Opinions on 1,300 calories of junk food vs healthy food!

Options
What's everyone's opinion here? I'm curious. A lot of people think quality doesn't matter as long as you create a deficit in your diet, others thing it really does matter. Tell me what you think!

Replies

• kodachrome64
    kodachrome64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be all 'junk' or all 'healthy'? Who eats like that in real life?!

I think what he is asking is in terms of weight loss are caories the only thing that matters
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. A unit of measurement is uniform.

Do nutrition and food choices matter for health and adherence? Obviously.

Ignoring the silly one or the other strawman of all "junk" (vague) or all "healthy foods" (also vague) - the entirety of your overall diet matters, individual components need to be put in context of that overall diet.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Calorie per calorie all foods are equal for weight loss. The problem with "junk" food is that people are more likely to overeat.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I have never seen someone claim quality doesnt matter. Its usually moderation.
    Why do we have to go from one e tremw to the other?
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. A unit of measurement is uniform.

Do nutrition and food choices matter for health and adherence? Obviously.

Ignoring the silly one or the other strawman of all "junk" (vague) or all "healthy foods" (also vague) - the entirety of your overall diet matters, individual components need to be put in context of that overall diet.

This.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Calorie per calorie all foods are equal for weight loss. The problem with "junk" food is that people are more likely to overeat.

Speak for yourself.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be all 'junk' or all 'healthy'? Who eats like that in real life?!

I always wonder this, too. Why does 'eat what you want' always have to equate to someone eating twinkies, beer, and chips all day? I guess eating a salad and a twinkie in the same day is forbidden!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For weight loss- doesn't matter if the 1,300 calories are from butter on cardboard or kale.
    For health and satisfaction- if you eat 1,300 calories of low nutrition food daily you are probably going to see negative health effects as well as having trouble sticking to that 1,300 calories for long.
    If your goal is improved health you will want to eat more nutrient dense foods. Eating only one kind of food is not very sustainable or healthy long term.
    Kale is a nutritious food. Eating only kale though is not a sustainable plan that meets all of your nutritional needs so it would be a poor diet.
    Best diet plan is have a reasonable calorie deficit, get enough protein, fats and fiber as well as other nutrients from a variety of foods you enjoy over the course of the day/week. Keep low nutrient food portions as a smaller part of your diet if your calorie goal is not huge.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is a trap... :neutral:

It would be great if OP could clarify the question - matters for what?
  • Jeffagner2
    Jeffagner2 Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Using the word "junk" adds a moral judgement that may not be helpful. The common belief is that foods that convert quickly into blood sugar should be avoided except right after you exercise (to recover muscle energy storage that's been lost). At any other time, it is helpful to consume foods that make you feel full, emotionally satisfied and keep your blood sugar levels as constant as possible. It seems to work for me.
    http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/sugar-what-kinds-eat-and-when