Beautiful Behaviors - July 2017

Options

Replies

• jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Good morning, all! LOVE seeing all the new posters... welcome everyone, you've found a safe place to plan and vent and live without worrying about people hating on you or shaming you. we've all been there... we all ARE there... and this is what works for us long term. it's all about loving yourself first!

it's a lesson i'm still learning. i had a terrible week, food wise. john was away and i did not respect my body's needs or my own goals and plans. :( however, i'm ready today to take back control! LEA, i'm starting today. I commit to tracking every bite four days per week. These will be days that I am not in the office, because those days miraculously are so much easier than the days I work from home.

last month i committed to drinking 2 qts of water a day, and that's become a habit. this month i'm working on tracking. lea and i are trying to build a beautiful habit each month. i haven't lost an ounce though... my body and mind fight me the minute i try to make a change. i'm going to be persistent though... that will be what's different this time. no quitting, just continuing in the up and down of it all.

breakfast is coming! i'm so lucky that john loves to cook breakfast. i have a good one every day he's home.

enjoy your day, and be extra good to yourself!

jess
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I made it through the Fourth without spiking my blood sugar! Bizarrely, my sugar which has been high for me lately was unexpectedly low all day - I tested after eating and it was under 100, so I ate more and later it was in the 80's. Probably because I worked out so much the day before. Tabata in particular will make my glucose levels drop the day after.

@nickiphillips1 Thanks for the suggestions! I manage pretty well when I don't have to worry about other people, it's eating at my mom's house or at restaurants that's tricky. I can generally tolerate up to about 50g carbs at a time, but lately it's been weird - I think because my lupus is acting up and probably raising my cortisol levels. Usually I have Greek yogurt with berries, or an orange and some cottage cheese, after working out, like you said, protein plus carbs.

@katadx - melatonin can help you sleep when you need to sleep. That and being young are about the only tips I have for coping with swing shifts.

@str8bowbabe It sounds like your back is letting you do more, good to hear!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! First I have never actually introduced myself...my name is Kristene. Cant believe I have not done that yet. LOL Anyway, thank you all for the kind words. I am still at it. Not doing great on my eating at dinner because I have so much to do outside at the house that when Im finally inside (usually right at dark) Im so tired that I just grab something or like last night I ordered pizza. GRRRRR! But ya gotta eat so...

Anyway...welcome to all the new ladies in this thread. Love to see this thread spread.

@aleahurst - hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Hope you are getting outside for a bit each day.
    @happysherri - glad you got to go on that mini vaca. Everyone needs one every now and then.

My beautiful behavior this week...get in more cardio. I feel I haven't had enough cardio due to the back so going to try to up that. I have a double header on Friday night so that will definitely help. Also, I am trying to shoot my traditional bow every day. I want to get proficient enough to hunt with it this fall...even if its just small game. And finally more water, more water and more water.

Have a great day ladies!
  • finngirl61
    finngirl61 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi all, glad to see the new posts. I love the encouragement and positivity. Unfortunately, I'm still going UP, and I've been logging. Very, very discouraging. I think it's partly due to too many carbs, and not enough protein. Plus, spouse stress continues and that gets me down. Any suggestions? I feel like I don't know if I can really lose weight ever. I need to lose 60 + lbs. more.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    @finngirl61 i feel you, i'm right there too. i've gained weight since starting this group in December. but i refuse to give up trying to improve my health. you're not alone! keep trying different things, upping your protein sounds like a great idea. i read that putting new good things into your life is more productive than trying to take out bad things... the good crowds out the bad. maybe focus on adding more veggies, or more steps, or more water, etc etc?
  • finngirl61
    Options
    @jessiquoi - thanks for the encouraging words. I'm determined to continue to log my foods, and will add more protein, veggies, etc. You're right about adding more good things; it makes me think about weeds. The weeds will take over, unless you either pull them, or crowd them out with nicer plants. It gets so discouraging. I applaud your 'determination'. Thanks!!!!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    hello, everyone, and TGIF! today i am committed to tracking every bite of food. i'm usually great at this until about 5pm, when everything falls apart. today i am going to enter that time phase mindfully and remember that i'm committed. i refuse to let the usual amnesia take over and unconsciously feed myself. wish me luck!

today is going to be a hard day, because i started it off by upsetting john and now we're both upset. i tend to eat that stuff away, but not today. when he wakes from his nap, we'll have to resume our conversation and keep at it until all is well. we're good at that, but this morning was a doozy. :(

yay for the weekend! who has beautiful plans?

later,
    jess

• gillykh
    gillykh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @jessiquoi, that sounds like a solid strategy for evenings. I've struggled with that time of the day before, too.

