Whole 30 July 2017

Options
I have a start day, July 10th. That's the first step, right?
I'm hoping that others would like to join me on this journey! I'm nervous that without support this will be really difficult. If anyone would like to join me, please do!
Also, if anyone had completed whole 30 and would like to share helpful tips or success stories that would be grea

Replies

• Patriciar90
    Patriciar90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I want to join!
  • Jessms26
    Jessms26 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Please do! I've never done whole 30 before and I may be slightly terrified!
  • Acelyne560
    Acelyne560 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did one a few years ago and my best advice is prep your meals before hand. You can't really find ready made compliant food so it takes some food planning and prep to make your life easier.
  • Jessms26
    Options
    Thank you! That's definitely the plan! Any recipes that you really enjoyed, or easy to make lunches for work!
  • Acelyne560
    Acelyne560 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I made veggie fries all the time and dipped them in homemade mayonnaise. There was an awesome red Thai curry that I made a lot and continue to make. Pinterest has tons of recipes and usually paleo recipes can be made whole30 as long as there are no sweeteners in them.
  • Jessms26
    Options
    Thanks!! I'll check it out!
  • lexiehtown
    lexiehtown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'll join ya! I've been so ready to try this and have been researching it. The only variation is that I'll be adding an extra potato or avacado with some meals to keep my supply up while BF'ing my son.
  • Jessms26
    Options
    They don't really limit the amount that you eat so you definitely can do that! His health is definitely important too! I'm going o be creating my own meal plans just because alot of the suggested ones have alot of peppers and mushrooms and I'm not a fan.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a round (started July 1) although I had a situation where I ate something non compliant today but it was necessary. I was out mountain biking in the heat and it was either eat or pass out. I chose eat.

This is my third round in the last year and I'm honestly not following it to the letter because I'm doing it more so as a reset to get my sugar demon under control. There are a couple good Facebook groups I can recommend if you like or feel free to PM me with any questions. I've read a couple of the books which I'd suggest if you haven't done that already.

It's been a really great program for me. I highly recommend it. I especially loved her Food Freedom book.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I just started today!! I have a Pinterest page packed with recipes. I usually meal prep my breakfasts, lunches and two snacks for the day anyway on Sundays to be better prepared for my work week, so meal prep isn't something new for me. Dinners I usually keep open, but I usually get really lazy and order Chik Fil A or something instead of cook. Can't do that anymore! I'm here for ya!
  • Jessms26
    Options
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    I'm currently on a round (started July 1) although I had a situation where I ate something non compliant today but it was necessary. I was out mountain biking in the heat and it was either eat or pass out. I chose eat.

This is my third round in the last year and I'm honestly not following it to the letter because I'm doing it more so as a reset to get my sugar demon under control. There are a couple good Facebook groups I can recommend if you like or feel free to PM me with any questions. I've read a couple of the books which I'd suggest if you haven't done that already.

It's been a really great program for me. I highly recommend it. I especially loved her Food Freedom book.

My husband and I bought the whole 30 book! We went grocery shopping and will be doing meal prep today!
  • Jessms26
    Options
    I just started today!! I have a Pinterest page packed with recipes. I usually meal prep my breakfasts, lunches and two snacks for the day anyway on Sundays to be better prepared for my work week, so meal prep isn't something new for me. Dinners I usually keep open, but I usually get really lazy and order Chik Fil A or something instead of cook. Can't do that anymore! I'm here for ya!

I feel like breakfast is going to be my biggest struggle. I usually have coffee and something snackable(granola with almonds with chocolate covered coffee beans) for breakfast but I can't do that anymore. Hopefully I can find something that works for me. I just have a hard time feeling able to eat until a few hours after I get up.
  • AgileK9
    Options
    Breakfast was the hardest for me too. I started doing egg cups with veggies but got bored quickly with those. So this sounds like an odd breakfast but I keep a thing of Costco pulled pork in the fridge and some steamed veggies. It's quick to throw in a container to take to work and microwave.
  • changeconsumeme
    Options
    You can make a compliant trail mix! And you can still have coffee. I made a simple creamer from a recipe I found on Pinterest.

-2 cups almond milk (no added sugar variety)
    -1-2 pitted dates
    -1 tsp cinnamon
    -1/4 vanilla bean, seeds scraped from the pod OR 1 oz raw cacao nibs (I did the cacao)

Blend and grind the heck out of it. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Shake it really, really well before it goes in your coffee!

You can also just do spices and coconut oil blended until well incorporated and frothy!

I did sweet potato toast this morning with avocado, egg, pico and chili lime seasoning.
  • Jessms26
    Options
    That creamer sounds awesome! I'm going to try a week of cold brew coffee (because it's not as bitter as regular black coffee) and see how that goes! If I'm still struggling this will be on my prep for next week!
    This week's lunch/dinner menu is stir fry chicken, chili, steak and green beans, and grilled chicken with roasted potatoes.
  • AgileK9
    Options
    So technically, homemade creamer with dates is not compliant because it's is replacing something like regular sweetened creamer. There are some good compliant creamers like Nutpods which you can get on Amazon or at some stores or Califia unsweetened creamer.

I guess it depends on how to the book you want to be. My first round I wasn't completely compliant because I didn't know as much. My second I was by the book and now my third, I'm eating compliant but not necessarily following all the rules, like I am counting calories and weighing myself.

There is a Whole30 forum you can search for answers and there is a good, but very by the book FB page called "Keep Calm and Whole30 On.' You can also just Google 'Is
    Whole30?" And it will usually give you an answer.
  • changeconsumeme
    Options
    To me personally, I disagree with the whole "sex with your pants on" no-no food rule. No matter how hard the creators of this plan try, they cannot take the "emotional relationship" of food people have away by disbarring "replacement" foods. Food is more than just fuel. We celebrate with food. We enjoy eating our food. If food was not meant to be enjoyed, we'd all be eating soylent. ;)

I mean no ill will and not trying to be argumentative, just rationalizing why I won't be following that rule for Whole 30! If it helps someone else, awesome!
  • AgileK9
    Options
    To me personally, I disagree with the whole "sex with your pants on" no-no food rule. No matter how hard the creators of this plan try, they cannot take the "emotional relationship" of food people have away by disbarring "replacement" foods. Food is more than just fuel. We celebrate with food. We enjoy eating our food. If food was not meant to be enjoyed, we'd all be eating soylent. ;)

I mean no ill will and not trying to be argumentative, just rationalizing why I won't be following that rule for Whole 30! If it helps someone else, awesome!

No worries...I just wanted to point it out so that other people understand that it's not truly compliant and in the spirit of a Whole30. Like I mentioned, it's all in how by the book you want to be with your own Whole30 but I think that if you share something like that you should tell those who are new to it that caveat.
  • Jessms26
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Day one... Breakfast will be a few pieces of steak with a fried egg, if I ever get around to eating. I have lemon water and cold brewed black coffee. Lunch will be a salad with balsamic chicken and chopped almonds with a watermelon hint water.
    What are y'all having?!