Quitting pop.

Options

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I drink diet. Gallons and gallons of the stuff.

Me too. At least a 750ml bottle of Diet Coke a day.

*Fistbump*
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I drink diet. Gallons and gallons of the stuff.

Me too. At least a 750ml bottle of Diet Coke a day.

*Fistbump*

*Fistbump*
  • ToothlessJoe
    ToothlessJoe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to be just as addicted as you are. I tried to quit about a dozen times. The thing that finally broke the habit for me was switching to tea. Specifically, Lipton Diet Green Tea with cirtus. It has 0 calories, is very flavorful, and has none of the chemically nasty aftertaste you get in diet sodas. Plus it has 22mg of caffeine/500ml in it, which is quite a bit less than Mt. Dew, but can still help if you are experiencing caffeine withdrawl.

Good luck!
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Switch to diet. Zero calories. Problem solved.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You could try Throwback as a gateway to diet.

Unless you really want to cut out the carbonation.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    ataraxial wrote: »
    I LOATHE diet soda. I think it tastes terrible!
    I used to hate it, too. You get used to it. I never tried this, but maybe some liquid stevia in a diet soda would work for you.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    In the short term, it might help to find a substitute, like tea. Decaf or herbal are fine if you need that. It doesn't have to be unsweetened - you can add the sweetener of your choice.

In the long term, maybe look for ways to relax that don't involve food or drink. Some people do light exercise, listen to music, pray or meditate, or talk it out. If you need strategies, some kind of counseling might be a good idea. (I'm not saying you need to go to counseling, but counselors and therapists can often give good advice about how to deal with stress.)
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Well seeing that diet is out, have you tried any of the carbonated waters? I know Walmart has their own brand along with many other chains.

I find that my desire from soda stems from wanting the carbonation and nothing more. So whenever I quit soda, I'd go for those.

IF she's getting headaches, that's caffeine withdrawal. Water(unless it's caffeinated...BTW that stuff is nasty) isn't going to help.

I missed the headache part, so it looks like tea is the only option for reducing the headache to keep the caffeine intake if diet soda is out.

Or stop all together, suck up the headache for a few days, then start drinking noncaffeinated drinks. But that's a complete personal choice.
  • DanGarion
    DanGarion Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is a great start. I also highly suggest the now fad driven no calorie, no sweetener sparkling waters that are popular. There are a number of brands including generic store brands now. Find flavors you like and stick with those. It helps me because I love the carbonation.
  • ataraxial
    ataraxial Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I do like unsweetened tea.. That's my drink of choice to replace it with... It's just really hard for me to kick the habit
  • ataraxial
    ataraxial Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just know that it won't always be this hard... It will not only pass, but there will actually come a day when you just won't want it...

Also try waiting until the end of the week and having one with dinner on Friday... Then your not saying never, but later.

When I quit soda, I didn't tell myself I can never have one, rather that I might have one this Friday with dinner, or I might have one this Saturday at the BBQ, I don't know when I will have one again but I'm sure eventually I will. I'm just not going to have one right now, but who knows later, and that's okay if I do, because I've put it off for so long already...

I know this dinner, this BBQ isint my last chance to ever have a soda, there will be millions of other opportunities and it's not going to kill me to pass this one occasion...

Hope that helps...

For God sakes, don't go diet soda, learn to use your mind to beat it... No crutches

I find this to be the most helpful, and I greatly appreciate it. I'm always in the mindset that I'm done for good and actually feel pretty disappointed about it. This is a great idea. I switch to unsweetened tea.. I keep repeating that.. I hate diet soda I don't like flavored water and I don't like sweetened tea. I think unsweetened tea is pretty good for you especially compared to my usual. I'm just suffering from poor self control. Every time that I try to quit I swear someone buys me a pop and I feel like I have to drink it because it's a nice gesture.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ultimately OP, you have to decide if the calories in pop will help you reach your weight loss or fitness goals. If the answer is pop won't help you meet those goals, then it has to go, but only you can make that happen.

I was a 3+ pop a day drinker myself up until a year ago. I just couldn't make the calories fit for my goals, so I kicked it to the curb. I drink sparkling water instead, and an occasional Coke Zero when I need something sweeter and bubbly.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Just know that it won't always be this hard... It will not only pass, but there will actually come a day when you just won't want it...

Also try waiting until the end of the week and having one with dinner on Friday... Then your not saying never, but later.

When I quit soda, I didn't tell myself I can never have one, rather that I might have one this Friday with dinner, or I might have one this Saturday at the BBQ, I don't know when I will have one again but I'm sure eventually I will. I'm just not going to have one right now, but who knows later, and that's okay if I do, because I've put it off for so long already...

I know this dinner, this BBQ isint my last chance to ever have a soda, there will be millions of other opportunities and it's not going to kill me to pass this one occasion...

Hope that helps...

For God sakes, don't go diet soda, learn to use your mind to beat it... No crutches

I find this to be the most helpful, and I greatly appreciate it. I'm always in the mindset that I'm done for good and actually feel pretty disappointed about it. This is a great idea. I switch to unsweetened tea.. I keep repeating that.. I hate diet soda I don't like flavored water and I don't like sweetened tea. I think unsweetened tea is pretty good for you especially compared to my usual. I'm just suffering from poor self control. Every time that I try to quit I swear someone buys me a pop and I feel like I have to drink it because it's a nice gesture.

I also used green tea to help me quit too!
    Also try telling yourself that you don't have poor self control (I bet there are plenty of other areas in your life where your self control is well demonstrated)... You just simply have been including soda in your daily habits and rituals and have replaced it with teas...
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I drink diet and zero pop.

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

I'll deal with you later... :wink:
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hate fake sugar and all those no calorie "waters", so it's good that you like unsweetened tea. I'd say you just gotta set your mind to no pop and make it happen!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I just quit drinking sodas "cold turkey."

Was drinking 3-4 cans of cola a day PLUS 2-3 cans of beer a day. Totally stopped drinking colas and, although I still drink beer now and then, I no longer stock my frig w/it so that I can't just pop open a can at home.

This is the 2nd time around and I don't intend to relapse again this time. Just drink water, tea or coffee at home now when I get thirsty.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can't drink diet pop. Something about the sweeteners just tears my stomach up.

I used to be the kind of person who'd drink 3 cans a day at least, and that was a bulk of my calories. I drink far less now, but I didn't cut it out. I buy those mini cans of dr pepper (90 calories) and just drink it occasionally. It's worked for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I LOATHE diet soda. I think it tastes terrible!
    I used to hate it, too. You get used to it. I never tried this, but maybe some liquid stevia in a diet soda would work for you.

Liquid stevia in a diet soda is twice the gross.

200_s.gif
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Hope that helps...

This is how I've kicked a few of my unhealthy habits. I told myself I could still have whatever it was (usually an excessive number of cookies) just not right now. I still indulge occasionally, but it's not everyday anymore. In the past when I've tried to give them up forever my resolve never lasted long.