I'm having a hard time this weekend. I have a lot of free time. I would normally go to the gym or browse around a store, but I started experiencing some sudden pain in my knee last night, so I'm taking it easy physically this weekend. My husband is out of town. I feel both bored and like I don't want to do anything. I can't imagine what to make of that. :)

Have a good weekend All.
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have been reading and keeping up with all of you. I have struggled with my health being good bad good bad good... I was much more successful at watching my calorie intake last month... Huh. So not much to write, but still love to you all.

Lea
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Since my husband and I are both freelancers, weekends are that time all the other people emerge to get in our way, rather than a special time for us. Seriously, we trade off several protections (like employer paid health insurance!) for the privilege of working for ourselves, but the benefits include going to parks with no one else there, grocery shopping with no lines, and never facing rush hour traffic. We had to drive in midtown during rush hour last week to make his doctor's appointment, and I can't imagine doing that every day. I hated humanity by the time we made it through - what a way to start every morning!

So, on weekends we quietly stay home and avoid the crowds.

For the Fourth of July I made red white and blue cole slaw (well, purple cabbage was as close as I could get to blue) using mostly buttermilk instead of mayo. It was a huge hit, but now I have all this buttermilk, since buttermilk comes in cartons and the slaw only used a cup. I haven't tried to drink buttermilk since my grandma let me taste it when I was eight years old, so I tasted it. Bleagh! Yep, still hate buttermilk. Most of the obvious foods made with buttermilk, like biscuits and pancakes, are lousy for diabetics, so I did some poking around on the internet for ideas, and I ended up making a summer squash gratin. It turned out delicious! Melt 1 tbsp butter, cook 200g (1 medium) sliced onions until they start to soften, add 400g (2 medium) sliced yellow squash and cook until it starts to soften and brown a little, maybe 10 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper and maybe a little coriander powder. Mix 1 cup buttermilk with 2 tbsp bisquick (you could use flour) 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, pour over squash and onions in a casserole dish. Top with additional 2 tbsp Parmesan. Bake at 450 for 15 - 25 minutes until top is browning and squash is cooked, let rest 5 minutes before serving. 4 servings, 113 calories and 11g net carbs. You could lower the carbs by leaving out the bisquick, but it thickens the sauce.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    good saturday, people! i tracked every bite yesterday, although i did go over. i was totally honest, and i believe it kept me from eating even more, so yay. today is another tracking day. so far, so good. breakfast is done. i'm hoping committing to only 4 days per week will help me be successful. i hate tracking, and i'm not great at it. i think i really don't like being that conscious, and i think that's a lot of my problem with food. i eat unconsciously. so tracking is way important for my success.

@rheddmobile your lifestyle sounds enviable!
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yes! Go us! I also tracked today. Woooo.

I got out of bed and put healthy foods into clean containers so that I can eat them more easily.

I put celery into a pretty glass jar. Organic raisins into another glass dish. Carrots are next.

Someone please pray for me, I want to get exercise this week! It's going to take an act of God to get me there...

@rheddmobile - now I'm craving squash! That sounds so good. Farmer's market is Tuesday.

@jessiquoi - what a pleasure it is to track our food together! Well. Okay. Truth. Since you suggested that you are keeping up with tracking, I also am doing it. :)@happysherri - are you in this too? Who else is making July a great tracking month?

Hi to all the new posters!!! I'm so glad to see you here.

Love to all.

Lea
  • finngirl61
    Options
    I'm in for July tracking. I HATE tracking and didn't use to. Why? It's so silly to pretend you didn't eat something right?
  • finngirl61
    Options
    Off I go. Track, track, track . . . Good luck all you wonderful women.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    finngirl61 wrote: »
    I'm in for July tracking. I HATE tracking and didn't use to. Why? It's so silly to pretend you didn't eat something right?

