What ONE food would you recommend cutting out for weight loss?

Replies

• vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    My friend's mum dropped a dress size in two weeks just from cutting out butter. Have any of you guys found cutting out/cutting down on one certain thing from your diet to be super helpful in terms of weight loss?

Bread? Sugar? Meat? Dairy? Cooking oil? Alcohol?

Bread and Pasta

I'm having bread & pasta for dinner :D
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I would say not to cut out, but cut back on most calorie dense foods. I eat everything, but waaay less of rice, pasta, cheese, chips and crackers, candy, ice cream, bread, cake, butter, oil, peanut butter, preserves, hummus, olives, even way less sugar in my coffee, and only black in the afternoon. That took the most time to gradually adjust, lol. I loved my coffee sweet.
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Agree with the others that no one food is going to cause weight gain or weight loss... It's all about the plan. That being said, I would much rather eat my calories than drink them. I cut out soda and alcohol. It made it easier for me to stay within my calorie goals when I didn't have to factor in beverages.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Food that takes you over your calorie intake
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Nothing. I do prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them, though. I love all the food. ALL THE FOOD.
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Fast food in general.

I can make all those items at home and the taste is much better at a fraction of the calories.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited July 2017
    Any place that has a drive thru
    And Soda
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Whatever food, if there is one, that you find it hard not to overeat. For me, bags of chips.

This! It's not anything specific to any food, it's just learning tricks to work around my own weaknesses.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I cut out Pepsi. I just couldn't afford the extra 1000 calories of it I was drinking per day. Everything else is fair game.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Added sugar for me
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    I honestly didn't cut out anything entirely. I drink far less pop than I once did, but I still drink it sometimes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    faidwen wrote: »
    Sodium!
    Wow really? I know it's bad for your heart and stuff but didn't realise it made a difference with fat loss.

Me giving up excess salt for Lent made no difference on the scale.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited July 2017
    sarahthes wrote: »
    faidwen wrote: »
    Sodium!

Wow really? I know it's bad for your heart and stuff but didn't realise it made a difference with fat loss.

Not fat loss, but you would see a scale drop due to less water retention.

Plus sometimes the salty foods are the calorie dense ones...

Interestingly, I retain water from take-out Chinese food like Pu Pu platters, but not home made Thai food. I'm making Pad Se Ew tonight which has a hefty amount of fish sauce, oyster sauce, and soy sauce, but I will not see any gains on the scale from this.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I haven't really cut anything out, but my food environment is sparse. There are no cookies, candy, chips, or even fruit in my apartment. I do not eat pasta for dinner, but I will eat it in a restaurant once in awhile if it is HANDMADE only. No bread really, again on occasion when it is fresh.

I choose to reduce carbs because I like protein and moderate amount of fat.