Has anyone made up their own food plan?

Options
OliveGirl128
OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So long story short, after several years of successful maintenance eating whatever I felt like, just within the correct calorie intake for my weight management goals, earlier this year I began feeling led to focus on long term health goals and started transitioning to a more whole foods, plant based diet, (reading about the Blue Zones was the start and it kind of snow balled from there). I ended up getting sucked into Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live protocol and have been more or less following his food plan for a couple months now. But, while I think he has some pretty solid ideas, more and more I've been unhappy with how strict the plan is and think some of the rules are unnecessary. I also don't track macros/micros, but last week decided to punch in a couple days and realized I was really low fat, which makes me uncomfortable.

Soooo, the past few days I've been evaluating where I'm at, thinking about what I want to accomplish etc etc. and had a moment yesterday where I was like 'screw this-I'm one of the freaking few who are actually successfully maintaining long term, I can come up with my own darn plan' :p So, I sat down and put together a weekly food 'goals' list, where I listed out all the things I want to eat, and how many servings, based on all the things I've been researching over the past few months. So for example-I'd like to hit 5 servings of nuts this week, 21 servings of fruit etc etc. I'm a nerd and love checking things off of lists, so writing a food goal list and then checking off servings throughout the day/week makes me so geeked lol.

Daily I'll base my meals around what's left of my list, but this also gives me room to eat things that I've pretty much cut out. I had real butter on my sprouted grains toast last night, for the first time in months, and it was amazing :#

Wondering if anyone else has done something similar-come up with your own food plan/outline that you follow? If so, how has it worked for you?

edit: grammar

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's called MFP and sticking to a macro and calorie goal.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Isn't that what most people do every day?
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yes, it's called MFP and sticking to a macro and calorie goal.

I don't track on MFP though and actually haven't tracked in several years, besides spot checking here and there. Calorie wise I just do some mental math throughout the day and that's pretty much how I've been maintaining.

I'm talking more about a specific food plan and creating an alternative to the plans out there like Fuhrman's, McDougall, Esselstyn etc.
  • OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017
    Options

Maybe I'm an odd duck here because I've never really followed a set plan, as far as food goes, until earlier this year, (except for a very short lived experiment with paleo eating back in the day, and that was very focused on what foods not to eat vs what I'm trying to do now and add/increase foods that I think could be beneficial)

eta: I've only lost the extra weight one time doing IF/calorie counting, so I've never done any sort of structured meal plan.

eta: clarification/grammar
  • pjowkar
    pjowkar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a big fan of Dr. Fuhrman, but the diet is too much fiber, which can cause complications due to an autoimmune disease (which is what Dr. Fuhrman claims his diet treats). I've loosely followed the rules of the 21-day fix (and have Googled container sizes) and have seen remarkable results with that, except I eat extra servings of vegetables. I think it's important to make sure to have a healthy balance of fats, protein, and carbs (yes, veggies count as carbs) while at the same time avoiding processed ingredients. At the same time, I've found that when I take a cheat day, I feel terrible the following day and retain so much more water.
  • OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017
    Options
    pjowkar wrote: »
    I'm actually a big fan of Dr. Fuhrman, but the diet is too much fiber, which can cause complications due to an autoimmune disease (which is what Dr. Fuhrman claims his diet treats). I've loosely followed the rules of the 21-day fix (and have Googled container sizes) and have seen remarkable results with that, except I eat extra servings of vegetables. I think it's important to make sure to have a healthy balance of fats, protein, and carbs (yes, veggies count as carbs) while at the same time avoiding processed ingredients. At the same time, I've found that when I take a cheat day, I feel terrible the following day and retain so much more water.

I do think Fuhrman is pretty solid overall, so I'm still leaning heavily towards his plan, but I'm going to add more oil/fat in and then not be so strict with the no dairy/meat thing. Things like fish can be beneficial nutritionally, so I'm going to aim to eat wild caught salmon twice a week etc. I'm also re-introducing eggs in small amounts, which he'd frown at lol.
  • LifeIs420
    LifeIs420 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    yes i have
    loads of pizza
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    LifeIs420 wrote: »
    yes i have
    loads of pizza

