Sources for nutrition info

Magiclint
Magiclint Posts: 11 Member
Hi all.

So I'm going to the gym 5-6 times per week. I've been seeing some results but all the experts and info online say that gym is 15%, nutrition is 85% (or thereabouts). So I've been trying to eat well, using MyFitnessPal to log all intake, but beyond brown rice, chicken and vegetables, I'm a bit stuck on what else to have.

I work an office job so cannot eat "meals" throughout the day, so am looking for information on suitable snacks, lunches etc that fit in to an office worklife.

I'm happy having the likes of porridge for breakfast, and sometimes have poached egg on toast for lunch, and then dinner usually consists of a meal prep of brown rice, chicken and veg. I'm cutting at the moment so have a 1500 cal goal per day (with more when cardio is added).

However, I'm struggling to make up the calories, and more importantly struggling to know what to eat. Is there a good source anyone has that specifies basically what a nutritionist would say?

Thanks.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Sit down to eat, eat meals, plan your meals to get variety, eat food you like, and nutrition will fall into place by itself.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Even on a 1500 cals target lunches can be normal office packed lunch type stuff - You don't need to do anything special but just make smart choices.

If you;ve got access to m/wave and fridge then there are lots of options for a packed lunch. Even without most sandwiches, wraps, and salads can be made to fit in with your cals.

Evening meals, why just chicken/rice/veg? Waht foods do you like - Curry, Chilli, steaks, stews, pasta bakes/lasagne, pretty much anything really can be made as lower cals versions and therefore are open to you.
  • Magiclint
    Evening meals, why just chicken/rice/veg?

Mainly because I'm finding my feet on smart food choices. I want to make sure everything I'm putting into my body is good, healthy and nutritional fuel for getting my end goal (cutting and shredding). I guess I'm looking for a book or resource that describe simple meals that meet nutritional needs.

• msumlin2015
    msumlin2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Bill Phillips has a cook book called Eating for Life. Balance of protein/ healthy carbs and healthy fats. It goes hand in hand with the Body for Life 12 week program. Family friendly and easy to tweak to your household needs.
  • Magiclint
    Bill Phillips has a cook book called Eating for Life. Balance of protein/ healthy carbs and healthy fats. It goes hand in hand with the Body for Life 12 week program. Family friendly and easy to tweak to your household needs.

Will take a look, thanks :)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Whenever you're low on calories, consider adding more fat to your diet. Things like avocado, full fat salad dressing, cooking with oil - easy, easy ways to up your calories.

If you're looking for meal inspiration, check out skinnytaste.com and/or budgetbytes.com - lots of yummy there.

~Lyssa
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Anything I can make for dinner I can usually take for lunch too. I work in an office and prep some of my food on sundays. I warm it up in the microwave here.
  • chriscros63
    chriscros63 Posts: 14 Member
    Go ketogenic.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Magiclint wrote: »
    Evening meals, why just chicken/rice/veg?

Mainly because I'm finding my feet on smart food choices. I want to make sure everything I'm putting into my body is good, healthy and nutritional fuel for getting my end goal (cutting and shredding). I guess I'm looking for a book or resource that describe simple meals that meet nutritional needs.

There are plenty of nutritious foods you can eat. To lose weight you need to be in a deficit - you don't need to eat boring food to do so. Eat foods you enjoy! I rarely eat rice (I'd rather spend my calories/macros on dessert), or chicken (prefer other sources of protein), although I do eat mountains of vegies because I love them..

Pre planning is a great way to go to make sure you're eating sufficient calories, and to see how you're spreading your calories over the macros. You might want to calculate protein and fat minimums in grams not a percentage and use these numbers in your meal planning.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Go ketogenic.

Why?