Healthy ways to up my calories.

Options
Whatever I try I just don't seem to be eating enough calories. I have 3 meals a day and two snacks and I'm totally full up! But I struggle to eat more than around 1100 calories which obviously isn't enough. I've started adding things like cashews to my diet. Does anyone have any advice or foods I could try?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good. So's avocado. If you're drinking skim milk, go for 2% or even full-fat. Same if you're eating reduced-fat versions of cheese, mayo, etc. Get the regulars.

Dried fruit is pretty high-calorie too.
  • shelly_38
    shelly_38 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Spoonfuls of peanut butter? ❤️
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nuts, seeds, trail mix, whole fat dairy, avocados, olive/coconut oil or butter, fattier cuts of meat (like chicken thigh instead of breast, marbled red meat)
    Open your diary for more specific advice...
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    shelly_38 wrote: »
    Spoonfuls of peanut butter? ❤️

Justin's hazlenut chocolate spread is my spoonful of sin.
  • emmaellery1989
    emmaellery1989 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I want to avoid anything full of sugars so I tend to avoid dried fruit.

My body also hates dairy so I'm a bit stuck there too.
    Wondering whether to just add some more protein?

I have a pretty clean and un processed due to lots of intolerances so I mainly live on meat, fish, veg, nuts and some fruit.

Mainly struggling with my lunches as I eat while I'm working so it's pretty much just salad every day.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Use full-fat salad dressing or oil on your salad, more fatty fish (like salmon), olives, hummus
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Granola, Oatmeal, Bananas, Pears, Corn, Sweet Potatoes, Almonds, Peanuts
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Eat some avocados...cook your veg in good cooking oils/butter, etc...full fat dressing...eat some nuts...nut butters...eat whole eggs if you're just eating whites...basically more dietary fat.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    can you be more specific about your goal? Are you trying to gain weight, maintain? You seem to eat a pretty restricted diet--is there a reason you're avoiding even dried fruit?

anyway some ideas:the following gets you to 1200 or more

b/f: 2 eggs and a slice of avocado toast

lunch: 1 large wrap with 1/3 c hummus and lots of veggies, an apple.

snack: 2 rice cakes with almond butter

dinner: 5 oz salmon, 1 c. couscous and roasted asparagus with olive oil, topped with pine nuts.

• emmaellery1989
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Seems most of the stuff I need to eat I can't have without having awful stomach aches. But I'll look into getting different oils and dressings etc :)
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bananas! Almonds! Avocado in salad!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, olive/coconut oil, whole grain breads, cracker type stuff (I'm eating amazing brown rice, roasted red pepper crackers right now and a tiny serving is over 100 calories), full fat dressings/marinades, granola etc.
  • emmaellery1989
    Options
    I can't have gluten either. I sometimes have gluten free pasta but it's so full of sugar! I also get severe stomach ache from rice :s
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Avocado, one whole one is close to 300 cals. Nut butters 1 tbsp is 100 cals. Super easy to add healthy calories.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I can't have gluten either. I sometimes have gluten free pasta but it's so full of sugar! I also get severe stomach ache from rice :s

Have you tried bean pastas yet? I'm working on getting a lot of beans into my diet right now so I've switched from regular pasta to these and don't mind the taste of them. I use POW! black bean elbow pasta, which only has 1g of sugar per serving/190 calories, and then Banza penne pasta which is made from chickpeas and has 5g of sugar per serving/190 calories. Both are gluten free and I found them in the gluten free section of my grocery store.
  • Tapout112009
    Tapout112009 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I want to avoid anything full of sugars so I tend to avoid dried fruit.

My body also hates dairy so I'm a bit stuck there too.
    Wondering whether to just add some more protein?

I have a pretty clean and un processed due to lots of intolerances so I mainly live on meat, fish, veg, nuts and some fruit.

Mainly struggling with my lunches as I eat while I'm working so it's pretty much just salad every day.

When I struggle on my calories I look at where I'm struggling at w my macros. If ur low on protein, obviously take another protein shake or put 2 scoops in there. If u want more fat brats have alot of fat and protein in there w 1-3 grams of carbs. If it's just fat mix in coconut oil w ur food.that had like 120 calories per tablespoon. And if ur lacking carbs there's a list of things to eat.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I am gaining weight doing the autoimmune protocol (plus eggs as a reintroduction). Grain, nut,seed, dairy free, etc. I am also am low carb at about 100g. Not saying you should do this diet at all, but letting you know it is possible to gain even with restrictions.

Basically eat fattier cuts of meat like 80-85% ground beef, poultry thighs, lamb, seafood like salmon and sardines, offal (can easily be hidden in meatloaf or burgers), avocados, starchier vegetables from winter squashes, rutabagas, and parsnips to higher sweet potatoes and white potatoes. Add a tablespoon or 2 of oil to every dish. With fatty meats, you can save the extra fat to cook other food. If you eat scrambled eggs, mix some mayo and green olives in them. Other cooking fats like tallow and rendered duck are higher in calories than evoo. Full fat coconut milk is a decent higher cal dairy alternative. Those are some things i can think of on the top of my head.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Who adds sugar to pasta? I've just looked up a few gf pastas, none of which had sugar..
    Undereating consistently is not healthy. Make calorie dense salads with roasted starchy vegies cooked in fat, with fattier protein (chicken thighs, salmon, beef, whole eggs etc), with calorie dense dressings (homemade mayo is delicious!)