Depression

Options

Replies

• jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Its funny when you get into the mindset that you are feeling better on ADs so you stop taking them. But of course, usually, the D returns. I myself keep doing this over and over. If only there were a magic pill that cured.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    jlscherme wrote: »
    Its funny when you get into the mindset that you are feeling better on ADs so you stop taking them. But of course, usually, the D returns. I myself keep doing this over and over. If only there were a magic pill that cured.

That is exactly the mistake that I made that has led to me being where I am now.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I'm no professional by any means but if there's anything I can recommend...

Get The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer on audible.com, that book has changed my life... I would also recommend Practicing Mindfulness and The Book of Joy
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Panda8ach wrote: »
    I have a number of mental health 'issues' and I know this will sound like total hippy crap BUT mindfulness and meditation helps me so much :) Headspace is a cool app to get started with :)

My therapist has encouraged me to do the same but i struggle with consistency and end up feeling bad for not doing it

I totally get that...I did the same :(

I set an alarm on my phone and make time every day...3 weeks to make a habit :)
  • moya_bleh
    Options
    I have a number of mental health 'issues' and I know this will sound like total hippy crap BUT mindfulness and meditation helps me so much :) Headspace is a cool app to get started with :)

My therapist has encouraged me to do the same but i struggle with consistency and end up feeling bad for not doing it

An alarm! Thank you, I have the same problem with finding time to meditate.
  • Panda8ach
    Options
    moya_bleh wrote: »

We all have the time, even if it's 5 minutes :) I just need to remind myself that I do have the time lol
  • moya_bleh
    Options

We all have the time, even if it's 5 minutes :) I just need to remind myself that I do have the time lol

I find mindfulness so difficult as my head is swimming with all kinds of thoughts all the time.
  • crsmith1323
    crsmith1323 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar with anxiety and ADHD. I used to take Lithium, Lexapro, Abilify and Adderall XR. The Adderall conveniently kept my weight down, but it screwed with me too much and didn't help my ADHD enough to be worth it, so I stopped taking it. Pretty sure that was the very beginning of my massive weight gain. My weight had been up and down before, but this time I put on a good 40-50 pounds over about 3 or 4 years before I even got pregnant with my twins! Since having my twins I'm on Lexapro and Depakote, which doesn't work nearly as well as my previous medication cocktail. I just deal with the ADHD as best I can on my own and try to ride through my ups and downs and remind myself how much worse it was with no meds. I've never enjoyed exercise to any extent and it never makes me feel good. I really have to dig deep and find a reason to stick with it. Im pretty sure I have my extreme stubbornness to thank for sticking with it so far lol. So for anyone who struggles, you are not alone and I feel ya!
  • moya_bleh
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    This is a great thread you've started.

The beating up on the internet as a cesspool of trolls is a popular thing. People taking their time, reaching out, willing to share their own often painful experiences, trying to lift a total stranger who's in trouble, that never gets a mention.

To OP. I think you need a new screen name.

Thank you. There are so many threads on here devoted to physical fitness, but I rarely see any regarding mental and emotional wellbeing.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I've read these posts a few times and each time type something out, just to delete it later. Gere goes!

I can totally relate to your problems. I am bi-polar and have been in what I call the 'depressive end' of it for a good few years now (maybe 3-4) having tried a couple different medications in between and not finding much relief for the agonizing lows that I feel. I started losing weight in January, but started re-logging on MFP about February sometime I think it was. I'm down overall 30-33ish lbs since January 2017 which feels great. I really hoped my mood would have 'picked up' and plus exercising too (long walks, bike rides, some lifting) but the BLAHS and crappy feelings are STILL there and just feel worse each day. I keep waiting for my newest med (since Jan.) to 'do something' to 'kick in' but I still feel like chit. Worse, it's bringing out anxiety I didn't necessarily have before so that makes everything feel more intense I suppose. I see my Dr. next week btw, will address the med issues.

Sometimes depression, mental illness, etc. it just feels very lonely. I often find myself feeling like I am walking a long dark hallway reaching out for light switches and I can't find any. I also find it very frustrating. I just say "Be happy! Why can't you be happy?!" I wake up trying to be positive but everything always feels crappy and it's exhausting to feel like chit 24/7. Between my diet (not on a diet, but my 'journey' I guess) and bi-polar/depression I feel like each day, all day, everyday, I am white-knuckling it through. Telling myself "Just get through the day". That is a crappy way to live and I get angry then, especially when I see happy people with great lives and minimal problems and my life/emotions feel so crazy at times. I just want to, for once, feel normal and happy. No stress, no crazy mood swings, no sadness, no lows, no feelings of being gutted by something or someone, just be happy. Like "hey, today was not great but you are so that's good" but no I always go "Today sucks and so do you!". I'm very bad at negative self talk. It's almost easier to just be miserable, at least you know what to expect.

I was in Therapy this time last year but quit going right before January. I've thought about going back. I know it would be helpful, it just takes lots of emotions and work and sometimes that's hard but I realize I don't think I can do all this alone. I will (likely) always need some form of meds, trying to find the right ones that's the kicker!

So I'm totally rambling now, my apologies. Just wanted to say I understand and hope things look up for you here soon. Take care. :)
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    This is a great thread you've started.

The beating up on the internet as a cesspool of trolls is a popular thing. People taking their time, reaching out, willing to share their own often painful experiences, trying to lift a total stranger who's in trouble, that never gets a mention.

