Running shoes

I'm sure there's probably a thread on here somewhere about this but I can't find it. I have a pair of Nike Zoom Speed Rivals 5 and a pair of Under Armour Speedform Fortis and both are getting close to retirement. Looking at some Hokas as I've heard good things about them for road running. I don't run trails here as there isn't any mainly asphalt trails and sidewalks and the 10k here is on the street obviously. Anyone have any input for a good road shoe?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2017
    I use Asics, Saucony and Brooks. BUT - go to a good running shoe store and let them guide you.
  • Waddellfitness
    Waddellfitness Posts: 46 Member
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    I use Adidas, Saucony and Brooks. BUT - go to a good running shoe store and let them guide you.

There's no running store near me here in Japan. Use to be a semi pro runner years ago fastest recorded 5k was 17:46 and 10k was 40:12. That was years ago and now I have had 2 surgeries on my ankle and a bad back thanks to a motorcycle wreck so my running has changed a lot.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    What did you used to use?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Check out the Hoka One One Clatons or Cliftons. They are great for road running. Also, Adidas Pure Boost are good as well.

Most companies will let you try there shoes for 30 days and if you are not happy with them you can send them back for a refund.
  • Waddellfitness
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    What did you used to use?

Saucony and asics but I have tried them and just not the same I need more support now
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    It sounds pretty critical for you to get good shoes. I'd take the journey to go to a store where you can try them on. As you well know, they are always change the design. (Unnecessarily.)
  • Waddellfitness
    It sounds pretty critical for you to get good shoes. I'd take the journey to go to a store where you can try them on. As you well know, they are always change the design. (Unnecessarily.)

Oh yes that's exactly why I went away from asics that I use to wear. We have a sports store here that's where I bought my last 2 pair but the staff are just there for a paycheck and not knowledgeable whatsoever
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'm a new balance girl myself
  • Waddellfitness
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Check out the Hoka One One Clatons or Cliftons. They are great for road running. Also, Adidas Pure Boost are good as well.

Most companies will let you try there shoes for 30 days and if you are not happy with them you can send them back for a refund.

The Hola One is actually what I been looking at. Have you had experience with them? I hear they run about a half size smaller
  • Waddellfitness
    This z8d6m78mxxl3.png
    is what has caused me such a set back in my running from years ago still only have about 50% range of motion
  • JIJames2017
    JIJames2017 Posts: 8 Member
    Asics cumulus have always been my choice - they fit my foot shape well and offer me the support my feet need not to turn over on my ankles. I am lucky though as have small feet so I always buy boys instead of ladies which are cheaper. I did have my feet properly sized when I took up running and I think that's important.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I like saucony and Nike best.

Also, that's some gnarly ankle work you had done!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Gah! Ok, I change my recommendation to an imperitive: make the journey to a store and try the shoes on first. Also, you may want to wear an ankle support.

Liomor Ankle Support Breathable Ankle Brace for Running Basketball Ankle Sprain Men Women - One Size, Black (or similar):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CY3DHC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QzIyzbRRX7YMN
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    bcalvanese wrote: »

The Hola One is actually what I been looking at. Have you had experience with them? I hear they run about a half size smaller

I have both. The Clayton's are my favorite of the two. I take 11 or 11 1/2. The Clayton's I can go with 11, but the Clifton 3's I had to go with 11 1/2.

Do you have an REI near you?

they may have them in stock and you can try them on.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    I have been wearing Asics Gel Venture for a long time and they work perfectly for me for trail runs. They upgraded from the 3 and now they are on the 6. I still have 3 pairs of the 5 though. Hope you get better and your range of motion improve.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited July 2017
    If you know what shoes you have now, maybe look at runningwarehouse.com and see if there's something similar? If you know what type of shoe you need, you can sort by pronation type and look at the brands they suggest.

They have an online gait analysis option too if you're not sure.... http://www.runningwarehouse.com/LearningCenter/gaitanalysis.html

~Lyssa
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Go to roadrunner or runningwarehouse and compare the shoes you have to the alternatives they offer. Do you wear support shoes or neutral shoes? How big is the drop? Do you want an every day shoe, a racing flat, or a shoe for long slow distance? If you are used to minimalist (zero to 5mm drop) shoes, then running in a built up shoe (10+ mm.) is going to affect different parts of your body. You can make the change, but you have to do it gradually or you will get injured.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    my husband loves Hoka Claytons, to the point that he has multiple pairs. Hoka also has a wonderful recovery slide. I don't like the fit of their running shoes, too bulky for me but their slides are amazing! I prefer Saucony Rides.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    I like running shoes with memory foam :) they're like marshmallows on your feet
    but I run on part grass/concrete/dirt
    like this: https://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Womens-Zprint-Running-Shoes/dp/B019O03FLC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1499622953&sr=8-10&keywords=reebok+running+shoes+memory+foam&th=1&psc=1
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I wear Saucony Redeemers, but I have flat feet and circulation issues. They work for me. If you can't get to a running store, perhaps a podiatrist might give you some recommendations? At least, what to look for in a shoe, if not a specific brand?