Healthy ways to up my calories.

Options
2»

Replies

• emmaellery1989
    emmaellery1989 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I am gaining weight doing the autoimmune protocol (plus eggs as a reintroduction). Grain, nut,seed, dairy free, etc. I am also am low carb at about 100g. Not saying you should do this diet at all, but letting you know it is possible to gain even with restrictions.

Basically eat fattier cuts of meat like 80-85% ground beef, poultry thighs, lamb, seafood like salmon and sardines, offal (can easily be hidden in meatloaf or burgers), avocados, starchier vegetables from winter squashes, rutabagas, and parsnips to higher sweet potatoes and white potatoes. Add a tablespoon or 2 of oil to every dish. With fatty meats, you can save the extra fat to cook other food. If you eat scrambled eggs, mix some mayo and green olives in them. Other cooking fats like tallow and rendered duck are higher in calories than evoo. Full fat coconut milk is a decent higher cal dairy alternative. Those are some things i can think of on the top of my head.

I'm not trying to gain weight I'm trying to loose it.

• emmaellery1989
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know I seem like an incredibly difficult person. But through the years I have discovered that having a very simple diet such as meat, fish and veg has really helped me control my stomach pains and my weight.
  • emmaellery1989
    Options
    I can't have gluten either. I sometimes have gluten free pasta but it's so full of sugar! I also get severe stomach ache from rice :s

Who adds sugar to pasta? I've just looked up a few gf pastas, none of which had sugar..
    Undereating consistently is not healthy. Make calorie dense salads with roasted starchy vegies cooked in fat, with fattier protein (chicken thighs, salmon, beef, whole eggs etc), with calorie dense dressings (homemade mayo is delicious!)

Yes I know it's not healthy that's why I'm trying to get in more healthy calories. Gluten free pasta is usually higher in calories than normal pasta that's why I try to avoid it. Anything heavy or carb like makes me Bloat up and be in agony for hours.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I can't have gluten either. I sometimes have gluten free pasta but it's so full of sugar! I also get severe stomach ache from rice :s

Who adds sugar to pasta? I've just looked up a few gf pastas, none of which had sugar..
    Undereating consistently is not healthy. Make calorie dense salads with roasted starchy vegies cooked in fat, with fattier protein (chicken thighs, salmon, beef, whole eggs etc), with calorie dense dressings (homemade mayo is delicious!)

Yes I know it's not healthy that's why I'm trying to get in more healthy calories. Gluten free pasta is usually higher in calories than normal pasta that's why I try to avoid it. Anything heavy or carb like makes me Bloat up and be in agony for hours.

Thats got nothing to do with being full of sugar, which was your original reason for not eating it. Confused as to why you have an issue with a food having more calories when your original post was about not eating enough calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    so I mainly live on meat, fish, veg, nuts and some fruit.

Taking your list.....
    Don't go for lean cuts of meat.
    Oily fish.
    Starchy carbs in your veg selection.
    More nuts.
    More fruit including higher calorie ones like bananas.

No eggs? No grains/cereals?

By the way there is no such thing as healthy or unhealthy calories - it's simply a measure of energy.
    Healthy foods, sure. But think of your diet in its entirety including your calorie allowance.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    <
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I am gaining weight doing the autoimmune protocol (plus eggs as a reintroduction). Grain, nut,seed, dairy free, etc. I am also am low carb at about 100g. Not saying you should do this diet at all, but letting you know it is possible to gain even with restrictions.

Basically eat fattier cuts of meat like 80-85% ground beef, poultry thighs, lamb, seafood like salmon and sardines, offal (can easily be hidden in meatloaf or burgers), avocados, starchier vegetables from winter squashes, rutabagas, and parsnips to higher sweet potatoes and white potatoes. Add a tablespoon or 2 of oil to every dish. With fatty meats, you can save the extra fat to cook other food. If you eat scrambled eggs, mix some mayo and green olives in them. Other cooking fats like tallow and rendered duck are higher in calories than evoo. Full fat coconut milk is a decent higher cal dairy alternative. Those are some things i can think of on the top of my head.

I'm not trying to gain weight I'm trying to loose it.

My bad! For some reason, i thought i read in your post that you were trying to gain. Anyway, I know how frustrating it is to deal with food restrictions, and i hope some of my tips will help you anyway.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Thats got nothing to do with being full of sugar, which was your original reason for not eating it. Confused as to why you have an issue with a food having more calories when your original post was about not eating enough calories.

this! if you are trying to eat more calories why are you avoiding foods that you know have more calories???
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How did you gain weight ion the first place? Because maybe you need to eat a few of the foods that got you there, at least you know you can tolerate those.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    How did you gain weight ion the first place? Because maybe you need to eat a few of the foods that got you there, at least you know you can tolerate those.

This. Just eat whatever you ate to gain weight.