That could work too :D
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't know what most people do, but I recognize my own style in the description of your current planning approach. I'm using a spreadsheet with colored "slots" for fruit and vegetables, and I used to have one for nuts too. I enjoy a more relaxed attitude towards food and a more traditional meal structure than I've had for, I think, twenty years, and the snowball effect that it creates is amazing: Cooking more from scratch is fun and a lot cheaper than readymeals; letting myself use as much fat, sugar and salt I need to make the food taste great means I only eat what I need, but I eat it up - so almost no food waste anymore; I plan meals I want so I'm always looking forward to meals; the high degree of both predictability and flexibility makes me more spontaneous and open for new flavors.
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    I don't know what most people do, but I recognize my own style in the description of your current planning approach. I'm using a spreadsheet with colored "slots" for fruit and vegetables, and I used to have one for nuts too. I enjoy a more relaxed attutude towards food and a more traditional meal structure than I've had for, I think, twenty years, and the snowball effect that it creates is amazing: Cooking more from scratch is fun and a lot cheaper than readymeals; letting myself use as much fat, sugar and salt I need to make the food taste great means I only eat what I need, but I eat it up - so almost no food waste anymore; I pkan meals I want so I'm always looking forward to meals; the high degree of both predictability and flexibility makes me more spontaneous and open for new flavors.

Yes, this exactly! I'll try and post a picture of what my check list looks like for this week, maybe that will help clarify what I'm talking about :)
  • OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ok, sorry if my first post was confusing-this is what I'm talking about: creating your own plan where you aim to eat a certain amount of certain foods that you think are beneficial for your health/weight/fitness goals etc etc. Here's my first (trial) list that I'm going to work on this week and I'll base my meals around it-

bfeao1f3qgj5.jpg
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier to prelog your meals to ensure you hit your macros? I know a really cool app that lets you do this...
  • OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier to prelog your meals to ensure you hit your macros? I know a really cool app that lets you do this...

In 5 years of weight loss/maintenance I've never stuck to logging for more than a few days at a time, it's just not a good fit for me. I've tried several sites as well, besides MFP, like cronometer, SP etc and nothing stuck for long. I've got my calories locked down, but right now I'm focusing on adding certain things to my diet, so a simple check list like what I'm trying is probably best. It will give me some structure, but still gives me more wiggle room than what I had been doing with ETL.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Maybe I'm an odd duck here because I've never really followed a set plan, as far as food goes, until earlier this year, (except for a very short lived experiment with paleo eating back in the day, and that was very focused on what foods not to eat vs what I'm trying to do now and add/increase foods that I think could be beneficial)

I don't do a specific plan, and honesty every time I think about writing down what I plan to eat for the week I feel rebellious and bored.

What I do is have a plan in my head that is extremely flexible:

Usually 1 main breakfast with a couple of alternatives, all of which are built around multiple vegetables (including cooked or raw greens) and the amount of protein I like at breakfast.

Lunch and dinner (lunch is often dinner leftovers although sometimes I cook lunches ahead for a few days and I change the vegetable sides) are based around protein (meat, eggs, dairy, or beans/lentils -- I know this is different for you, obviously) and a couple kinds of vegetables, at least.

What specific proteins and vegetables I use is something I know even though I don't sit down and plan it. I get my meat from a farm, so usually think about what I will want in the next few days and get it out of the freezer accordingly. I also might decide to do something in the slow cooker or plan ahead a dried bean based meal (that will be multiple meals, of course).

For vegetables, during this time of year I get them from a CSA (a box from a farm) and simply work with what I have. I know what I have, so think about how to use it. For me this is more fun and creative than trying to plan meals around specific vegetables and usually you can use a huge range of different ones, it does not matter. If I have something I need to use that I am less familiar with (rare now), I might pull out a good vegetable cookbook to get ideas. (Off season I buy the vegetables that are on sale/look good to me every few days and use those -- being practiced with the box, it's easy.)

I usually have misc things -- fruit, avocado, nuts -- that I regularly include in my day. This time of year I have seasonal fruits, so include them as I desire, perhaps as a finish to the meal I'll eat cherries or I'll put apricots on a salad or I'll cook peaches as part of a sauce for pork chops. Avocados I will use as a side when I have them. Nuts I usually eat at least once a day (different ones) -- either as a finisher to a meal or maybe I'll put some nut butter in greek yogurt (I'm currently obsessed with walnut butter) or I will use them as part of a meal preparation.

