How long is too long to remain in a caloric deficit?

Options
2»

Replies

• vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs and took break. I ate more but still worked out hard. Now I'm going after my last 20 and eating a deficit. I didn't lose weight on my break but didn't gain either. Made some nice improvements in the gym though as far as strength.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    When we have a cheat/splurge day or two or three, is it considered a "break"?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No. It's a couple of refeed days. Read the link above. The hormonal benefits will not occur with much impact in that short a time.
  • mmapags
    Options
    vmbourg wrote: »
    I lost 20lbs and took break. I ate more but still worked out hard. Now I'm going after my last 20 and eating a deficit. I didn't lose weight on my break but didn't gain either. Made some nice improvements in the gym though as far as strength.

Bam! :)
  • phaliamfp
    phaliamfp Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just read a thread yesterday about this, but of course I can't find it now. Basically the idea is to eat at deficit for 6-10 weeks, then eat at maintenance for 10-14 days. The purpose of this is not to help weight loss, but it's mental. Anyone can "diet" for 6 weeks, knowing you get a break. You can plan this around holidays or vacations, etc. I'm going to see if I can find the thread I was reading.
  • mmapags
    Options
    phaliamfp wrote: »
    I just read a thread yesterday about this, but of course I can't find it now. Basically the idea is to eat at deficit for 6-10 weeks, then eat at maintenance for 10-14 days. The purpose of this is not to help weight loss, but it's mental. Anyone can "diet" for 6 weeks, knowing you get a break. You can plan this around holidays or vacations, etc. I'm going to see if I can find the thread I was reading.

Not correct. The mental benefit is one factor. There is also a normalization of Ghrelin and Leptin. Read the link above for goodness sake!! It tells you all you need to know.
  • phaliamfp
    Options
  • mmapags
    edited July 2017
    Options

That is the same link posted earlier in this thread and quoted. So, it appears twice. There are 2 sections. The Physiological Reasons. The Psychological Reasons. Both are important in a long term strategy to get to a healthy body weight and maintain your sanity. :p
  • phaliamfp
    Options
    Whoops, guess I should have read the whole thread!
  • mmapags
    Options
    Whoops, guess I should have read the whole thread!

It helps.....
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I took a diet break after 7 months in deficit, happily it coincided with friends in from out of town and a spa weekend.

I actually really didn't want to take a break - well I wanted to have the extra calories and more relaxed attitude but I didn't want to "lose my progress" and I actually found it really hard for the first few days.

Coming out the other side, OMG did I need that break, I have more energy going back in, I'm sleeping better and all the little lazy habits that were sneaking in to my logging are gone.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    D'oh, wrong thread. Nothing to see here.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Very interesting discussion here, thanks!