What do you recommend for treadmill??

Options
I'll be brief.
Goal - just too loose fat and inches around thigh, waist and knees
What I'm doing - treadmill daily, 3 miles of walking (some running but not much) at 5 incline 3 speed, 6 when running. Also using hand weights while on there for my arms and breaks every 15 for 20 push-ups.
Extra - the room I'm going this is currently 84 degrees so I am sweating the entire time lol.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't think that you can effectively target weight loss per areas. Are you also counting your calories along with your exercise program? I am no exercise expert, but I was kind of doing the same thing that you are doing in the past, and it didn't work for me. I consistently started to lose weight once I started to do the C25K program because that allowed me to follow a specific program and challenge myself harder every week. If you don't like to run, though, walking should be fine, and just for the record I don't think that room temperature has any effect on weight loss because you are mostly losing water weight. A couple times I lost around 3 pounds when I ran for 40 minutes in the treadmill, but I gained that back easily.
  • Neenah70
    Neenah70 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lost over 70lbs mostly walking on the treadmill due to medical issues, and u never run on incline on the treadmill or you can injure yourself. You need to take it easy with the weights and heat. You can get an effective work out without all that. Make sure you are eating a lowfat diet and drinking plenty of water. Stretch prior to and after you walk. I started off slowly around 15-30 min and now I can walk 11/2- 2hr. Slowly increasing your speed and incline.
    Good luck
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat. You just can't. The body doesn't work that way. If it did, I would still have a C cup.
    Fat loss I do that had the biggest impact: Cardio + weight lifting.
    I used to hit cardio hard 6 days a week for an hour at a time with minimal results. Once I incorporated weight, the fat just started to melt off!!! I am literally doing less than half the cardio I used to do and am losing fat faster than ever. The only think with weights is for it to work you have to push yourself, you have to go "heavy" - which is relative to your strength...basically you have to end your sets with a weight that there's a chance you won't finish 5 reps. Don't worry about getting "bulky", that's a myth. In order to build muscle like a man you need to do two things: 1. Lift like a man 2. Have the testosterone of a man. That second one makes it biologically impossible (without the use of steroids or testosterone injections).
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Eat less & move more. You can't choose where the fat cells will shrink, unfortunately. Be patient & persistent!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You can gradually lengthen your jogging times while decreasing the walking. Or increase the incline while walking for a higher calorie burn. Mix it up so you don't get bored.
  • samarhefka2551
    samarhefka2551 Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    To all commenting about spot reducing, I know you can't. I was trying to be brief but maybe I shouldn't have. Those are just the areas my body tends to store fat. I keep measurements and those are the only parts that got bigger over the years. I have measurements from the last 4 years. So to be clear, I know you can't spot reduce and I'm not trying to I'm just trying to put a little extra focus on the areas my body tends to store fat.
    The temp of the room is out of my control. Can't turn the air on any more without spending hundreds. I have a fan on and small cold wet towels. I live in the desert, it's like 110 outside and my house is expensive to cool completely and my treadmill happens to be upstairs where it's warmest.
    I do pretty well at keeping a calorie deficit and drink tons of water (have invisalign so it's all I can have for 21 hours a day).
    Dr says the incline is better for my knees so I trust god advice on that one.
    I do appreciate all the other comments and will put them to use. I'll look into getting some heavier weights. Trying to strengthen my arms a bit, I always feel weak trying to lift things lol. I have strong legs but like no upper body strength! Thank you all for responding.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you want stronger arms then spend dedicated time doing proper strength training. Not arm weights while on the treadmill.
    When you are doing cardio - do cardio to the best of your ability.
    When you are doing strength training, focus on it for optimum results.

BTW - your arms are connected to the rest of your body (I hope!), compound lifts are far more effective at building functional strength. Far more time efficient too.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It sounds fine to me. Just keep at it, watch your eating, and there you go!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Try doing HIIT training every few days. Run on the fastest speed you can for a minute, then walk it out for a minute after. Do it for 15-30 minutes.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkapitoJ6vg or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_9c1GNJCLk or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdfq0_suwhk I am finding a lot of these videos from the Gymbox to be helpful...and free.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I set my laptop on it and watched a show while I walked. 50 minutes later, show was over and I had walked 3 miles!