Help nightshift worker.

Options
I work 3-4 nights and need help to work what is best to eat,
And is a meal okay, or lots of little snack throughout the night?
Obviously on those days I don't eat in the day.
Any help is great. And if you wanna friend me that would be cool too.

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat when you feel hungry and need the energy to do your work. Be sure to drink lots of water.

It is not accurate to say that your metabolism shuts down at night and you will gain weight if you eat between midnight and 6:00 a.m.

"Our metabolism is a complex process. You might think that your metabolism slows down drastically at the end of the day and, therefore, your body does not burn off the calories you consume at night. But in fact, even though your metabolism is slower at night when you are stationary than when you are active, your metabolism never stops working, even when you are sleeping. Calories consumed at night won’t change your metabolism or count more than calories consumed during the day." https://uamshealth.com/healthlibrary2/medicalmyths/latenighteating/

Most of the recommendations to stop eating 3 or 4 hours before bedtime relate to improved digestion. Also, some find it helpful to stop eating around 7:00 p.m. so they don't mindlessly snack on ice cream and chips while watching TV. The key to weight loss is not timing, but eating fewer calories than you burn.

• RhiAndy11
    RhiAndy11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    https://www.superwellness.co.uk/staying-healthy-on-night-shift/

This is pretty much the info passed on to us nurses from the doctors
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    maochij77 wrote: »
    I work 3-4 nights and need help to work what is best to eat,
    And is a meal okay, or lots of little snack throughout the night?
    Obviously on those days I don't eat in the day.
    Any help is great. And if you wanna friend me that would be cool too.

Eat your calories at whatever times work for you -- the weight loss will be the same. :mrgreen:

Some people like small meals and snacks throughout their "day."
    Some like small meals and little snacks.

• kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    RhiAndy11 wrote: »
    you probably know this but just incase....your metabolism shuts down between 12 and 6 (the science says so) so eating during this time will cause weight gain.
    good luck x

Thanks, I needed a good laugh
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options

you probably know this but just incase....your metabolism shuts down between 12 and 6 (the science says so) so eating during this time will cause weight gain.
    good luck x

More likely it would cause rigor mortis since you'd most likely be dead if your metabolism shut down. :)

• jlburns2005
    jlburns2005 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I count from when I wake up to when I sleep. I preplan my calories and pack my food. I work 7p-7a I usually have breakfast before work then lunch around 11 and dinner at around 4. And I pack a few little snacks in case I get hungry in between.
  • Wepz
    Wepz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Set your MFP to a time zone which fits your pattern.
  • melissajkxoxo
    melissajkxoxo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    On a night shift right now. I still follow midnight to midnight on MFP. I usually don't like anything large over night. Usually just easy snacks like yogurt, fruit, toast etc. Usually eat about 300 calls during my shift and usually want something when I go home before I sleep because usually I'm starving. But honestly do what seems to work for you. I manage to stay with my cal goal even though eating times are all over the place.
  • RhiAndy11
    Options
    ok guys. poor choice of words lol. no need to mean about it. metabolism 'slows down' maybe?!
    its in the article i posted and the consultants where i work follow this mindset so il stick with what they advise!
  • NR81206
    NR81206 Posts: 54 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I work night shift. 7pm-7am. I usually wake up around 3pm. I eat a snack when I wake up, I eat what I call my breakfast (usually it's dinner with my family ) around 5:30pm, Then I eat what i call my lunch at 10pm. Then I eat a snack between 12-1am, then I only drink water after that. So technically I only eat 2 meals and 2 snacks. So I try and make sure my calories for each meals are at least 500 and my snacks are at least 150-200 each. My daily calorie intake is 1380... Luckily my family is on this health kick with me so we only have healthy food in the house for me to eat. On my days off, I eat like a normal person, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. and Just divided my calories per each meal and any remaining or extra cause i worked out goes to a snack.

This is my normal eating schedule before trying to lose weight (night shift 2 years now), so i'm use to this eating schedule, I just switched Crappy food/fast food with real food/home made meals, Oh and knocked my calories down by like 1000 calories lol by not eating fast food .. and it has worked in favor for me...
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    good luck x

Huh. I must be a special snowflake because I lost over 60 pounds working the night shift. And in my late 40s (at the time) to boot.

Busting all kinds of myths.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ok guys. poor choice of words lol. no need to mean about it. metabolism 'slows down' maybe?!
    its in the article i posted and the consultants where i work follow this mindset so il stick with what they advise!

So when you get your 'lunch break' in the middle of the night what do you do? Just sit there playing candy crush or do you have something to eat because its been hours and hours since you last ate and you need to the energy to continue to the end of your shift?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Wepz wrote: »
    Set your MFP to a time zone which fits your pattern.

Exactly.

Choose a time zone that corresponds to the hours you are awake and asleep. Here's a time zone map:

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

MFP also lets you change your meal names to whatever suits the meals and snacks you choose to eat.

Your body burns energy day and night. People don't suddenly gain wait solely because they cross a time zone and eat after "8pm". It's 8 pm at some place in the world any time of a 24 hour clock.
  • RhiAndy11
    Options

So when you get your 'lunch break' in the middle of the night what do you do? Just sit there playing candy crush or do you have something to eat because its been hours and hours since you last ate and you need to the energy to continue to the end of your shift?[/quote]

i eat around 10pm and then when i get a break i go for a nap! and then i eat around 6am. obviously if i felt TRULY hungry between the hours of 12 and 6 then i would eat a snack but i try to stick the advice the doctors have given us. the ward i work on is pretty lax...we can snack when we like, we dont necessarily need to be on a break. so that helps
  • maochij77
    maochij77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone all your tips are helpful. As I currently am doing similar to you all.
    I have breakfast then a light snack type lunch before going to bed and when I get up about 5pm only having fruit and a cup o tea before I head to work later.
    And lately I've been having salads in my breaktime am trying to eat this before midnight to input it in the fitness pal app. After midnight I am trying to have fruit and drinks.

Then eat the three meals as usual with my family on days/nights off.

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I would eat however feels natural or works for you. If you are hungry eat - but be sure to log it like you would during the day. Working nights is tough. I could never lose weight on night shift but my shifts were 12 hours long. I would eat just out of boredom and all I did was sit unless I was caring for a patient. :neutral:
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Change your time zone or rename your meals to 4 hour time blocks.