Where am I going wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jennyf55 wrote: »
    Try intermittent fasting. I think that's that way to go. I think you're eating to often for one. You're body doesn't need to be feed that often. Look into fasting for a while. It works.

meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss. eating often means squat for weight loss.

Meal timing actually does. It takes the body 6 1/2 hrs after eatijng to start burning fat. That's why people fast. To help burn fat. Before that hrs ur body is in fat storage mode.so IF helps a ton to lean out and drop body fat wich u would lose weight

bull,Ive lost weight fasting and not fasting. as long as I was in a deficit I lost weight.and most fat is burned at rest.and your body is not in fat storage mode when in a deficit.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    So is 1500 calories too much or too little for me?

For any of us, if our net of "any number" for 7 months has produced maintenance of the same undesired higher than our ideal weight, then that "any number" is our maintenance calorie level. If you want to lose weight, you're going to have to net fewer calories.
  • peytonplanning
    peytonplanning Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @JeromeBarry1 You may have misunderstood me; I've been at 1500 for 7 weeks, not 7 months. I did try decreasing to 1300 and ended up plateau-ing after 2 weeks. Perhaps it was too low?

Different calculators are suggesting different calorie intake amounts based on my activity level and it is confusing. Is there an actual test I could take to find out a more accurate TDEE or metabolic rate?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 Yes, I use a food scale. I measure, weigh, and track everything I eat and count all calories. If there is one thing I am sure of, I know exactly how many calories I eat. And I only drink water.

Not measure, only weigh. For at least two weeks, put every solid and semi-solids on the scale. Whole food, packaged food, condiments, nut butters, single serving bars, everything. Double check the entries you are using, even if you scan something. Don't use generic or recipe style entries that you didn't create.

If you're willing to open your diary, we might be able to help more. Otherwise, all anyone can really say is generally- if you aren't losing weight, you need to eat less. 95% of the time it's logging issues. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck!
  • Tapout112009
    Tapout112009 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try intermittent fasting. I think that's that way to go. I think you're eating to often for one. You're body doesn't need to be feed that often. Look into fasting for a while. It works.

meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss. eating often means squat for weight loss.

Meal timing actually does. It takes the body 6 1/2 hrs after eatijng to start burning fat. That's why people fast. To help burn fat. Before that hrs ur body is in fat storage mode.so IF helps a ton to lean out and drop body fat wich u would lose weight

bull,Ive lost weight fasting and not fasting. as long as I was in a deficit I lost weight.and most fat is burned at rest.and your body is not in fat storage mode when in a deficit.

U r right about the deficit. U need to be in a deficit. I guess I figured that was understood alteady.lol but most fat is burned in a fasted state. Especially if uh workout towards the end of ur fast. Resting does do it but fasted exercise will burn more than u think
  • Tapout112009
    Tapout112009 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

You can eat your calories over a 6-8 hour window or over 24 hours and it won't change your weight loss. The only time it stores fat is if you consume more than you burn.

Like I said. I guess people understood that u have to been in a caloric deficit when u fast to lose weight. I was trying to tell her to maybe try and fast to see if u can get off your plateau is simply it. I lost alot more weight fasting in a deficit than just at a deficit. I would workout at the end of my fast. After you eat the food passes thru your stomach and small intestine about 6-8 hours. If ur at a deficit it will burn fast but it still stays for 6-8 hours. Need to understand the human body more before things are said
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 MFP says I should eat 1320 calories a day, which is drastically different from the 2400 that I got from FatSecret.com. 1320 seems to little to me...

That's about what I eat! Plus a portion of my exercise calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    So is 1500 calories too much or too little for me?

If you are not losing weight it is too much.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

You can eat your calories over a 6-8 hour window or over 24 hours and it won't change your weight loss. The only time it stores fat is if you consume more than you burn.

Like I said. I guess people understood that u have to been in a caloric deficit when u fast to lose weight. I was trying to tell her to maybe try and fast to see if u can get off your plateau is simply it. I lost alot more weight fasting in a deficit than just at a deficit. I would workout at the end of my fast. After you eat the food passes thru your stomach and small intestine about 6-8 hours. If ur at a deficit it will burn fast but it still stays for 6-8 hours. Need to understand the human body more before things are said

can you provide a link backing up the claim that you burn more fat in a fasted state than when not in one? because I didnt lose any faster in a fasted stated compared to a non fasted state.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    @JeromeBarry1 You may have misunderstood me; I've been at 1500 for 7 weeks, not 7 months. I did try decreasing to 1300 and ended up plateau-ing after 2 weeks. Perhaps it was too low?

Different calculators are suggesting different calorie intake amounts based on my activity level and it is confusing. Is there an actual test I could take to find out a more accurate TDEE or metabolic rate?

2 weeks is not a plateau- a plateau is 6-8 weeks of no weight lost. 2 weeks of lowering you calories may not be long enough to see a loss either as you could have been retaining water for many reasons. give it a couple months at 1300 and see what happens. of course make sure you are weighing EVERYTHING(measure only liquids) and pick correct entries(a lot of them are incorrect).Then if you arent losing then see a dr to rule out any health issues.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    You have not hit you "ideal weight", you've just hit your body plateu based on your workouts. It's time to ramp things up a bit. Increase weightlifting to 4-5 times a week and you should start seeing results again fairly quickly. Bad news: you're going to have to revamp your workouts
    Good news: you have advanced to a higher level of working out.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    You have not hit you "ideal weight", you've just hit your body plateu based on your workouts. It's time to ramp things up a bit. Increase weightlifting to 4-5 times a week and you should start seeing results again fairly quickly. Bad news: you're going to have to revamp your workouts
    Good news: you have advanced to a higher level of working out.

You can't be lifting very heavy or with much intensity if you can do it 4-5 times a week, though, right? I could be wrong - I'm no expert - but that wouldn't work for me, personally. I lift 2-3 times a week, and have for years, and if I doubled the days, it would be counter-productive and would hurt my progress. In order to do it with such frequency, I'd definitely have to lower the intensity quite a bit, and that would be like the opposite of my goals. Plus, rest days are important for recovery...

When it's time for me to ramp it up, I simply increase weight in my lifts, not increase the number of days I lift. If she hits another plateau after that, does it mean she should start lifting 7 days a week? (I also run long distance. If I want to increase my endurance, I simply run longer on my scheduled run days - I don't just keep adding extra run days to my schedule. There are only so many days in the week and over-training is a bad idea...)

Again, I'm no expert. Maybe that's normal for others to lift that frequently. I guess it depends on the program? But I still don't think additional weight training sessions (or technically, any weight training sessions at all) are necessary to break a plateau.

I don't think it's the workouts that are the problem. I think it's the total calorie balance - CICO - that is at issue here. She could increase calorie burn or decrease calorie intake. Either one of those, or a combination, should work.