Abdominal crunch calories burned?

Hinkz81
Hinkz81 Posts: 12 Member
Hi guys,
I'm new to this app and also fairly new to fitness. I am tracking my workout and caloric intake on here, and I'm wondering if there's any way to calculate calories burned when doing ab crunches. I understand that it isn't accurate, but I'm trying to figure it in if possible. I'm doing a few sets of 100 per day when I have down time.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    I use "circuit training" for all my gym work. It is probably only even somewhat accurate if you take only very short breaks between sets.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Go to the database and choose "Calisthenics, home, light/moderate effort."

Crunches aren't going to provide much more of a burn than walking.

Circuit training is more appropriate for weighted exercises mixed in with some metabolic stuff.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Very few. I would not add any extra calories to your target for doing crunches- overinflating your calorie burn will be counterproductive to your progress. You can log them and put "1 calorie" or enter them as weight training so you can keep track of how often you do them. Circuit training usually involves much bigger movements done quickly in a circuit.
  • Hinkz81
    Thank you for the feedback. Any thoughts on me doing a few sets of crunches and push ups during the time I'm home and watching TV? I guess my question is, does it make sense for me to do these things when I can to keep myself moving as much as possible or not so much? Sorry, I'm a newbie and don't want to have the adverse effect. (Weight loss) Thank you.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Just use the database... It's got crunches.
  • French_Peasant
    Hinkz81 wrote: »
    Thank you for the feedback. Any thoughts on me doing a few sets of crunches and push ups during the time I'm home and watching TV? I guess my question is, does it make sense for me to do these things when I can to keep myself moving as much as possible or not so much? Sorry, I'm a newbie and don't want to have the adverse effect. (Weight loss) Thank you.

Crunches are an excellent core workout, and if I miss my gym workouts I am often including them in front of the TV in the winter (in the summer I am generally in the garden or on a bike).

If you want a higher calorie burn, do a variety of crunches (bicycles, reverse, double, raised leg, V-leg, pulses on these variations, etc) also incorporate some jump rope (you don't actually need a rope), jumping jacks, jump lunges, bodyweight or jump squats, donkey kicks, mountain climbers, and burpees (if you are more advanced). Push-ups and different planks are always awesome. You can do a certain number of each, or do each for a minute, and then go through 2 or 3 circuits. The more vigorous your exercise, the more you will want to lean toward logging as vigorous calisthenics or circuit training.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i would say crunches burn about zero. sorry about that. they just aren't big calorie burners. But AB exercises are great for your body so do them anyways
  • Hinkz81
    This is very helpful and appreciated!! I think I'll try to come up with a few routines to do from home.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member

Circuit training is more appropriate for weighted exercises mixed in with some metabolic stuff.

I think that's a better choice for most people.

I note that the "vigorous effort" version of calisthenics has nearly the same calorie burn as "circuit training," which is, among other things, easier to spell. :p
  • French_Peasant

I think that's a better choice for most people.

I note that the "vigorous effort" version of calisthenics has nearly the same calorie burn as "circuit training," which is, among other things, easier to spell. :p

I'm pretty sure I can now log at least 15 minutes of circuit training after racking my brain to spell "vigorous calisthenics." :D