Always hungry.

Options
2»

Replies

• amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My biggest solution to hunger is enough sleep and delaying my first meal until I am really hungry. If I don't get enough sleep, I find I am much hungrier. I go for a walk before breakfast, which pushes the whole day worth of calories out and makes me less hungry.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You don't mention if you're doing any exercise. If you're running 10 miles a day and not eating back your exercise calories - the. No wonder you're hungry.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I'm losing about a lb per week as a short female eating 1900-2200 calories a day (netting between 1200-1500). Unless you are very short, very inactive, or very near goal you could probably bump up your goal by 250 calories per day.

This isn't a weight loss competition. No harm in slowing things down a bit.
  • womanisadevil
    womanisadevil Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry I exercise.
    Then I can eat the exercise calories and not be sad.

Got cardio and weights in twice each today!
    Extra 500 calories to eat.

Personally, if I don't have 20+ grams of fibre a day and a LOT of water I feel famished.
    Maybe try playing with you macros, see what works best for you. :smile:

On days where I'm hungrier too I find it helps me to save most of my calories till evening and then I can have a HUGE meal and have that overfull feeling that I oh so desire.
    So I'd eat say 250 for a light meal 250 for a light meal and then a nice 1000 calorie meal and be full till noon the next day!

Good luck with it, I hope you find what works for you.

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That would be a solution but obviously cannot work because it goes over the 1500 calorie daily limit. Thus my question and original post.

I had that issue too. I reassessed my activity and what I thought my maintenance threshold will actually be, and changed my calorie limit.

I'm a short, albeit active woman, and 1500 was only sustainable as long as it was by eating back all my exercise calories. I can still lose weight above 1500, so I'm guessing you can too.

Decide what you want. Fast weight loss and daily hunger or slower weight loss and a higher level of contentment.

P.S. Bulk out meals with spinach, lettuce and other leafy vegetables.

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    A little bit of hunger at some point during the day is normal. But it is going to be a balance between what you find tolerable and what you want to achieve. If you are constantly hungry then the solution would be to reassess your weekly weight loss goal, decide whether you can live with a slower loss a week and up your calories. If it is set to 2lbs a week, try 1lb a week and see if that is more manageable. Another option others have suggested is play with your macros some feel fuller on high protein, others on higher fat or fiber. That's for you to figure out really. Other than that there is nothing else to try but admit defeat and I'm sure you don't want to do that.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to limit to 1500 calories? That's the bare minimum for a male.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I thought the point was to use MFP then to stick to it's recommended calories in order to lose weight. It seems going past that alters the rate at which one loses weight, and would be an issue with MFP not users simply changing lose 1 pound per week to lose 0.5 pounds per week.

I am sticking to the recommended % and cals of fat, protein, and carbs, etc. that come up in the dashboard on the app.

To others saying "just stay hungry and live with it", please see my original (the very first) post.

I have cut "junk carbs" out and mostly get any carb related from whole-wheat or quinoa.

I am vegetarian and eat a lot of fruits / veg already. Steak or meat is not an option.

I have tried both Greek and Skyr (Icelandic) yogurts as proteins that supposedly curb hungry. Sorry to say, they do not help (again, please see my original post).

Fasting I believe would not help in this situation.

I am eating 3 smallish meals and 3 snacks the whole day in order to stay within 1500 cals.
    @michaelcfish
    I am not a vegetarian but I used to be.

You could try this for two weeks: :)
    Eat only one fruit a day. For some people fruits are similar to "empty" calories because they do not satisfy them.
    Eat lots of protein and enough fats: tofu, seitan, eggs, chic peas, lentils chia seeds, flax seeds, black beans, buckwheat, soy beans, quinoa, broccoli, kale, swiss chard, peas, green beans, romaine lettuce, green peppers, zucchini, asparagus, edamame, mung bean sprouts. cow milk or soy milk.
    Eat enough oil -- full fat yogurt and salad dressing, some butter, avocados.

• yvoennsche
    yvoennsche Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go read "Always Hungry" by Dr. David Ludwig. He is a MD, PhD nutrition researcher, wrote a book which cites a lot of scientific research, but in a very understandable way. I have been using it for 5 weeks, lost 8 pounds so far, not being hungry at all.