Keto Diet & Probiotics...... Yes or No

Options
Quick question?
What is y'alls thought on taking Probiotics while on Keto? What are the pros or cons if any?

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor / dietician.
    Probably wouldn't be a problem, but they're the experts, and your doctor is the one who prescribed the diet for your medical condition. Follow her/his advice.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You can eat sauerkraut and drink Kombucha or fermented tea which is very low carb because the fermentation burns up the sugar. The sourer the kombucha, the less carbs it has. (I make my own with a grape culture.) Oh and natural apple cider vinegar with the "mother." I'm not keto though - just low carb <100.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I am keto and take a probiotic, it has no adverse affect that I can tell, and my doctor recommends that I take one everyday because of the antibiotics I have taken in the past
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I doubt it would hurt anything.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of probiotics. Gut health is important. I drink Kefir.
    I also personally believe that beer is a probiotic. So... I drink that too
  • HeatherCSamps17
    HeatherCSamps17 Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I am going to add a daily dose in and see how it goes!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    You can eat sauerkraut and drink Kombucha or fermented tea which is very low carb because the fermentation burns up the sugar. The sourer the kombucha, the less carbs it has. (I make my own with a grape culture.) Oh and natural apple cider vinegar with the "mother." I'm not keto though - just low carb <100.

the question is how much of this actually ends up in the gut and doesn't get destroyed in the stomach.
  • HeatherCSamps17
    HeatherCSamps17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love kombucha but the one that I buy is loaded with carbs and because I can only have 20 net carbs or less a day, unfortunately it is out the question for me!
  • fastforlife1
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    I'm a fan of probiotics. Gut health is important. I drink Kefir.
    I also personally believe that beer is a probiotic. So... I drink that too
    If you get it on tap from a local brewer, it has probably not been pasteurized $ should be loaded with probiotics.

• fastforlife1
    Options

the question is how much of this actually ends up in the gut and doesn't get destroyed in the stomach. [/quote]
    Eating/drinking Probiotics found in foods have much more likelihood of staying alive in your gut rather than a pill. Plus there are millions more of them than in pills. Eat resistant starches to keep good bacteria alive. Since keto diets don't have room for resistant starches, sour kraut and homemade Kombucha left to ferment for a long time should be eaten regularly. It only takes a tablespoon or two of both.