High carb low fat success?

Options
okohjacinda
okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
I hear about low carb all the time now but I never really see high carb low fat lifestyle on here and on other sites anymore. I can't seem to limit my carb content. I tried for a week one time and although I lost 10lbs in that week, I couldn't keep up with it. I missed my brown rice, sweet potatoes and fruits.

So has anybody had success with high carb low fat lifestyle long term?

Replies

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    What does "High carb" mean to you?

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, my diet was pretty high carb. The macros at that time on this site were 55% Carbs, 15% (or maybe 20%) fat. I often exceeded even that amount of carbs. The lowfat thing didn't and doesn't work for me.

I am now higher protein (by choice) and lower carb, but still moderate. I have my macros set at the default 50C/30F/20P but I'm usually over on protein, always over by quite a bit on fat, and under on my carbs.

I think we each have to play around with the macros to find what we like and what works. The higher carb turned out to not really work that well for me, because the more carbs I eat the more of them I want and they don't really keep me full for very long.

As far as weight loss? It doesn't matter at all - it's all about calories.
  • okohjacinda
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What does "High carb" mean to you?

Eating mostly complex carbs... starchy veggies like corn and lima beans, potatoes whole grain bread and pasta, brown rice. Then some simple carbs like fruits and the occasional fiber bars, occasional ice cream (paricularly halo top which is carb friendly anyways).
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Those sound like reasonable and smart choices.
    ;)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My husband does HFLC and lost a lot of weight. It works well for him.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I hear about low carb all the time now but I never really see high carb low fat lifestyle on here and on other sites anymore. I can't seem to limit my carb content. I tried for a week one time and although I lost 10lbs in that week, I couldn't keep up with it. I missed my brown rice, sweet potatoes and fruits.

There are people with medical issues that need to eat lower fat (gallbladder)....so yes, it can work. I prefer carbs to fat, but I do find fat gives foods more staying power (for me). Dietary fat helps your body absorb many vitamins so be careful not to go too low.
  • okohjacinda
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

There are people with medical issues that need to eat lower fat (gallbladder)....so yes, it can work. I prefer carbs to fat, but I do find fat gives foods more staying power (for me). Dietary fat helps your body absorb many vitamins so be careful not to go too low.

I have hypertension, acid reflux and a history of heart disease and high cholesterol in my family so low carb high fat has become very hard to do since I have been diagnosed a month ago and plus I feel more satisfied eating whole grains with spinach and other veggies than a steak and non starchy vegs.

To get in my fats I mostly do it through lean meats, nuts, extra virgin olive oil, and occasionally an avocado (but its not really my thing).

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you dont have to do low fat unless you have a health issues,you dont have to do LCHF either but try to get enough fats..fat doesnt make you fat I have to watch my fat intake due to a health issue and yeah I lost weight but its because I was in a calorie deficit.it had nothing to do with the fat
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't think macros matter that much. However, hclf is pretty popular in the plant-based community (mcdougall, 80-10-10, etc) -- they're all pretty similar whole food plant-based diets. I personally like a bit more fat and protein, though.
  • philbryant
    philbryant Posts: 1 Member
    Options

It has worked for me! I'm 5'11" currently 175# & 14% body fat (down from 220# & 30% fat in 2005)
  • matt151200
    matt151200 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit that's all you need high carb low carb doesn't matter
  • HoustonStrongMT
    HoustonStrongMT Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried this when I did WW but it didn't work for me so I wanted to give you another alternative to consider. I agree about calories in calories out. You can certainly lose weight that way if you have a calorie deficit and I did. What I found though was that my carbs/low fat food tended to be more processed food that just left me starving all the time. I switched over to a more paleo diet a year ago and found that I am on same number of calories and losing but not starving/hungry all the time. I basically eat meat, fruits, veggies and nuts and avoid processed food and grains. I try to eat more whole food. I still eat starchy veggies (potatoes) and I don't worry about the carbs or macros on here. I'm typically about 1/3 on each carbs, protein and fats. This works for me. As a word of caution, I screwed up when I started on paleo thinking I wouldn't have to log food. Not so - once I started logging I was losing again.
  • okohjacinda
    Options
    I tried this when I did WW but it didn't work for me so I wanted to give you another alternative to consider. I agree about calories in calories out. You can certainly lose weight that way if you have a calorie deficit and I did. What I found though was that my carbs/low fat food tended to be more processed food that just left me starving all the time. I switched over to a more paleo diet a year ago and found that I am on same number of calories and losing but not starving/hungry all the time. I basically eat meat, fruits, veggies and nuts and avoid processed food and grains. I try to eat more whole food. I still eat starchy veggies (potatoes) and I don't worry about the carbs or macros on here. I'm typically about 1/3 on each carbs, protein and fats. This works for me. As a word of caution, I screwed up when I started on paleo thinking I wouldn't have to log food. Not so - once I started logging I was losing again.

I want to do paleo so bad but I like eating brown rice and cheese and eggs (sometimes).

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!