Need Late Night Snack Ideas

Options
Hi,

I'm new to MFP, thanks to a friend's recommendation. I've only been using the tools on here for a few days and I'm enjoying the data that it generates, so that I can see patterns developing that I was unaware of (had no idea I ate so much protein!).

I also am serious about succeeding on a weight loss journey and have monitored my own eating habits enough to know that my weakness is late night eating because I'm a night owl. I'm genuinely hungry at 10 - 11 PM. I frequently want "sweet" at that time, so if anyone has ideas for fast sweet treats that won't break the calorie bank, great ! I know one standard reply would be to grab a piece of fruit, but I am allergic to many fresh fruits and need to cook them. What I need help with is something that I can snack on late at night that is 'ready-to-eat' and cooking fruit at that hour of the night is just not practical for me.

Ideas ? Please share. TIA !

Diane

Replies

• WordToYourMamma
    Options
    The new Fiber One Brownies are 90 calories. They are tiny and a little dry, but for 90 calories and brownie flavor they are decent.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I've started eating one chocolate rice cake with just a tad of peanut butter spread on top (1/3 of a 2 Tbsp serving). It's not the healthiest, but not the worst for me either. And it satisfies my cravings for crunchy and sweet and isn't too heavy before bed.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese mixed with no sugar added applesauce and cinnamon. Sounds gross but its really good. Greek yogurt with a scoop of protein mixed into it. An apple/banana with natural peanut butter. No cooking involved!
    (If you're not allergic to apples or bananas.)
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I go with a chocolate meal replacement shake. 150 cals and it's not a heavy food so it sleeps well.
  • Images_Words
    Options
    Nuts are a great late night snack
  • samrobbs
    samrobbs Posts: 1
    Options
    edamame!
  • HatFullOfCrazy
    HatFullOfCrazy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of those Jello sugar-free desserts. Boston Cream Pie, Banana Supreme, Dulce de Leche. About 60 calories and fantastic. Jello cups with cool-whip are tasty too and cool-whip free is virtually no calories. Also Dannon & Yoplait have very tasty yogurts for 80-110 calories each. And if you absolutely MUST have ice cream, try Skinny Cow sandwiches. Lots of variety and very tasty.

I'd recommend other things but your fruit allergy removes my favorites, peanut-butter & apples or fresh fruit & cool-whip (for any non-fruit allergic readers who need the same info).

Best of luck!
  • vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    Options
    1 cup of PLAIN popcorn is like 100 calories i think. I find I need to do something with my hands repetitively in order to be satisfied. Popcorn always solves it. Normally I have a yogurt and berries, or even sugar snap peas and hummus.
  • dfrazier77
    dfrazier77 Posts: 19
    Options
    Not sure how many calories you can spare but I usually go with a PB&J. Filling and hits my sweet tooth with the sweetness of the strawberry jam I use. I have also used an italian icee. Low on calories for the most part...the sugar may be an issue with both these ideas if you don't have the room in your daily nutrition.
  • jemko
    jemko Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same way, I HAVE to have something sweet to 'end' my day mentally. My current treat of choice is a Kind Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew + Antioxidants bar. They are all natural, gluten free, and have 180 calories per bar. They're delicious enough to taste like a candy bar to me, but healthful enough that I don't feel guilty for enjoying them.

If you're trying to stay lower than that in your calories, see if you can find some individually wrapped squares of dark chocolate and allow yourself one square at night. I find it better to have the individually wrapped ones, because it's built-in portion control and helps to avoid the desire to just keep eating the whole bar. :)
  • frecklechic
    Options
    PB&J is good but I always feel like I shouldn't be eating so much before bed. I do use low sugar jelly though and wheat bread. I am wondering what the product Better than Peanut Butter tastes like. It is super low in fat and has 1/2 the calories but still has the protein. I guess I will need to buy it.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Nutella is a good sweet alternative to PB. You can put it on toast, crackers, celery and I'm sure many other things.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you are not allergic to bananas (I hope you're NOT!!) then you definitely need to make a huge batch of banana "ice cream." Store it in small, portion size containers and enjoy, GUILT FREE...
  • laurabell63
    Options
    I agree. Just tried the chocolate peanut butter brownie. Hit the spot!
  • DrDianeMC
    DrDianeMC Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow, you folks are GREAT supports !!! I'm writing all the suggestions down and making myself a list to keep in my purse and next to my computer where I'm likely to enjoy my night time snackola.

I can't eat nuts, but I use soynut butter instead of peanut butter, so the suggestions still work.

I can eat fresh berries (except strawberries), melon, BANANAS (wink) and that will get me through.

Tonight I will enjoy some lowfat vanilla yogurt with fresh blueberries.

Woohoo !

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!

~ Diane