Runners- music or podcast

Which do you like. Best music or podcasts for running?

Replies

• Waddellfitness
    Waddellfitness Posts: 46 Member
    Sounds good I might try that
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Most of the time I run with friends so nothing. But when I do run alone (or when I race) it is always music. I tend to zone out and listing to podcasts or books would be pointless.

Just before posting this I spent 20 minutes working on my playlist for tomorrow's long run (since I know my pace won't jive with everyone else and I'll be alone much of the time).
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Podcasts all the way. Or audio books.
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    I've been doing podcasts lately and I'm really enjoying it! I think they distract me a little more and my runs seem to go by faster.
  • Waddellfitness
    Tabbycat00 wrote: »
    Podcasts all the way. Or audio books.
    kimtober wrote: »
    I've been doing podcasts lately and I'm really enjoying it! I think they distract me a little more and my runs seem to go by faster.

Is there any specific "running" podcast you ladies listen too? I've tried to find a good podcast but I'm new to the podcast scene so not sure what's good and what's not.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    When I'm trail running I don't listen to anything except the sounds of nature. I don't think it's safe to run outdoors without full attention to your surroundings. When I'm running indoors on treadmill (which inherently sucks) I need music to keep me from going insane with boredom. It has to be music so I can zone in and out. If it's something I need to pay attention to that probably won't work for me - but I admit I haven't tried a podcast.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Neither for me. Never run with music, mainly for safety so I don't need to now.
  • Waddellfitness

Neither for me. Never run with music, mainly for safety so I don't need to now.

Here in Japan you don't need to worry so much about getting hit. At least where I'm at in the countryside, kids even walk to school from the first grade up here. Also the trails I mainly run cars are not allowed on it's just for bicycles and walkers/runners so safety is not an issue here. I've tried running without anything but I don't like it so much.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Music for sure! I get bored easily so change it up regularly. I use earphones that aren't noise cancelling, so when running in the park I can still hear things, mostly. If I didn't have music on the dreadmill I think I would actually drop dead from boredom!
  • Waddellfitness
    Music for sure! I get bored easily so change it up regularly. I use earphones that aren't noise cancelling, so when running in the park I can still hear things, mostly. If I didn't have music on the dreadmill I think I would actually drop dead from boredom!

There's not even a gym near me so I don't have to worry about running on a dreadmill lol and I have the Powerbeats 3 I just don't turn them up loud so I can hear ok, I just don't run on busy streets
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    It's winter here in Sydney, so some mornings I just can't face the cold air, hence the dreadmill. Also, like you I try to avoid areas where I have to run across streets or high traffic areas, mostly just hit the big parks in my area. I haven't tried a podcast, maybe worth a go!
  • Waddellfitness
    I been thinking about trying out podcasts maybe I will zone out to it like watching a movie and forget I'm running and before I know it I'll be 10 miles out before turning back lol
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    I do a sort of combo of both. I use music and then have story sections that are speaking audio (Zombies, Run). Straight running though I prefer music. I've tried running to get sessions and it doesn't work super well, though with cr being pushed to a podcast more, I might give it a go.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I love sigma health nutrition podcasts and spotify workout playlists.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I been thinking about trying out podcasts maybe I will zone out to it like watching a movie and forget I'm running and before I know it I'll be 10 miles out before turning back lol

This is exactly what happens to me lol. If you like crime shows listen to american life "Serial" podcast, it was really good.
  • Waddellfitness

This is exactly what happens to me lol. If you like crime shows listen to american life "Serial" podcast, it was really good.

Thanks I will definitely check it out and yeah dexter was one of my favorite tv shows back in the day
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Upbeat music for me all the way.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Neither. I prefer to hear what is around me, birds as well as traffic
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    podcast or audiobooks but I can switch to my music playlist anytime the running gets tough and I need a bit more motivation. I've found that music lets me pace off the beat and I generally turn in a better run time than with a podcast playing.