bad cause i only have from 4pm when we get home till 8 which is bed time to spend with them. that includes cleaning the house, making dinner, getting everyone's stuff ready for the next day, and fitting in a work out. So i try to put them to bed at 8 and then do a work out till 9 and then be in bed by 10. its just by that late at night i dont feel i get the best work out in.

In my city, I go to the YMCA and it has free babysitting. Not sure if Ymca is near you. In the afternoon I sometimes take the kids to the park. I bought a double running stroller and seat them with a seatbelt, water, goldfish. After I also have the option to go around the playground while they are playing. I bought my double stroller for $40 on Letgo. It does not need to be fancy! I hope that helps

• raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    so im trying to find good work outs to do with my kids around. if i get on like a stationary bike or treadmill they want to know when they get a turn. if i try to go for a run they run off in different directions or wont listen, if i do floor Exercises they want to climb on me. i cant afford the only gym in my town with a day care and have no family that will keep the kids so i can go work out. I was thinking about getting a bike and buying one of those trailer things that they can ride in while i pull it but i worry i am not in shape enough to keep that going. has any one tried one of those? are they hard to pull?

You can also put the 2year old on high chair and dance. For the 5 year old you can have him exercise with you! I also have Fitstar and my 7 year old does with me. Fitstar is an App that you download on iPhone or tablet. I love it
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are you tube videos that show how to use your kids as weights in your workout. Sounds like they would like that!
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There are lots of bike trailers that also have a handle to use it as a stroller. I pulled my 2 and 4 year olds around in a bike trailer and it was lots of fun and not terribly difficult. Make sure to bring snacks for them!!

I fit in short workouts at home whenever I can. Maybe while the kids eat a meal or are occupied with a game. I like the Pop Sugar workouts on YouTube because they have a bunch of different lengths--from 10 minutes to an hour. I usually do multiple 10 minute workouts do I at least feel like I've finished an entire one if I get interrupted. And yeah, getting on the floor always means getting jumped on!!
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, using your kids makes for a great workout. I work in daycare with early toddlers, and they love when I do squats and shoulder lifts while holding them (10 kids, 3 squat and lifts per kid, ranging in weight from maybe 20 lbs to closer to 35+).

They also have taken up liking to march around the room with me singing (Ants go marching) which gives me high knee workouts. Factor I'm my daily movement of just walking and squatting down in general with the kiddos and it's a pretty good workout.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would look on craiglist for a used BOB/double jogging stroller. If you haven't been on a bike in ages and are getting back into shape, I think pushing 2 kids in the stroller might be a better bet. You can also do 3 short 10 minute exercise bursts a day--10 minutes of burpees and squats, for example; 10 minutes at work going up/down stairs; 10 minutes at the end of the day. I also did dance parties with the kids--put on music and just danced around. they loved that. I now have a gym with childcare, though, and its very nice.