Running app question

Options
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there's an app (iphone) that lets you (I guess) race a ghost version of yourself?
I know I can compare my times etc after for each split but it would be nice to compare as I go to see if I'm ahead of myself and improving. Not sure if any such thing exists.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How would you use this app? I can't imaging holding a phone in my hand the whole time I'm running. I start the music and timer, put it in my Running Buddy pouch, and there it stays til I'm done.
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How would you use this app? I can't imaging holding a phone in my hand the whole time I'm running. I start the music and timer, put it in my Running Buddy pouch, and there it stays til I'm done.

That's what I do at the moment, start my app, put it in my pouch and run.
    It would be nice to have something with would say if I'm quicker/slower as I go (say out loud! I can't be holding my phone/faffing about putting it in and out of the pouch). I'm come across some apps that let you virtually compete against other people but nothing for yourself.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Runtastic Pro has a ghost option. I carry my phone in my hand but it will give audio feedback if you're failing behind or if you're ahead.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's actually called "Challenge an Activity".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if there's an app (iphone) that lets you (I guess) race a ghost version of yourself?
    I know I can compare my times etc after for each split but it would be nice to compare as I go to see if I'm ahead of myself and improving. Not sure if any such thing exists.

Training runs shouldn't be competitive. unless you're doing speed work you want nice easy miles
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Training runs shouldn't be competitive. unless you're doing speed work you want nice easy miles

Yeah, but it's really easy to program an app to say, "You ran faster and that's good!" It's a lot harder to program an app to say, "You might have run a little faster than you should for your current level of fitness and how beat up you are. Consider backing off a bit on the next run." And if the programming is hard, the marketing is impossible.
  • thegeordielass
    Options
    Runtastic Pro has a ghost option. I carry my phone in my hand but it will give audio feedback if you're failing behind or if you're ahead.

Brilliant! I'll look into that. Thank you.
  • thegeordielass
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's really easy to program an app to say, "You ran faster and that's good!" It's a lot harder to program an app to say, "You might have run a little faster than you should for your current level of fitness and how beat up you are. Consider backing off a bit on the next run." And if the programming is hard, the marketing is impossible.

I'm just starting to learn to run and I find it motivating to realise that I've run even 10 seconds faster or at least kept the same pace.

It isn't something I'd do every run but if I do the same route 2 weeks later it would be nice to see as I'm going how much I've improved/motivation to keep trying harder.

I'm very much a perfectionist to a very obsessive level (something I'm working on with my therapist!) and if I realise I've been 30 sec/km slower or something I'll mentally beat myself very badly, especially if I think I could have given more and thought I was ahead. I wouldn't expect to be faster each "normal"/training run (I wish...) but if I've done a few more weeks training (I'm in a beginners running club) it would be nice to do the same route and find out as I go how much faster I am/push myself to be that bit faster. I guess mini races against myself as opposed to just training. Others may find it unhelpful, I think I'd find it helpful. Different things for different folks.