To OP. I think you need a new screen name.

Thank you. There are so many threads on here devoted to physical fitness, but I rarely see any regarding mental and emotional wellbeing.

A global multi-billion £/$ 'diet' industry didn't build up and wouldn't survive if they offered a genine solution.... they work on hope...

For me the one big change 'this time' around the fun world of weight yo-yo was that first and foremost i took my mental being / state / challenge as the primary battleground.

Things like Slimming World/Weight Watchers offer a method for CICO or whatever - and yes ... maybe you'll make some friends and feel part of it in the groups .... but you're not addressing the 'why' bit of how you became the way you are... and nor would they ...

Weight, despite being a growing problem (pun not intended), has very little true professional medical support.
    Last 2 times i went to my doctor to discuss weight i was offered:
    1. To come in to see the nurse weekly to 'just get weighed' ... thanks can do that at home and don't need a disinterested person doing it for me
    2. Googled and Printed off sheet of a 'diet' that 'might' help me - disregarding the fundamental issue i had around WHAT i can / can't eat
    3. Saying the only medical help they'd offer if i wanted was a presciption of xenecal - no thanks - i have enough struggles with food and the resulting issues around digestion without making it more complex.
    4. Didn't want to understand/entertain any idea around helping me until i'd tried their solutions (2&3 above)

The counselling offer came when i directly asked for a referral ... then i completed the pre-referal questionaire (about feelings/symptoms) - i got a call almost immediately as they were genuinely concerned i was 'at risk of harm' - that was a wake up

But i feel the therapy is just dancing around issues and isn't really reavling / resolving anything - i don't feel today any more under control or less lost than i did 6 months ago.

It's hard to know what to do when you just feel like you're in a big black maze and you have no idea which path to take and can't see signs of light in any direction.
  • Panda8ach
    Options

I find mindfulness so difficult as my head is swimming with all kinds of thoughts all the time.

Mine is like white noise... So busy. If you can get into though it helps. 5 minutes of peace which is a rare thing :/
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've been taking fluoxetine since it was a new drug in the early 1990s. Also Welbutrin for over a decade. I also do light therapy in the winter and have done lots of talk therapy over the years. Clinical depression runs through my family like breast cancer runs through some others. The traditional family way of dealing with it has been a combination of denial and self-medicating with booze. Tried that in my younger years. It doesn't work.

I have a good friend who refers to me as the happiest depressed person she ever met. She's right in some ways because I work at controlling it and treat the sucker -- and have for 30+ years. It's a chronic disease for some of us. If you have it, you have two choices: work at treating it so you can have the best outcome possible or denial, self-abusive behaviors, and more severe depression.

Choosing treatment is not easy. I fought it for years. Some people are so debilitated by depression they can't get it in hand. It takes going through lots of counselors and a variety of drugs over the years but I would never go back.
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I take Celexa and Wellbutrin, which help. have pretty bad self esteem, adhd, and social anxiety. The exercising is helping me feel a lite better about myself. Stay strong and keep working at it.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Are there any fellow MPFers who suffer from depression on here? I've just been put back on fluoxetine and struggle with low self-esteem. My lifting and fitness routine help greatly in terms of endorphin release etc. but I still have trouble transferring the benefits of a better body to the mind, so to speak.

Just want to say I hope one day you can see yourself as the awesome, amazing, kind, caring friend I know you as.

You all are so brave and awesome. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My family states I have been more even keel since I got off of high carbs in 2014. I just started taking 5mg of a supplement called lithium orotate from Amazon for better cellular longevity but some say it helps with depression, etc without the side effects of the Rx medicine called Lithium. When I cut out sugar and all forms of grains in 2014 in about 30 days my joint and muscle pain dropped like a rock so naturally going from years of pain levels of 7-8 then dropping to 2-3 in the first 30 days helped my state of mind.

Best of success in whatever approach you take to gaining better health. Different things works for different people.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    David Burns, MD, "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" (about $5 on amazon)
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm so grateful for this thread, to see we're not alone. I'm what I think is called "high-functioning depressive" -- I'm on medication to keep me from feeling like I want to cry all the time, and in work/social situations I'm high energy and positive so no-one knows... but every other moment I shut off, completely retreat into myself and use food as my other "medication".

I've had some serious life challenges over the past few years that, combined with my anxiety/depression, have had me turning to food more and more. 3 years ago I left a successful career for what I thought was my dream job... A few days in, I realized my new boss was a malignant narcissist (I don't use that term lightly) who tears down everyone around him in order to build himself up. I've never seen anything like it, it was exhausting... and I gained 30 pounds in those 3 years because because I was constantly depressed, there's only so much the meds can do in a situation like that, and decadent food was my way of treating myself after every awful workday. The moment I switched jobs again, and was with a boss and co-workers who I LOVE now, the weight started to drop... until I discovered that the old company is trying not to pay me the past due wages I'm owed (we're talking tens of thousands of dollars, and I may need to sell my house if they don't pay me). The scale started to go off the charts again.

So here i am on MFP. I need to see if I need to switch up my medication... but in the meantime I need to be eating cleaner foods, and exercising, while the world around me tries to stomp me down.
  • moya_bleh
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Just over a week into taking Fluoxetine, I've noticed that I'm waking up in the night a lot more all of a sudden. Has anybody else experienced this?