Inexpensive clean eating recipes

Options
Ayla_Rae
Ayla_Rae Posts: 1 Member
I really want to start eating healthier, not so much I need to lose weight but just to give more to my body and healthier eating habits in general! Any recipes that have worked for you? Inexpensive and simple recipes would be great! I'm usually on the go!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What does "healthy" mean to you? Most of my meals are based around a protein, vegies, and fats. I try to add vegies to most things (including pancakes) because they add volume with very few calories and add more nutrients.
  • gidjinswife
    gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just did a giant quiche. Shredded sweet potatoes mixed with some avocado oil and salt squished into a baking dish and cooked at 400 until crisp (about 20 min), I then added shredded zucchini and sliced mushrooms and then covered it with beaten eggs and threw it back in the oven. You could use any veggies. Even using pasture raised eggs I think my giant dish full was less than $10 and would feed 8-12. It could easily cost half that with regular eggs. I plan on eating it through the week. Protein, fat and carbs all together and lots of nutrients.
  • chumpss420
    chumpss420 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal goes a long way for cheap. Lots of ways to incorporate it into dishes and recipes
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to shop at budget supermarkets like aldi. I find their super six fruit and veg a really great way to eat fresh fruit veg at low prices and they mix it up every week or so so you variety as well.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I find that dry goods go really far. Buy up bags of beans, rice, barley, etc. Also keep in mind that economical is not just a function of the price you pay at the register. It's also in waste avoidance - so frozen veggies and dry goods can help out there too. Eggs are an excellent source of cheap protein. I try to replace a few dinners per week with egg meals to save $$$
  • hannahnew625
    hannahnew625 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal
    1-2 servings of oats
    1/4-1/2 a cauliflower
    1-1/2 TBSP of Coconut sugar/Agave Syrup/Honey/Stevia
    (Optional) Cacao Powder (for a choclatey flavor)

"Spaghetti"
    Spaghetti Squash (Baked for 45 min-60 min on a med-high heat in oven)

Option A
    Organic Spaghetti Sauce
    Tofu or Chicken/Turkey Sausage (depending on if you are vegetarian or not)
    MIX it together and you have a healthy easy delicious meal)

Option B
    1/2 TBSP of Tahini
    1 TBSP of Red Pepper Organic Hummus
    1/4-1/2 Cup of Ripple (Vegan Pea Protein Milk) or a low fat milk if you are not Vegan
    Salt, Pepper, and any other seasoning of choice

Mix that with Spaghetti Squash and you have a "semi-Cheesy" Alfredo Pasta (:

Bean and rice are always cheap and easy! Good source of protein and carbs (:

"(Lentil) Burger"
    1 Cup Lentils (Boiled) 2:1 Ratio of water
    1-2 very small potatoes
    Red Pepper hummus
    Salt and Pepper

Blend in a blender/Bullet

Form into balls

Place it on a pan

No oil needed

It will turn into delicious burgers!

You could always have a salad.
    Your choice of greens and vegetables
    Add hummus because it is a mixture of protein and carbs and its delicious!
    Add fruit! Mango, peaches, strawberries, etc!
    Add a cooked vegetable. Edamame is high in protein. Or just add peas and corn for extra flavor and texture.
    Add Seeds or nuts for healthy fats and a nice crunch. Sunflower seeds are my favorite. Or Pecans. But beware, pecans have a lot of calories, but they are great if you have a hard time reaching your fats.
    You can add beans. Kidney beans or Garbanzo beans are my favorite on a salad.

Bake any vegetable, add salt and pepper and it taste great!
    Beets and Bell peppers taste great when baked. Their sugars in the vegetables really shine.

Any types of squash are great!
    Acorn
    Butternut
    Etc..

Sweet potatoes or any kinds of potatoes are great because they are rated over 300% on satiation levels making them the top foods to make you feel full. That might save you money in the long run, because you won't need to eat as much.

Also, look into Hilary's products
    She has Hilary's Breakfast sausage (BEST FOOD ON THE PLANET)
    Hilary's Vegan Burgers
    Hilary's Brocoli Caserole Bites
    and More!
    No meat and all natural healthy ingredients!

Find deals on healthy Protein Powders! I found Food For Life Raw Vegas unsweetened protein powder, Buy 1 Get 1 Free deal.

Even if you are not vegan, you should try organic tempeh. It may be hard to get used to at first, but if you add the right stuff it taste great!

Tempeh
    2 tsp of agave syrup
    Onion
    2-3 TBSP of Balsamic Vinegar
    Salt
    Pepper
    Other seasonings
    (optional but well worth it) There is this Organic Teriyaki sauce that has super amazing ingredients..forgot the name,but find a healthy one)
    Put those ingredients in a pan and it taste like an asian chicken dish!

Make Cauliflower Mashed potatoes
    Steam Cauliflower
    Put some in a blender (add a little water, seasonings, and HUMMUS!)
    Other half mash with a fork.
    (That way it won't turn out like soup)

Artichokes are great to have. The heart is my favorite!

Brown Organic Rice Cakes--Add Hummus or Avocado or Nut Butter

I think that is enough for now, lol