Healthy Ways to lose Muscle Mass in legs?

Options

Replies

• beamin41
    beamin41 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    beamin41 wrote: »
    jospen83 wrote: »
    I'm curious, what's your body fat % & how much do you squat?

I'm 6'1 210 6%bf

I don't squat.

i'm not trying to be a jerk, but, i don't believe there's any way you're 6% at 210 pounds.

Pictures or it didn't happen?!

i just can't fathom that someone would have this physique on accident and want to get smaller.

I'm not trying to get smaller. I was starting a convo. I'm happy with myself. I work hard.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I'm 6'1 210 6%bf

I don't squat.

i'm not trying to be a jerk, but, i don't believe there's any way you're 6% at 210 pounds.

i just can't fathom that someone would have this physique on accident and want to get smaller.

I'm not trying to get smaller. I was starting a convo. I'm happy with myself. I work hard.

Oh ok so just for clarification we are just talking in general, so not specifically about you
  • beamin41
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I'm 6'1 210 6%bf

I don't squat.

Oh ok so just for clarification we are just talking in general, so not specifically about you

Yes lol. Not me at all.
    I'm killin it. I have been asked this question before and wanted some thoughts/suggestions.

Atrophy was my first thought
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm 6'1 210 6%bf

I don't squat.

Riiiiiiiiiight.... :huh:
  • sardelsa
    Options

I'm 6'1 210 6%bf

I don't squat.

Yes lol. Not me at all.
    I'm killin it. I have been asked this question before and wanted some thoughts/suggestions.

Yea the person would have to not do anything to activate the muscle, even walking or cardio. I mean is that realistic and healthy? I would say no. But I mean, if they were in a deficit and not activating the muscle adequately they have a greater chance of losing it due to not being worked. I say it would really depend on the overall goal.. if the person wanted a more soft less muscular appearance for example.

If it was me, and my quads were getting a little too big, I would cut out the squats and lunges, but keep other lower body stuff to keep the booty.. so more glute dominant like glute bridges, hip thrusts, hip extensions, abductions etc. But clearly my goals would be different.

Out of curiosity, are these mostly females or males asking?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

I'm 6'1 210 6%bf

I don't squat.

Your FFMI is 26.6
    Need to lay off the steroids
  • sardelsa
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'm 6'1 210 6%bf

I don't squat.

Yes lol. Not me at all.

Yea the person would have to not do anything to activate the muscle, even walking or cardio. I mean is that realistic and healthy? I would say no. But I mean, if they were in a deficit and not activating the muscle adequately they have a greater chance of losing it due to not being worked. I say it would really depend on the overall goal.. if the person wanted a more soft less muscular appearance for example.

If it was me, and my quads were getting a little too big, I would cut out the squats and lunges, but keep other lower body stuff to keep the booty.. so more glute dominant like glute bridges, hip thrusts, hip extensions, abductions etc. But clearly my goals would be different.

Out of curiosity, are these mostly females or males asking?

I think it's important to keep this in mind. We are frequently telling people who post on here (especially women), that they won't get more muscular than they want by accident, and even if they did, people have to work to maintain that.

Engaging in hyperbole such that they'd have to make themselves bedridden in order to lose that look may make sense to people who can't imagine not wanting muscle (and I am one of those people) but it certainly has a risk of discouraging others from strength training, plus it isn't true.

Yup! Exactly.

Even take a look at a bikini competitor.. for the most part (obviously there are exceptions), their quads are not huge, but because their bodyfat is low so the quad is more defined and that is a result of very hard consistent work and is not by accident!
    Just an example:
    5qxuvlv95rlv.png
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Going back to the original post & reading it as a general question, I'm still struggling with it. The only people I hear complaining about legs (I'm assuming the thighs...) being "too large due to muscle" are women. It might help if you clarify that point so we're not making assumptions - it does make a difference. If I'm assuming you're referring to women, I'd argue it's not muscle they have a problem with, but is still fat. Lots of women carry more fat on their hips, thighs & buttocks & struggle to lose those last bits. Anecdotally, my thighs are the last place I lose fat. At 5'8" 140# 17% bf, my upper body looks great, while my thighs still have a decent layer of fat covering them.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it doesn't make sense to me. Someone working that hard to build muscle does so with intention.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    This makes me stabby. I carry most of my fat on my thighs. I'd kill for more muscle there.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've always had muscular thighs. I like em cause I can use them for jumping among other things and you get used to loose waists on pants although now all jeans have a bit of stretch my life is way easier

But to answer the question... Don't work them. Sit around all the time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I couldn't wear Levi's in my late teens / early 20's as size 30" waist jeans wouldn't go past my quads (oh to have that problem now of needing to buy 30" waist!)
    So I bought a different brand.

When I took up motorcycle racing and just needed to be light not strong I simply stopped weight training and lost some muscle mass along with fat.

Also being on crutches for 3 months with one leg dangling uselessly was really good for muscle atrophy - looked kinda odd with one big leg and one small one though. 5" difference in quad circumference.

Use 'em or lose them sums it up.
  • beamin41
    Options
    So... this WAS my body comp May 25th I was 217 8.3%bf

You're telling I'm not what I am now? Lol.
    210 6.5% bf??

Y'all crack me up lmao
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options

210 6.5% bf??

Y'all crack me up lmao

Post up a pic of your physique
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

210 6.5% bf??

Y'all crack me up lmao

I think they just want to see pictures and not of a piece of paper.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yes, the inbody is a BIA device, we have one at the gym I train at. I use it to get bodyweigt but it's wildly inaccurate as all BIA devices are.

At around 20% body fat (as done via DEXA) I decided to track my body fat with a handheld (omron) and calipers to compare. My omron was showing as high as 26% at night and as low as %14 in the mornings. Calipers were actually pretty accurate but that's because I've been trained on how to use them properly and take a 7-point skin fold.

inbody_370.jpg.jpg
  • beamin41
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

210 6.5% bf??

Y'all crack me up lmao

I think they just want to see pictures and not of a piece of paper.

I agree lol.

My profile photo is all their getting lmao
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would tell the person to work the muscle less. If progressive resistance builds muscle, regressive resistance should help it to shrink. The person could eat a bit less as well.