Frustrated What to do? More calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• title015944
    title015944 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I am a 48 year old female 5'7 and 170. Last year was at 158. I was told by trainers that I was not intaking enough calories. So in May I changed my routine to include the following: I set my goal to 1450 calories per day which I hit most days. It is clean eating not junk. I drink 110oz of water daily, walk 1-4 miles daily, and workout with a trainer 1x/wk minimum. Since I started I have not gained anymore weight but I have not lost 1 oz. Literally not 1. My clothes are also not fitting as well. I never feel hungry. I am wondering if I need to take in more calories to fuel metabolism because if working out. Scared because I don't want to gain more that I can't get off. I'm at a loss and frustrated. Any thoughts?

This does not matter - you could eat 1,400 calories of nothing but pure sugar and if you're below your calories out then you'll lose weight.

For workouts where you perform at your optimum rate, you need to fuel properly. That doesn't mean eating more, that means eating nutritionally dense foods. These foods do tend to be more bang for your buck foods - as in less calories with higher volumes (sometimes) but that doesn't mean you need to consume more. If you aren't losing weight you're likely eating more than you think you are - as in consuming more than you burn in a day. That's really the science behind losing weight.

To fuel workouts, yes you should probably make sure you eat better but not necessarily more.

Thanks for that. I do need to clarify I'm thinking in my head by more calories not eating more quantity but more foods like meat and nuts that have higer calories but also provide more energy and are sustaining. Currently I eat a lot of veggies and some fruit.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I am a 48 year old female 5'7 and 170. Last year was at 158. I was told by trainers that I was not intaking enough calories. So in May I changed my routine to include the following: I set my goal to 1450 calories per day which I hit most days. It is clean eating not junk. I drink 110oz of water daily, walk 1-4 miles daily, and workout with a trainer 1x/wk minimum. Since I started I have not gained anymore weight but I have not lost 1 oz. Literally not 1. My clothes are also not fitting as well. I never feel hungry. I am wondering if I need to take in more calories to fuel metabolism because if working out. Scared because I don't want to gain more that I can't get off. I'm at a loss and frustrated. Any thoughts?

This does not matter - you could eat 1,400 calories of nothing but pure sugar and if you're below your calories out then you'll lose weight.

For workouts where you perform at your optimum rate, you need to fuel properly. That doesn't mean eating more, that means eating nutritionally dense foods. These foods do tend to be more bang for your buck foods - as in less calories with higher volumes (sometimes) but that doesn't mean you need to consume more. If you aren't losing weight you're likely eating more than you think you are - as in consuming more than you burn in a day. That's really the science behind losing weight.

To fuel workouts, yes you should probably make sure you eat better but not necessarily more.

Thanks for that. I do need to clarify I'm thinking in my head by more calories not eating more quantity but more foods like meat and nuts that have higer calories but also provide more energy and are sustaining. Currently I eat a lot of veggies and some fruit.

No, I assumed that you meant more calories . . . I didn't mean a higher quantity of food.

If you're truly eating 1,400 calories (approx) then you should be losing weight. 900 calories isn't healthy but you'd lose SUPER fast on it if you did genuinely eat that much. I'd wager you're eating more than you think you are. You don't need to eat just fruit and veggies to sustain yourself at all - you can legit eat whatever you want, and as long as you're under your CO you'll lose.