1200 per day

Options
I've been at this weight loss thing over and over so I know what to do and my biggest problem is staying on plan. I was at goal for many years and was always thin growing up and as a young adult. My "biggest" years (other than when pregnant) have been the last seven years and going back and forth with losing weight.

Does anyone else lose slowly even at 1200 per day? On days I walk or work out I don't eat back those calories either. The weight comes off slow. I got to goal last year and stayed there for most of the year but gained it all back very quickly this past winter. Now it seems the weight doesn't want to come off at all or I'm having a hard time jump starting my weight loss and that just makes me want to be content where I am and give up.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what are your stats?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    what are your stats?

This^^ Height, current weight, goal weight. :)
  • lindyyy87
    lindyyy87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, OP. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I'm 5'3 and 125 pounds, lifting weights 4x per week and attending a one hour cardio/body pump class 1x per week. I just want to get down to 115!

I haven't been weighing my coffee creamer or the 1 tbs of peanut butter I put in my oatmeal every day, but I don't eat back exercise calories so I feel like I should have a little bit of wiggle room.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I started at 190, 5'2". 1200 cals per week. I am now down to 171.

As someone else asked, what are your stats?
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Boo! I'm so confused. What works??? The never ending question. I'll keep trying.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    5ft 2" and in 55 days I'm down 13lbs :) I burn more than I eat and I'm on 1200 calories per day. I exercise for about 30 mins per day on my Elliptical trainer and walk quite a lot. Seems simple but it's working for me :)
  • gillidovew
    gillidovew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Maybe your metabolic rate is naturally low. Mine is and I lose slowly but steadily even being overweight to start with. Try looking for other measures of success as well - how do your clothes feel, can you lift heavier, run further or faster? If you are exercising you will be building muscle which weighs heavier. We obsess so much about being 'good' or 'bad', 'on' or 'off' healthy eating, don't think about 'giving up', if you are eating healthily and exercising you are doing your body good. And try to relax about the number on the scales as stress can interfere with weight loss. You don't say how much you want to lose in total or weekly, but it can be unrealistic to lose high if you are not overweight to begin with as creating that deficit needed is not possible. Even a 0.5lb is a loss will build up over time. I know what you mean about w
    anting to jump your weight loss and maybe want a 3, 4, 5, 6 lb etc loss in the first week, but a month will pass anyway and each loss adds up
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    I personally think 1200 is too low. No matter what the experts say about eating at deficit, it actually will leave me hungry and tired to get a good workout. I'm 5'4", CW 116lbs, and I'm supposed to eat 1200 or so at maintenance?.. but I eat 1600-1700. I feel way more satisfied! Have you read about increasing calories to lose weight/burn fat?

I eat 1200 to lose. But if I work out, I eat more. Just up your intake on the days you work out.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    MFP set my calories at 1200, but I eat back my exercise calories. My weight has fluctuated (which is normal) but over the past 7 weeks I have lost at a rate of just half a pound a week. That's slow but steady, so I take that as a win. Don't give up!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    At 5'4", 118 lbs (30 year old female), if I don't work out my maintenance calories are only about 1600/day, so if I were to try to lose on 1200 it would be slow, less than a pound per week.

When you're female, shorter, lighter (or older), your body just doesn't burn as much in a day and so loss can be slower, but it's still not a good idea to cut your calories much further because it's very, very difficult to get the nutrition you need (both macro- and micro-nutrients) on fewer.

The best remedy for this IMO is increasing exercise. If I throw in even a 5K run or a fitness class or my 45 bike commute and focus on walking more, I can bump my TDEE up to 2000 at least without a massive effort, and that means I can either lose faster or eat more than 1200 and still lose.

The other option is, of course, to understand that my body just doesn't burn as much as larger/more active people and to be happy with a half pound a week.

I've been in maintenance for several years, but after periods of overindulgence, I've had to cut a few times and this is always the way it is for me. It can get very frustrating if you don't adjust your expectations a bit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    I personally think 1200 is too low. No matter what the experts say about eating at deficit, it actually will leave me hungry and tired to get a good workout. I'm 5'4", CW 116lbs, and I'm supposed to eat 1200 or so at maintenance?.. but I eat 1600-1700. I feel way more satisfied! Have you read about increasing calories to lose weight/burn fat?

What calculator gives you a goal of 1,200 to maintain? I'm 5'4, 108, and my sedentary calorie goal is 1,460.
  • JiviLynn
    JiviLynn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    An average of 1400 calories is about as low as I can get before I'm ready to snap, but even there, I lose slowly. But here's the kicker...slow weight loss is exactly what my stats predict will happen. I'm 5'4", about 118 pounds and am fairly inactive outside of dedicated exercise time, so I just can't create a big enough calorie deficit to lose more than 0.5 pound per week. It's not a surprise and it's not disappointing; it's just what the math says is going to happen.

With that said, if your stats predict that you should be losing more quickly, it's time to look at how you're calculating your intake. Are you measuring using a food scale, measuring cups/spoons, or eyeballing? Are you actually averaging 1200 calories per day, or are there days where you're eating more and throwing off your weekly average? Are you eating back your exercise calories, and if so, how are you calculating those totals?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Boo! I'm so confused. What works??? The never ending question. I'll keep trying.

Eating fewer calories than your body burns in a day is what works.....period.

Now, some people are close to goal and will lose slowly. When close to goal, you can't create a huge deficit in a healthy manner. Your body always needs a certain amount of fuel (heart, lungs, kidneys, etc).

For 2 pounds a week you would need a 1,000 calorie deficit everyday, for 1 pound it's a 500 calorie deficit. Google your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)......this is maintenance for you.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • annabel92
    annabel92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft6 - started at 132lbs and I'm now 118lbs (4 months in).

I started on 1,200 calories and about a month ago (or maybe 2, I can't remember!) I upped it to 1,300. Everyone is different and I can't say why, but I've actually found that I've lost weight more steadily since I've upped it!

I found eating 1,200 was fine but do make sure you're choosing highly nutritional foods, as lower calorie goals can limit your much needed nutrition intake.

Also, make sure your considering your calories as 'NET'. If your goal is 1,200 and you burn 500 calories with exercise, please ensure you're eating some of these back. Eating under 1,000 calories NET is really bad for you, and you should aim to closer to 1,200.

Obviously, account for water retention/water weight and fluctuations too - these are natural.

Good luck! :)

P.S. Happy to connect with anyone for motivation/food ideas - my diary is open so you can see what I eat etc. for low calorie days, if it helps!