Olive oil and the like I use as salad dressing or for cooking.

I like pickled foods, so often use those as accents.

I love fish and think it's good to include in my diet, so I have it quite frequently but don't feel compelled to plan it in. On the whole with nutrition I think it's not necessary to overcomplicate it and just try to balance having a diversity of foods and eating seasonally when possible. The only real rules I have have to do with getting a decent amount of protein and multiple vegetables/decent sized servings in all meals and making sure to combine cooked and raw vegetables, and to have greens (chard, kale, collards, spinach, arugula, beet greens, and on and on) in some form often, ideally a couple times a day, which is really easy since these are the vegetables that always seem to be in my box no matter the time of year (varying, of course) and which are reasonable inexpensive even off season.

That said, if planning more specifically seems fun to you, I think that's great. I just would find it ruined the fun of cooking for me, and I tend to agree with Pollan (over Fuhrman, maybe) on nutritionism.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

In 5 years of weight loss/maintenance I've never stuck to logging for more than a few days at a time, it's just not a good fit for me. I've tried several sites as well, besides MFP, like cronometer, SP etc and nothing stuck for long. I've got my calories locked down, but right now I'm focusing on adding certain things to my diet, so a simple check list like what I'm trying is probably best. It will give me some structure, but still gives me more wiggle room than what I had been doing with ETL.

Ah, the check list thing actually could work for me, though -- I'd find that less burdensome.

(And some love planning meals just like some love prelogging, it is personality.)
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Ah, the check list thing actually could work for me, though -- I'd find that less burdensome.

(And some love planning meals just like some love prelogging, it is personality.)

Yeah, I wish I could stick with logging but every time I try I can only do a few days before I rebel :p So a check list might be a good compromise since it will give me a bit of structure/an outline of a plan to follow. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes, it can't hurt to try at least!
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

So spending five years and still not having a good system is easier than developing the habit of weighing and logging? If that's true, no one can help you here. Weighing and logging is what works for us.
  • OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »

So spending five years and still not having a good system is easier than developing the habit of weighing and logging? If that's true, no one can help you here. Weighing and logging is what works for us.

I think you're misunderstanding where I'm coming from-I've been successfully maintaining a 50lb loss and excellent health markers for 4 years now., (I'm also a participant of the NWCR).

Separate from that though, I've been feeling more and more led to start focusing on the quality of my diet, and to get away from having a woe that's primarily built on Lean Cusines and fast food :p I've become very interested in the Blue Zones and longevity of life issues, as well as the big meta-study that came out recently from the Imperial College London, about veg/fruit quantity. That all led me to Dr. Fuhrman's books/site and I've been experimenting with his structured ETL plan over the past couple months.

But I've realized his plan is a bit too rigid for me so I'm looking at creating my own food plan that still loosely follows his protocol, but with some more wiggle room. I started this thread to see if anyone else has created their own eating plan that focuses on certain foods, like ETL does, but it looks like pretty much no one else does. That's ok, I'm going to give it a try and see how it works for me.

As a sidenote-I've been on and off of MFP for over 3 years now, and there's lots of forum members who don't log here, especially those who are in maintenance. I also do use my food scale regularly as part of my maintenance plan. That's completely separate from what this thread was about though.

edit: clarity
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, appreciate the feedback :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Like you, I don't log every meal day in day out only occasionally. Knowing your portion size from the days when you were weighing and logging pedantically, really helps. Knowing your personal needs.

For me, its been about discovering what worked for me. I try to keep things as varied as possible veg and fruit wise, home prepared meals for the most part. There is increasing research into our digestive biome which is indicating strong results, from a positive "well being" aspect as well as digestive comfort area. Eating as varied a diet as possible is beneficial particularly when the foods are fibrous, to generalise, we are not eating nearly enough fibre to support our essential microbes in variety or numbers we require. It is thought they outnumber our human cells times over ideally. I wonder if your, aid memoir, has scope for this consideration.

I second your concern for a diet which is too low fat, fat not only helps absorb many vitamins it is also required for the structure of many of our hormones.

I encourage you to do what works for you. If this or that idea chimes with your ethos go for it. At this moment in time I don't think we benefit by following someone specific thoughts on what they think is "a good diet", we only get one go at this so, make your own way and be happy.