Oh gosh, this is so tempting. It's why I have my diary private, too, I made it public briefly and noticed I was tempted to lie about what I ate so I would look better to others. If you don't log it, it doesn't count, right? :*

Yesterday I ate a salad with walnuts on it and forgot to log the walnuts. Later I remembered... when I was just about to my calorie goal for the day... I'm all "No one will know if I just forget to log them, I'll just pretend I didn't remember..." Then I shook myself, logged the stupid walnuts, and did 10 minutes of hard cycling so I could come in under my goal. Ha!

I'm in for July tracking, but I track obsessively anyway because of my diabetes - I like to know how different foods affect my glucose.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Good morning

Update: The bf, kids and I did go to Holiday World amusement park on Friday. It got off to a bumpy start - me yelling at the bf for running unnecessary errands the morning of the trip?! This made us get a late start to our trip (I don't understand mens' brains). However, we all let it go and had an Amazing time!!! We rode tons of water rollercoasters and then the kids rode some of the tall dry ones (I can't do the regular rollercoasters anymore). And NO RAIN, all sunny all day, which the forecast even on that morning said rain half the day for that area :)<3 Then I got to spend a big part of Saturday with my daughter and we went to brunch. I am loving this 2017 Summer of Adventure!!!
    Exercise: On the down side - I have not worked out in almost 2 weeks, I am definitely getting back at this week, because it's also my therapy. Although, it won't be too much because I do have a dentist appt and will be numb that day. Not worried about getting back to killing workouts - because I love it.
    Food: I have been eating whatever I want - so not good at all! I am getting back on track today. This morning was back to my egg white omelette with veggies. Getting back on track won't be too hard for me because the healthy foods I eat - I actually enjoy. I'm not worried.

Thought for the day: Every adventure requires a first step. ***Don't wait around to have fun. No matter how small, make that effort. Don't wait around for someone to go with that cancels (go alone and enjoy). Don't wait for the perfect weather or time. Don't wait for the right place. Don't wait for the right idea. Last summer I waited around for people to go with me to hiking, shopping, etc. Everyone seemed busy or had to work. This year as some of you already know I declared my 2017 Summer of Adventure. So far I have been to several local pools, local small beaches and state parks, a larger beach further away, amusement and waterpark, shopping, and more. I just decided to do these things and went. Some are just small adventures but so fun, and a lot don't even cost hardly any money. Go out and have adventures, try something new!

***I will survive Monday lol - I'm tired :D
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    @aleahurst sending prayers for strength and energy! Ooh and pretty containers also help me feel encouraged to eat healthy. I wish I had more mason jars! I'll have to scope out some of the secondhand stores nearby.
    @rheddmobile That sounds lovely! I always feel that being active outside is more fun than inside because there's so much to look at and encounter like your serenading bird!
    @happysherri Awesome! Water rollercoasters are the best. I like the black anaconda in the Wisconsin Dells. Also, it's good to get back to your usual breakfast isn't it? I've been waiting months for blueberries to be cheap enough where I live so I can have my blueberry brown sugar oatmeal every morning. Your thought for the day was totally my whole day yesterday! We went out on the river and my dad begged me to jetski with him and I was super scared but I went and it was amazing!!! Super relaxing for some reason too lol. Your adventures sound awesome and I'll try to fit more mini-adventures in as well!!

I've been feeling out of energy for my workouts. Since I'm back on my feet at work all day I haven't been doing any cardio, and I thought that would give me plenty of energy for lifting, but I think work takes it out of me a lot more than I think. It's also been a good month or so since my last real elliptical session. I used to do 45 minutes every day, and I feel a little guilty for not doing it anymore. I also think I've stalled making progress with my strength training and it's making me unmotivated. I'm just gonna keep trying to do it every other day and see if I get over it. I'm tempted to throw in a cardio session on sundays or fridays to see if i've still got it. It's hard to tell since my elliptical at home isn't the same as the nice Pre-cor I used at college. All ellipticals are a little different ya know?
    On the bright side, my parents are back from washington! We can finally cook for a group again. It was hard to cook for just my sister and I. We won't go through an 8 pack of hamburger buns!

Power through that monday!